Does anyone remember Belisle's restaurant?

eeyoresnr

DIS Veteran
Does anyone remember Belisle's Restaurant? it was on the Corner of Harbor Blvd. and Chapman Ave. 1 mile South of Disneyland. It opened as Belisle's in 1955 same year as Disneyland. Walt and his imagineers used to eat in there when Disneyland was being built. My mom worked there for 22 years, and I have 6 paper placemats that have doodles of disney characters signed by Walt and the other's who ate with him. The restaurant closed in the late 90's and now a Outback sits in it's place as well as 2 or 3 tall hotels. It broke my heart when I traveled back to So Cal in 2004 to see all those buildings sitting there.

Yes, I remember it - huge portions, huge desserts, and, well um, the prices were pretty high too. :rolleyes1 But I was sad to see it go - it was a landmark restaurant.

I was glad that Los Sanchez, the Mexican counter service restaurant that also got uprooted by the redevelopment of that block, ended up reopening down on Garden Grove Blvd west of Harbor Blvd and is doing land-office business.

my mom worked the graveyard shift and sometimes I used to go to work with her and get to stay up all night...I remember the whip cream on the hot chocolate was a mile high (or so it seems as a child) and the strawberry's in the pie were so big you had to cut them up to get them in your mouth!

I used to work at a nearby hospital and we'd go there for breakfast after a long night shift. I was sad to see it go.

Oh my goodness! I used to live at Harbor and Orangewood and used to go to Belisles all the time for the *HUGE* eclairs! Big enough for 3-4 people easy! We also used to go to Los Sanchez all the time....my ex-wife loved that place! Going back in October for the first time in about 20 years! It'll be interesting to see how the neighborhood has changed. It'll be weird to see CA where the old DL parking lot used to be. Please don't tell me, I suppose the "Happiest Place on Earth" sign is gone!?!

that is so neat to hear from people who used to eat there..... I live in Florida now, but I still lived there when they tore down Belisle and my mom was still alive...she was heartbroken...I was going to go after work and ask if we could have a brick from the building for my mom and even the rubble was already gone:sad1: when we went out there in 2004 it was so sad seeing all the buildings OUTBACK Steakhouse and Hotels sitting on that corner lot:sad1: I took pictures and will post when I get them scanned

Belisles001.jpg

this is from one of their menus... the one with the pencil tucked behind her ear is my mom:goodvibes

Belisles002.jpg

Thank You for the pictures, this is one I don't even have! You have all said wonderful things regarding our restaurant and I just wanted to say thank you. There were a lot of good memories there for everyone I guess. As a true Belisle I still get praise and recognition today from our restaurant and the huge portions. One good thing about memories, they never died nor get torn down. Are you all aware of the fact that there is actually a paperback book out all about Belisle's? With pictures too if you really get hungry!
Thank You again for all the kind words, may the pink restaurant live on!!

Thank You for the pictures, this is one I don't even have! You have all said wonderful things regarding our restaurant and I just wanted to say thank you. There were a lot of good memories there for everyone I guess. As a true Belisle I still get praise and recognition today from our restaurant and the huge portions. One good thing about memories, they never died nor get torn down. Are you all aware of the fact that there is actually a paperback book out all about Belisle's? With pictures too if you really get hungry!
Thank You again for all the kind words, may the pink restaurant live on!!

yes...if you are referring to the one Charlotte wrote? I have the copy I bought for my mom before she passed away... signed to my mom... may I ask which Belisle you are?

I remember Belisle's very well i use to work there in the middle 80's until they closed. I made many great friends who i still see on a regular basis. A friend emailed me this and i am glad he did.

We loved Belisle's! Huge portions, but more importantly the food was delicious.
We were very sad to see it replaced by a chain restaurant.

Woody

Is there any way to find recipes from the old belisles restraunt? I went ther for many years and was sad to see it closed on my last trip to cali.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter