have to make a decision fairly quickly about whether or not to go forward in Jan for surgery on this large macular hole in my eye that was discovered 4 wks ago. I'm not sure what to do as there are risks involved (retinal detachment, infection, etc). I was told that they can best case scenario get back 75% of my vision, but that's not in any way guaranteed. Problem is my vision prior to the hole sits at a -11.0 which is very high to begin with and post surgery it may go to -13.75 best. I'm told I will have to have cataract surgery in 2 years if I have the Macular surgery. Post op is not fun ...2 weeks face down, and 4-6 weeks post recovery (no driving or flying). The surgeon says its more of an insurance policy as I'm only just 46, and if something happens to my other eye ever, I would possibly still have site. Right now I can see with my right eye doing all the work, and my left eye is unable to read or see fine detail, but pherephrial vision is fine. I just don't know whether to risk possible retinal detachment in the eye. He would also have to do laser surgery ahead of time, as my tissue is very soft and would likely have a retinal detachment during surgery. I was hoping to find out if anyone knew someone that has gone thru this. It's a very tough choice to make............ Thanks!