Does Anyone Know a Foolproof Way to Peel Boiled Eggs?

tarheelmjfan

Proud Redhead
I got so frustrated today peeling eggs to make deviled eggs. I've never had such a hard time peeling them. :furious: That got me thinking that there must be a little known secret out there for easily & neatly peeling eggs. So, do you have a foolproof method you'd like to share with the frustrated in Florida? :p

Tips I've heard:

- Use eggs that are at least a week to 10 days old. Store them on their sides to keep the yolk in the center.
- After boiling, rinse in cold water, then let them sit in cold water until cool, then peel
- Put salt in the water before it boils

Yes, learned this from Rachael Ray.

After boiling the eggs, cool them off and then drain the water.
Put the cover back on the pot, and then roll the eggs around in the pot so that the shells break.
It works like a charm each time :thumbsup2 .

What works for me..

Cool eggs in cold water. After they are cooled crack the eggs and peel under running water.

I have a way! This always works for me. I learned "Perfect Hardboiled Eggs" from a chef when taking cooking classes, it's what he learned in culinary school.

Bring the water to a rolling boil and then gently drop the eggs in ( I use a ladle so I don't break them.) For cold, right out of the fridge eggs, boil for 14 minutes. For room temp eggs, boil for 13 minutes. Immediately put them in ice water to cool.

You'll get perfect eggs every time that peel easily. The yolks will be perfectly yellow, no green and no sulphur smell. That's a sign of over cooking.

Give it a try, eggs are cheap!

I knew you guys would have some good tips. :thumbsup2 I never time my eggs, so I'm most likely overcooking them. Not any more. :teeth: I've never added salt to the water, or put a lid on the pot while boiling either. I do put them in cold water (as cold as our tap water gets in FL anyway). I'll start using water from the fridge door to cool them in, & will wait until the water is boiling to place the eggs in the pot.

My mother, who is a dietician and has worked in kitchens all her life, taught me how to boil eggs perfectly.

The most important part is to use roughly two week old eggs. Then, bring them to a rapid boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 11 minutes. Nice yellow yolks with no green! Easy to peel as well. It works for me!

I roll them to crack them, and then peel them under running water....the shells always come right off.

:wave:

Beca

The way he explained the reason for starting with boiling water is because if you have a small pan with only a few eggs (starting with cold), it will come to a boil faster than a large pot with many eggs. So by the time you've waited for the large pot to come to a boil, the eggs have been cooking much longer than those in a small pot. So, if you want to make sure you cook eggs consistently, no matter how many or the size of the pot, you put them in boiling water. 212 degrees in a small pot, 212 in a large pot.

But the real key is putting them directly in ice water after they've cooked. No problem peeling them that way. New eggs, old eggs, it doesn't matter.

Have fun!

thanks for opneing this topic tarheelmjfan! :)

i encounter the same problem too...i learn a lot from you guys! :thumbsup2

I cool them in ice water immediately after cooking then I roll and tap it on the sink edge to loosen the shell which usually peels right off.

If the eggs (how ever you cook them) are hard to peel take a spoon and gently slip it between the egg and the shell, it should pry off fairly easily.

This is the exactly reason I hate making deviled eggs. I can never peel mine well. So, thanks for all the tips!

Tjaleks said:
What works for me..

Cool eggs in cold water. After they are cooled crack the eggs and peel under running water.

This is the way my mom taught me and I have never had any problems! :thumbsup2

I crack the egg and than put a spoon under the shell, cupping the egg and just push it around the egg. Shell comes right off.

I bring eggs to a boil for 1 minute, turn off heat, cover, let sit 15 minutes. Pour off water, cool off with cold water. Break both ends and peel under cold running water. Works for me about 95 percent of the time. HAPPY PEELING!!!

I made potato salad, so I finally got to try your suggestions. The shells practically fell off. :cool1: So much nicer than the last time I peeled eggs. Thanks again :)

My tried and true way I peel eggs is after they are done boiling, I dump almost all of the hot water out and put in ordinary tap water. Let set NO MORE than 15 minutes, tap all around and they just peel away in 1 or 2 big pieces. Everything is still kind of warm, so beware! LOL But this is the only way I can get them out.

:-D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter