Does anyone have prepaid cell phone plan you like?

lpandorf

DIS Veteran
I want to get rid of our cell phones. We just don't use them enough to justify the $600 per year for them. I just like mine for an emergency and very occassional call. Husband does not care about one and never uses it. There seem to be a lot of options and I'm trying to figure out what phone/plan is best for us. I would only use it maybe a few times a month for a few minutes at a time. Or if I got stuck on the road to call AAA.

Thanks!

I have Virgin Mobile and I use it just for emergencies. I find that $15 in minutes every three months is enough for me. On this plan they charge 18 cents per minute all the time (which isn't too bad), no other fees, and as long as you "top up" every 90 days your minutes roll overtothe next 3 months.

They also have some great phone deals on the Virgin Mobile website...some even include an amount of minutes that equals the cost of the phone, thus making the phone free.

And, it works well in WDW too!

i use what used to be simple freedom which is now alltel. the minutes are only .15 and you just have to purchase new minutes every 2 months . Which basically boils down to 133 minutes every 2 months as long as you keep buying cards every 2 months your old minutes roll over and the coverage area is excellent. I have used them for over 3 years

tmobile has a prepaid plan, if you buy 1000 minutes for $100, they last all year (you reach gold status), then before the 365 days are up, buy another $10 refill card & the minutes you have left roll into the next year, might be $100 up front but only $10 a year after that just to keep the phone active & rolling your minutes.

I have used "t-mobile to go" for over 2 years now and it is just perfect for me. Make sure you check the coverage for your area, but I would highly recommend t-mobile. For the occasional cell phone user, at $0.10 per minute - and less if you buy the cards when they are on sale at Target, you can't beat it!

Another vote for Virgin Mobile...I have had this service for about 3 years now and I have not been disappointed at all. It's exactly for me since I use my cell phone maybe twice a week at best...

Another thumbs up for Virgin Mobile. I've had my phone for several years and haven't had any problems with the service.

I also like Virgin mobile.
I had ATT/Cingular now New ATT before.
Why I liked Virgin Mobile was because I didn't want to put out the large amount needed by T mobile and tracfone to have it last, but didn't want to have to top off every 30-60 days to keep it active. Every 90 days works for me.
In addition to the minutes being free when you get it from the website, the shipping is free too. You can also return it within 30 days if you don't like it.
Coverage has been good for me.
I live in NJ. I have used it in Key West, FL with no problem. But it doesn't work outside of the US if that's an issue.

Another thumbs up for Virgin Mobile. Both the wife and I use it.

A really nice thing about Virgin Mobile is that they use Sprint's service which is virtually everywhere in the US.

T-Mobile for us. For as little as we use it, it's great.

Virgin Mobile for my family, too. Never any problems. Check their website for the different plans available and specials.

OK, I've been seriously considering doing this. We currently have a 550 minute family talk plan for two phones with Cingular. We pay around $63 per month (I get discount due to my employer that saves us about $10/month). We currently have over 4,500 rollover minutes and wind up with around 400-450 more added each month and another similar number expire each month because they are over 12 months old. I went through and averaged up our usage for the past 15 months and it comes out to around 340 minutes per month. Anyone that has one of these prepaid plans think a prepaid plan would save us any money?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter