Does anyone else think this is a little creepy?

Okay, so we have been getting our pictures taken on rides without our consent for a long time, but how do they identify each picture and send it to our email address? It our MB somehow scanned as the picture is being taken? My daughter just called me ten minutes ago to tell me that she also received pictures this morning from her trip the week before Thanksgiving. She was totally creeped out as I was when she told me. We are going in February and I was excited to try the MB, but not now. I will be requesting a card to carry. It is just too creepy.

The card will do the same thing, RFID chip.

Just to be clear. Based on the technical specs, long range means about ten feet.

It has to be more than 10 feet if they can quickly find you in the BOG restaurant.

Well, I do find it a bit creepy/intrusive that it comes to you without doing anything to prompt it. Besides getting the magic band. And if you do opt out of the magic band, it does put you at a disadvantage,a s *I* see things. At least with RIFD technology in cards, we have RIFD wallets that block it going out to others. Not really a way to do that with the bands.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I think people become creeped out because they are so surprised and start to understand how often this actually happens. Other than that, the whole thing is kind of cool!

My goodness. I just had an email about this which I sent to junk mail, but just went back and checked it and there were several ride photos of me.

I can't understand how they can link the MB I used, even though I didn't use it for all the attractions, to my image. I do find it very uncomfortable and have sent disney an email to that effect.

When I first got the email regarding pix from our Nov trip, I was a little creeped out but still kind of amazed at the technology. We went down last week with the adult kids so I decided to buy Memory Maker once we were there. Talked with the CM about how amazing the technology was, it found our pix when we didn't have PP, etc. She agreed. Unfortunately, she did not mention to scan band at the rides. Since they had found me when I didn't have PP/MM, I assumed they would find me since I bought in. NO ride photos at all and half our other photos are missing as well. (We did scan a band with the non-ride photos) I am frustrated but hopeful we will be able to eventually get the rest. They want such detailed info regarding time/location/who is in the pix. I need the 20 somethings to help me remember!

When I first got the email regarding pix from our Nov trip, I was a little creeped out but still kind of amazed at the technology. We went down last week with the adult kids so I decided to buy Memory Maker once we were there. Talked with the CM about how amazing the technology was, it found our pix when we didn't have PP, etc. She agreed. Unfortunately, she did not mention to scan band at the rides. Since they had found me when I didn't have PP/MM, I assumed they would find me since I bought in. NO ride photos at all and half our other photos are missing as well. (We did scan a band with the non-ride photos) I am frustrated but hopeful we will be able to eventually get the rest. They want such detailed info regarding time/location/who is in the pix. I need the 20 somethings to help me remember!

I always recommend having the photopass CM take a photo on your own camera when they take one on theirs. This doubles the odds one of the shots will be to your liking. And it also gives you something to upload to Disney to show them what they are looking for if they lose the Photopass ones. Additionally, it would enable you to find the time stamped on your own photo to tell them when it was taken. (I recommend adjusting your camera's time to local time when you arrive at Disney, but if you didn't you can figure how how far it was off and get the time it was actually taken).

Okay, so we have been getting our pictures taken on rides without our consent for a long time, but how do they identify each picture and send it to our email address? It our MB somehow scanned as the picture is being taken? My daughter just called me ten minutes ago to tell me that she also received pictures this morning from her trip the week before Thanksgiving. She was totally creeped out as I was when she told me. We are going in February and I was excited to try the MB, but not now. I will be requesting a card to carry. It is just too creepy.

My goodness. I just had an email about this which I sent to junk mail, but just went back and checked it and there were several ride photos of me.

I can't understand how they can link the MB I used, even though I didn't use it for all the attractions, to my image. I do find it very uncomfortable and have sent disney an email to that effect.

From the privacy policy:

It has to be more than 10 feet if they can quickly find you in the BOG restaurant.

Not if they use enough readers. The 10 feet is based on the amount of power it can put out.

All the band can do is say they are there, not where they are so having a greater range really doesn't help.

DebbieB said:
The card will do the same thing, RFID chip.

Actually, it does not have to be more then 10 feet. They just need readers at different points in the restaurant.

the readers are actually probably really short range in BOG, the only way to know which table to deliver the food to is if the reader is in the table, and only has 2 or 3 feet of range.

In many circumstances, your images have been sold to OTHER guests who happened to be riding in the same ride vehicle with you for years, too.

I was thinking that looking at my pictures, the people who have ToT pictures with me have to laugh every time they look at them because I look terrified every time, if someone can chuckle at that and it brings a smile to their face I'm ok with that.

I really don't care if Disney tracks me in the parks, my bank already tracks me, my job has surveillance everywhere that tracks me, my phone tracks me... it's par for the course these days.

Did anyone get a photo sent to their PP from ToT? I rode it twice and didn't get one and a friend said the same thing (different date).

Wow I just checked and there was a pic of us on test track! I so wish there were more, it was really cool to see!

Well, they aren't overly tracking. I can't get the mugshot of my DD as the rebel spy on Star Tours. I would love that with an overlay. She had on Minnie ears and was wearing a Mickey shirt. Everyone busted up laughing.

So I don't think it is at all creepy.

Is there anything that blocks the RFID signal?? Aluminum foil perhaps?? Just curious!! ;)

Yes if you completely cover the band in foil it will block the signal.

Aluminum foil will also block radio signals if you wear it as a hat. Researchers at MIT tested them.:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter