Does anybody here do THIS anymore?

Urugami

DISdad #690
OK, Dads... got a bit of a strange question for y'all.
We'll be going arriving in the World in 11 days, :banana: :joker: and of our recent trips, this is the least-planned. All we have is 1 ADR for Garden Grill on Monday, and then see DW's Godson im the MK parade on Tuesday. We also want to meet up one day with DW's uncle who lives near the Cape. The rest of the time, we'll be winging it. DW doesn't want to tie us down to too strict a schedule. (She's usually the more plan-minded between us, but not this time)
I know I'D like to do certain things, and I want DS to do certain things :car: , and DW just wants to enjoy herself without my parents around :yay: (who she invited to go with us last trip...:rolleyes2), but for the most part, we'll just be bits of flotsam in the great Brownian motion that is WDW. OK, not that bad, but compared to the last 4 trips, I'm feeling totally unprepared, and I'm almost feeling guilty about it. It's not like we've always had down-to-the minute, detailed plans, but at the very least, we'd have 3 or 4 ADRs made for a 5-day trip, and at least known where we want to eat and which parks we'd be in the rest of the time.

Has anybody here ever gone into a trip without doing any planning? How do you deal with it? I read all these PTRs on the DIS, for people planning their trips 6 months from now, and I feel guilty that I'm letting my family down, regardless of the fact that flexibility and freedom is what we want to do this time. Does that make any sense?
I know I'm probably over reacting to under-planning; I'll just have to shoot some Beverly and/or Guinness :drinking1 once I get to EPCOT ctr, and all will be well.
MMMMMMMmmmmmm Beverly......

Thanks, Dads

I usually only plan 1-2 ADRs per trip, have 2 kids 4,6. I just go to relax and see what strikes our mood. I don't want to be on a schedule. We've seen some interesting things just strolling around because we didn't have anywere to be. When we have, in the past, overscheduled; I felt like I got tunnel vision, too focused on where I had to be instead of enjoying where I was.

I have done it both ways, both have positives and negatives but the trip will be as enjoyable as you make it. You are at Disney, how bad can that be! :)
As for ADR's, you would be surprised what you can get for an ADR last minute if you are flexible. Slow down and enjoy all the little details, I have found that this way can make some of the best memories with family. After all, that's what it is all about.

We’ve also done it both ways, but have moved toward not having an iron clad plan on thr last several trips. With the exception of a couple of ADRs most of our park experiences have been geared directly to our mood and the flow of the day. We’ve been to WDW often enough to know what is a “must do” and what can be skipped. The other truth is that we’re most certainly coming back at some point in the near, so if we need to let go of one opportunity to take advantage of another, we’ll just make up for it another time. It makes for a very relaxed way of seeing The World.

We go with a basic plan on what park for a day and maybe 1 or 2 must do's, the rest is pretty much left up to the spontaneous feeling. We usually plan a couple of meals just to make sure we can get into our favorites, but that is it. We tend to make decisions as we go. Seems more fun that way.

Have fun with it.

Thanks, Guys.
The concept of 'planning' a day anywhere at WDW was completely foreign to me before we started taking DS, and even then, it was just ADRs. I didn't become familiar with a 'touring plan' until I joined the DIS a year or so ago.
That being said, I'd been there enough before that to know the must-do items, and the sit-and-relax things, and I'd always had fun just running hither and yon doing whatever, whenever. But it does change things when you're trying to make sure somebody ELSE has a good time, doesn't it? Especially when he's limited by height, which he's now past for the most part. (I think Space Mtn and Tower of Terror are the only rides he's too small for. Luckily, I think he's too afraid of them to want to ride, but that'll change soon enough.)
I guess 'Having a Plan' has been so ingrained into me lately, that it just felt too weird not having one. Thanks again for the reassurances.
Now, since we're only 9 days way from :drive:, I'll spend the next week :banana: and :hyper:, until my wife :duck:
:hourglass
:joker:Happy Mardi Gras Y'all!!!:joker: I'll have beads, so come see me!

Oh, and even though I can probably see the Superdome from my roof, I have no feelings for either team. Just gonna have fun watching the Family Fued go down.

If he is that young, he probably won't care what you do, he will just be happy spending time with his dad

Our last trip the only thing that was planned was what park we were going to. Once we got there we went with the flow. We saw more this trip then our last two.

I wouldn't worry about it. It shouldn't be too awful crowded anyway...if you're there surrounding President's weekend, it'll pick up a bit.

Even in busier times, we've often not done much more than figuring out which park(s), which day. You still have time to do a couple more ADR's if you like; you can always change your mind later (just remember to cancel if you don't use it, especially if its one that requires a credit card (like 'Ohana)).

Have fun!

Thanks again, Dads... I never thought the idea of going with the flow would be this nerve-wracking, but at this point, I'm just...
Meh... let's go already.
I wanted to do the Sorcerers thing our last trip, but didn't get near having a chance. This might be the perfect time. Might even try Agent P in EPCOT, get DS interested in that half of the park. Although I'm not sure how familiar he is with the character...
2 MORE SLEEPS!! Okay, who am I kidding, 1 and 1/2... :dance3:
Happy Mardi Gras! :jester:

we've done both, and have have great trips either way. when we don't make a bunch of ADRs we've tipically felt that we had more time to enjoy the parks. With the ADRs, there is more of a rushed feeling but, you do get to enjoy the hard to get dining expiriences.

either way will be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter