Do you Travel w/ Refillable Mugs?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by LeeAnn, Jul 7, 2012.

1. LeeAnn

LeeAnn DIS Veteran

In the past, I'm the only one to get a Refillable Mug. I would fill up w/ coffee at the resort CS and then head off to a park. We had a stroller so we had storage for the mug while at the park.

Now that everyone gets a mugs, I see everyone wanting to use it in morning too. That's 5 mugs to travel with.

Do you usually take your mugs to the park?
    Is worth the hassle?
    Does it spill?

I need my coffee in the morning but kids don't drink coffee or soda so this why I didn't them one in the past.

What kind of drinks are available for kids?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. willowsnn3

willowsnn3 Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

We fill ours with coke or hot chocolate in the am to take with us. We drive tho & are finished with our drinks by the time we get to the parks so we leave the mugs in the car.
    The kids usually get the hot chocolate in the morning. I know there is tea available also (hot or cold).

4. cluvsdisney

cluvsdisney DIS Veteran

We found them a nuisance to carry around which is one of the reasons we stopped getting them. I am pretty sure you can get iced tea with the cups.

5. Hoosier37

Hoosier37 DIS Veteran

We used the mugs in the mornings for breakfast, which we ate in the room. Usually two of us would take all four mugs down to fill. When returning from the parks, one or two of us would go to the room for the mugs and get them filled for everyone to have something to drink that evening.

I have to say, while it saved us from lugging four mugs into the parks, it wasn't pleasant in the evenings when our feet were tired, since we were in the 70s at Pop and had a decent walk. Next trip, we'll be in the LM rooms at AoA and that's an even longer walk, so we may have to adjust our mug procedure a bit :)

6. monorailmom

monorailmom DIS Veteran

We buy everyone a mug, and find it worth the effort.

Typically DH goes and fills both of our mugs while I'm showering. We enjoy our tea in the room while we have breakfast. We then refill them on our way to the bus, and when we get to whatever park we're going to, we run into a restroom to rinse them out and then stuff them with paper towels so they don't drip in our bags. We fill them up again when we return to the resort and are anxious for a cold drink!

Our kids don't use them in the morning, but do sometimes toss them into their string bags so they can grab cold drinks after the park, too. They really love using them at the pool when they can just keep refilling!

7. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

There are no refill stations in the parks, but I bring mine, because it usually has my morning coffee in it, then at the parks I use it to transfer any drinks into, esp the slushy kind, to keep bev cold, and easier to hold while walking around.
    Then when we get back to our resort I can head straight to food court for a refill.
    I hang my mug from my purse strap with a caribeiner.

8. artemis908

artemis908 EPCOTnaut

I've found it too bulky to carry around and really the space inside the actual cup is pretty limited. I have a feeling next time around I will probably not use it much except when I know I will be returning back to my room. I wish that in a resort like Boardwalk that you can't even fill up your cup at (they give it to you in a disposable cup) you could just have something on your card that says you have a refillable mug and then you could take the disposable cup into the parks or to your room and throw it out later.

I have a feeling though if we were to be there with kids it wouldn't be such a pain in the butt with a stroller.

9. wdw71

wdw71 DIS Veteran

We return ours to our room after breakfast which isn't fun but we take turns doing the run back to the room so it isn't as bad and it sure beats carrying it around all day. We always buy them because we drink lots of coffee, tea and sodas.
    On my wish list... Disney letting resort guests get refills in the parks:idea:

10. LeeAnn

LeeAnn DIS Veteran

Do you think if I put the mugs in a small soft cooler that wil spill?

Just thinking of reason to bring all 5 mugs w/ us.

Are the mugs the same a last year? Same size?

What colors are available?
    Are there 5 or 6 different colors?

If same as last year, I already have one that's lte blue. What's the colors?
    I want differnt colors for everyone so no one get the wrong one.

11. OllieDannyandMe

OllieDannyandMe DIS Veteran

Even with a stroller, I didn't lug them into the parks very often. I loved using them for our pool days and at night, though. If our room was close to the refill counter, I would sometimes get something to drink in the morning and bring it back to the room before leaving for the parks.

12. B-Ride

B-Ride Getting My Disney Fix

We have never taken our mugs to the park but we typically refill them at least 50 times a day at the resort.:rotfl2: That August Florida head make us really thirsty!

13. GaSleepingBeautyFan

GaSleepingBeautyFan DIS Veteran

I normally take it back to the room when I'm done before going to the parks.

I did put it in my park bag last trip a couple of times since it was just me and then I'd fill it up every time I returned to the resort on my way to the room except late at night when the refillable station was closed.
    It was in my way in my park bag but I found I used it more when I did that.

I saw people hanging them from their bags using carabiners but they seemed to lose their lids. Or at least I saw plenty without their lids so I assumed they fell off and got lost.

I'm not sure whats available for kids to drink. I thought it was the same stuff available to everyone - hot chocolate, tea hot or cold, and different sodas.

For colors I think I saw blue, pink, yellow and black on my last trip.

14. danetter

danetter DIS Veteran

We always take ours to the parks. We fill them up on the way to the bus in the mornings/and coming back from the parks, and then at the parks we will transfer our ice water or leftover drinks from lunch into our mugs since they won't allow the throw away cups on the rides. When we have something in them we loop them thru the strap of our bags on the outside and when they are empty we put them inside the bags and never have had a problem with them getting in the way.

15. My2Angels

My2Angels Mickey Moms Club member

I wish they had refillable mug stations in the parks though. How great would that be? We usually do not hang out at the resort very much. We are in the parks most of the day. We typically only use our at breakfast.

We did get our money's worth when we stayed at the BC and spent a day by the pool.

16. *Fantasia*

*Fantasia* <font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c

The mugs traveled with us a couple of times to the park. I didn't thought about rinsing it at the bathroom in the park, so it got sticky in the backpack. It was also bulky in the backpack.

What I'm going to do this time is after we eat at the food court, I will rinse the mugs at the bathroom lobby and then just take it with us to the park, this way, on our way back to the resort, we will have the mugs already, instead of running back to the room just to get another refill. Going back and forth to the room can get old and tiring, especially after a long day at the park.

17. MeMom

MeMom DIS Veteran

We take different colored lids from cups like those so that we can keep ours separate. Three people get the normal pink, blue, and black handles and lids, which is all I saw at any resort on this trip, and others put white, yellow, red, etc. lids on their cups. It is very easy to see what cup belongs to who just by lid colors. Pop Century and some other resorts did have yellow cups a while back, but I didn't see any this time. Anyone who has stayed at All Star Sports and got one of the green or purple cups could bring their lids, as well. Just a thought that might help your larger than three group.

18. KELLY

KELLY DIS Veteran

We just bring ours back to the room before we leave not a big deal since we don't eat breakfast anyway. My girls get something but I'm not a huge breakfast food person.

19. DreamingofCastles

DreamingofCastles Earning My Ears

We will be getting refillable mugs for the first time this September. I have been wondering whether to carry them to the parks also! Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions! I really like the carabiner idea!

20. disney777

disney777 DIS Veteran

I like to have my mug with me. I like having it to put leftover drinks in it at the parks to keep them colder longer, and they don't get "sweaty". I either put them in my big purse, or hang them by caribener on a smaller bag. Never lost a lid, they are pretty tight. I like being able to get a drink when I get off the bus, so don't want to bother going back to the room to retrieve mug. I only have to worry about myself. I might think differently if I had to carry 4 mugs.

21. Mom2six

Mom2six DIS Veteran

There will be 9 of us on our trip and I know there won't be 9 colors! My kids love stickers and I have found that some of them are really sticky (much to my dismay on occassion!). I think I will get a few pack of stickers with Disney characters and stick a different one in the center of each lid so everyone can be keep their drinks separate. I'm sure it will be fine while at AoA and handwashing them, but I'm not so sure when we go to the THV and stick them in the dishwasher. But I'm willing to give it a try.

We're actually getting the dining plan twice. We have free dining for the second part of the trip, but bought quick serive for the first four days at AoA. I think we'll use the mugs there alot more then when we are at the treehouses at SSR...the treehouses are kind of far from the main building, I've heard.

Will they still have the same mugs in the fall that they do now? It seems like from pictures that they have less color choices right now then people say there were last year.