Do you think this is weird or too cheap?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by lady9, Jul 9, 2013.

1. MSSANDRA

MSSANDRA DIS Veteran

I would for sure take stuff for snacks and lunch at the ball park. Be sure that you have a really good cooler and fill gallon size zip lock bags with ice to keep things safe. The ball parks can get very hot. I would take two coolers, one for food and other full of bottle water and drinks. You can do lean meats, low fat cheeses, yogurts, fruit, veggies, etc. Lots of snacks for the rooms too. I however would not try to take meals for dinner. The team boys are going to want to hang together and you want your son to be included. Many times the families decide to order pizza by the pool and let the kids swim. I would look more towards ordering low fat/low cost wherever the team eats. Share, order salad, water, etc. Fill in with snacks back in the room if you need too. Your son will thank-you for helping him stay included.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jam217

jam217 jam217

I don't think that it's weird at all. I would definitely take the food along.

4. the5marions

the5marions Earning My Ears

Some hotels have outdoor grill areas - check their website or give them a call. If they do have, then you could go to a local grocery store and pick up hamburgers, chicken or whatever you want then cook and cook it at the hotel. Other parents might even join you in doing this.

5. kathie859

kathie859 DIS Veteran

I don't think your food plan is odd at all!!! I can't imagine why the friend felt to comment that it was somehow strange. :confused3 Good for you in figuring out what works for you and your family--sounds like a good time and not a huge hit to the family budget.

DD (now mother to my 3 DGKs) was on a competitive volleyball team in high school and we often packed lunches and snacks when we traveled out of town for games. Occasionally, we have a team pizza night before the games, but it was done with coupons and wasn't expensive.

Good luck to your son!

6. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

When we have to travel for sports tourneys, we do "microwave gourmet"... IOW, the sort of heat-and-eat crap that I won't buy for at home. Hot Pockets, pizza rolls, etc. for the kids and pre-made salads or something along those lines for myself. Microwave baked potatoes with some simple toppings (cheese, bacon bits, etc) are another thing that my son especially likes the night before game day if we're in a hotel. Usually by the end of the day the kids aren't interested in going out for a sit-down meal and I don't care for about 95% of fast food so microwaving dinner works well enough.

The places we stay usually have a microwave and fridge in the room and a complimentary continental breakfast. And we bring (or hit a grocery store for) bread, lunch meat, PB&J, fruit, veggies & dip, and other healthy snacks to tote along to the field. For a Thurs-Sun tourney we usually eat 1 or 2 meals out and do the rest ourselves.

7. Narnia_girl

Narnia_girl DIS Veteran

I say Go For It! :thumbsup2
    I've actually done the exact same thing on a cross-country trip and it worked wonderfully.

One of my favorite memories is a picnic inside our van at the top of Trail Ridge Road in Colorado. It was July and about 40 degrees outside. Other people were buying small cups of chili from the food service ($5 each) and we were chowing down on hot soup from a Thermos. :cloud9:

8. njmom47

njmom47 <font color=blue>He's such a fiend!<br><font color

We too have traveled a lot for baseball tournaments!
    We have brought our own food and drinks but usually did dinner out, for the companionship mostly. (Yes, I'm thrifty....:thumbsup2)
    I say go for it!

9. pigletto

pigletto DIS Veteran

I don't think it's weird. I think it's smart. Ds was on a travel basketball team this year. Between the gas, hotel for two nights and food for 6 or more restaurant meals plus tournament fees these were easily $500 weekends each time. And it makes me sick to think how gross and fattening all that eating out was. There were 3 of them this winter. So $1500 for 3 weekends. These kids are 8 years old. It's not like it was a high school team.
    I'll tell you this much. We'll play travel next year but we'll eat breakfast and snacks in our room and maybe get Subway for lunch. $1500 for 3 weekends to sit on a bleacher! That's a 3rd of the way to my Disney trips! I can take my family to Disney with flights from Canada and cover a 10 day trip completely for 4500!!!:rolleyes:

I'm with you OP. Just because I can spend it doesn't make it smart to spend it that way. And frankly anyone who looks at me funny for skipping some of the restaurant meals will likely be the same people wondering how we afford to go to Disney as often as we do:rolleyes:

10. horseshowmom

horseshowmom DIS Veteran

I agree completely. Horse shows add up to a LOT of money. I generally got a suite (sometimes a full kitchen, sometimes just fridge/micro) with a very good code and with breakfast. At the very least, I brought our drinks with us.

We did enjoy going out with friends (and did that too) but were often worn out and ready to get back to the room for a bath anyway.

There's nothing wrong with finding ways to save money. In fact, it's wise - just not very common in today's society. :thumbsup2

11. CluelessDisFan

CluelessDisFan DIS Veteran

Not ridiculous at all. Hell, if you're really trying to save money, go camping! That's what I'd do! Bring all your own food if you want. I think your "friend" is the ridiculous one, or maybe she's just lazy.

12. momof3ds

momof3ds Mouseketeer

Your friend is not being very friendly at all.

I wouldn't do anything that required major cooking without access to a sink but other stuff works just fine.

If my "friend" said that to me, I'd ask her for money for restaraunt food.

13. lovewdwdvc

lovewdwdvc DIS Veteran

When one of our kiddos started traveling with the soccer team several families including us brought enough pasta, bread and salad for all. We had it the first night. Everyone loved the idea. We ate and had a few brewskis with the parents, the kiddos spent some time in the pool and game room. All in all it was fun. After that, we started doing it with many of the traveling teams that the kids played on. The coaches really liked it . It made for great team spirit and also made it easier to stay on a budget. Good luck. Regardless, bring what you want to the games. Others may appreciate your eating habits.

14. BenbowInn

BenbowInn Mouseketeer

Not weird at all. Smart, healthier than eating out and budget friendly. I try to avoid eating out whenever possible as well.

15. Southernmiss

Southernmiss <font color=green>I am hazed everyday<br><font col

I would totally bring food and did so on a soccer weekend last month. Dh referees soccer so that the kids can play. We just about break even.

16. familyoffive

familyoffive DIS Veteran

Sorry too cheap! You can't afford the team if you need to cut costs on food, hotel, or travel.

17. Kristibo42

Kristibo42 DIS Veteran

My daughter played travel softball for 10 years. We traveled every weekends from late May to September. We always brought food and made sure the hotel offered breakfast. So no I don't thinks it being cheap.

18. Shelly F - Ohio

Shelly F - Ohio Disney Extraordinaire

If it were me I would see if there is a Panera in the area and eat there. They list the calorie content on the menu - or at least they do here in the Cleveland area. This way you can eat a bit healthier without having to pack food with you.

19. lovewdwdvc

lovewdwdvc DIS Veteran

I really did not want to believe it but it appears that for a solid group of parents traveling teams are the means to exclude-and not by talent. It is a sad day for sports in America.

20. Burnedout

Burnedout Proud mom of a marine recruit:)

? What does that have to do with the question?

21. lovewdwdvc

lovewdwdvc DIS Veteran

It has to do with family of five's response. "Sorry too cheap! You can't afford the team if you need to cut costs on food, hotel, or travel."