do you think it is risky?

Discussion in 'Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board' started by tetley02, Jul 30, 2009.

1. tetley02

tetley02 Mouseketeer

Do you think it is risky to skip an overnight hotel stay for eurostar and take a train from newcastle to london which is over a 3 hour journey woul mean getting on train at half 4 in the morning, train would get me to london for 08.13.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Mum to Belle

Mum to Belle <font color=royalblue>Thinks she may know someone

I've been having a similar conversation with DH about this - although not from Newcastle, so only a 6am train for us. :goodvibes

Have you looked at train prices? It was cheaper for us to get the train the day before £10 single and stay in a hotel than to travel at peak time the day of the Eurostar journey. Would also mean a much more relaxed start to the holiday and more sleep!! Always a good thing :goodvibes

4. tetley02

tetley02 Mouseketeer

Yes I have checked all avenues, the hotel prices are over £60 that is for 1 adult and 1 child, the train tickets are only £14 for both of us,

5. PJackson

PJackson DIS Veteran

That is my biggest gripe about Eurostar from Newcastle it's just not really possible for us in one day - needs to be stop over etc which with two little ones (one of whom takes a few nights to get used to her 'surroundings' before sleeping!), it just doesn't work out so we always end up flying and it's expensive esp if you book fairly last min like we tend to!!! :lmao:

Anyway, digressing slightly, tbh I wouldn't risk it - when are you thinking of going Tetley? The amount of times something happens to the trains these days ending up in them being cancelled or delayed - all you need is some 'flash flooding' which is happening more and more, and they pull a train off! :scared1:

ETA - just noticed you are going for Halloween - I personally wouldn't risk it, trains can be so unreliable, but that's just me :)

6. Mum to Belle

Mum to Belle <font color=royalblue>Thinks she may know someone

Wow! That's loads cheaper! Would your train arrive at St Pancras or would you have to transfer? I think Eurostar recommend 45 minutes for check-in, but I've not been for ages so I wouldn't know personally. Sorry!

7. thelittlemermaid83

thelittlemermaid83 <font color=green>My reign will be a super-awesome

I know at Ashford you need to check in 30mins before departure.

8. DLPdaft

DLPdaft <font color=royalblue>Cannot stop singing "Just li Moderator

I don't use trains very often I admit, but I did consider getting a 5.30am train from Nottingham direct to St Pancras when I was pricing up the Eurostar versus flying. I would have done it too, but I just couldn't get any cheap prices for the train down to St Pancras, or back again.

I think I had a good hour and a half to play with at St Pancras on the outward journey though, and I think they do recommend checking in 45 minutes before the Eurostar departure time there.

9. dlpSteve

dlpSteve <font color=teal>If home is where the <font color=

We only live a 90 minute drive from Ashford but we always book into the Holiday Inn Experss the night before - you just never know what's going to happen!

10. mum'o'3

mum'o'3 Earning My Ears

I don't know if St. Pancreas is the same, but last time we went from Ashford there was a half hour queue at check in. Although it was a while ago.

11. Jonjo

Jonjo Mouseketeer

Do you have through Eurostar tickets from Newcastle to DLRP? Then if your train from Newcastle is delayed Eurostar will put you on the next service to Paris and arrange the Paris to DLRP conections for you.

We live only 70 mins from London by train, but always choose to stay overnight in London to be sure we are in time to get the Eurostar. You never know anything could happen. This week there have been two strikes on National Express East Anglia so no trains have been runing into London.

12. Ljay

Ljay Mouseketeer

Ive done Eurostar a few times, im sure they do say at least 45 mins before, i went in march and that was the info then.

It usually only takes me 50mins on a train to STP, in march and last Oct we took the earlier train around 6.30am to get us there in plenty of time.
    i think if i was travelling further away like you are, i would prob want to spend the night over in London......i would be worried to much that the train would be late etc. you just never know these days.

when we go in Dec we are going to stay over the night before this time, first time going with a child. so want everything to run smoothly without me panicking:)

13. MichelinMan

MichelinMan I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

Newcastle trains get into Kings Cross on the East Coast line, so it only takes 5 minutes to get next door to St Pancras. Give yourself 30 mins minimum to get through check-in, and 30 minutes contingency for the train in, so you should be OK I reckon.

Personally, I would pay just a bit extra to get a hotel so you can wake up nice and fresh ready for the parks, especially if you are intending to stay late in the parks your first day (we didn't plan to, but did anyway!).

I also think the check-in times could be better for Disney - I reckon they think they are giving people more time in Disney, but it creates problems getting to and from St Pancras. It was impossible for me both going and coming back to travel on the day from Hull for example, due to lack of trains.

14. scald

scald <font color=royalblue>I am a big girls blouse when

If you book the whole journey as a through ticket with Eurostar, they will accomodate you on next train if you are delayed. However, if u decide to stay overnight, check out the Premier Inn at Kings Cross. We stayed there two weeks ago the night before and after our Eurostar trip. Very competitive and comfortable.:thumbsup2

15. Ware Bears

Ware Bears Bring me that horizon Moderator

Our train journey to London only takes 90 minutes but we always preferred to travel up beforehand and stay in London. As well as giving us peace of mind we also enjoy spending time in London. :)

16. ukstitch

ukstitch <font color=deeppink>I'm not sure I'm quite your a

I wasn't aware of the bonuses of booking the through tickets with Eurostar (i.e. that they'll put you on the next train etc if you miss your train)...

Personally, if you've got your tickets arranged with Eurostar then I'd go for it as you've got nothing to lose apart from some time.

However - if you've just got a standard train and standard Eurostar ticket then I don't think I'd chance it unless you are at least 1 train early. Trains are reliably unreliable - they break down, they get delayed, they get cancelled etc... One cancelled train and you could easily be needing to work out a new way to Disney and then also trying to worry about claiming whatever you can back from travel insurance.

17. tetley02

tetley02 Mouseketeer

I dont think I can book through tickets from newcastle with eurostar.

18. scald

scald <font color=royalblue>I am a big girls blouse when

The eurostar site looks like offering the 6am Newcastle service. I don't know how the cost stacks up beside buying Eurostar tickets separately and arranging your own train ticket. Worth a look though, it might be competitive balanced against a night in a hotel:thumbsup2

19. tetley02

tetley02 Mouseketeer

I cant find where the site offers that

20. tetley02

tetley02 Mouseketeer

I can only get through fares into paris, not disney

21. gemmybear83

gemmybear83 <font color=royalblue>I would blame it all on Bob<

Hi I'm from Newcastle and used the Eurostar last year - personally I would stay over the night before - look out good Travelodge deals - people have got £9 rooms for Kings Cross/St Pancras travelodges.

I would find travelling down that morning too stressful, staying across the road (we stayed at the Premier Inn) and just wandering across was lovely plus we had a day in London the day before we got to DLRP.

If you can't get through tickets to DLRP you could get a through ticket to Paris and get the RER train to DLRP?