Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree at all. It's not surprising that some of the costs (ticket prices, food) go up every year, given inflation and the economy. I think they do a pretty darn good job, given all that they offer. Where else in the world can you go to experience such a huge number of activities in once place?

To me, it's similar to the airline fare dilemma --- we all want extremely inexpensive airline tickets, but when they cut prices that much, other things end up suffering (like having to have people pay to check a bag). You can't have it both ways!

And some of the other things that you list (like behavior of the Brazillian groups) -- what do you think WDW is supposed to do about it? Not let them in to the parks? No one likes rude people, but they're part of life. I would address individual incidents (like noise in hotels in the middle of the night) with WDW staff and try to tolerate the rest.

I love WDW! Not to be a cliche, but I do think it's one of the most magical, happy places I've ever been. A friend and I were talking about how clean it is; she went to Universal, and was disappointed with the "non-Disney" feel of the place (grubby restrooms, overflowing trash cans). Plus it's more expensive than WDW.

I would say that some of the CM's don't seem as warm and inviting. Still friendly but not like they used to be.

Also it seems like the parks aren't as clean as they used to be. I am a people watcher and I was always amazed how a place with so many people could be so clean. It used to be if something was thrown on the ground someone out of nowhere would appear and pick it up.

CS restaurants aren't as clean as they used to be also.

House cleaning has declined as well.

I think we were writing about the same time. See my post below yours!

I think we were writing about the same time. See my post below yours!

I'm not here to agree or disagree, but when you look at Disney as a whole they have done a lot in the past few years. For those who travel by air, you have the option of using Magical Express for each visit. I don't know about anyone else, but that has saved me some money over the years. RAC at the resorts, again for those who travel by air is a nice convenience. Year of a million dreams was a great promotion that touched many, myself included! Who doesn't like to get something for free! The GAD promotion this year was a huge success! Yes, we can focus on the quality of food for what we pay or guests that may make our visits not so enjoyable, but I believe that Disney strives to do their best for the hundreds of thousands that visit each day and yes there will be some flaws in execution. I'll see you there for F&W on 10/15! :woohoo:

I agree with the OP on this one. Disney trys to squeeze you for every last cent.Yeah they need to make money,but don't gouge.Disney world is a very profitable business!What drives the most crazy is to hear people on here defend alot of these ridiculous price increases.I often wonder if these same people defended the oil companies when gas was over $4.00 a gallon and BP and others had record profits? Hey after all they need to make a profit too!:rotfl2:I personally think disney needs a little more in the way of business ethics and integrity.I don't hold alot of hope for it though,seeing the new housing development going up for the mega wealthy right on disney property.:eek: I think disney has slipped alot recently and hope someone in upper management soon rights the ship!!:sad2:

I've been planning trips for my own family since 2004, and visiting WDW since 1996. This comes up EVERY single time I'm planning a trip via the Disboards! People say the exact same things. This thread could match word for word with one that I read in 2004! (I used a different user name back then)

That said, I think that people who are repeat visitors have a special challenge in that they come to know the place so well, it does lose some of its shine. Personally, our family would NEVER notice the lack of prime rib at a restaurant. Someone who goes frequently is likely to notice changes more easily.

The thing to remember is that change isn't always bad. We are creatures of habit and if our first trip(s) are very magical, we want to replicate them. Trust me, we were so tempted to plan our second trip exactly the way we planned our first. Fortunately, we decided against it. It made for an even more magical trip the second time around, because the element of discovery was still there.

So a few tips for those who worry about this issue...Don't try to repeat your last trip! Have a few special traditions, but don't stay in the same place, eat at the same restaurants, etc.

This next trip, we are staying at AKV. We've stayed at VWL and FW. Last time we camped in tents at FW for 11 nights in December! A far cry from our comfy VWL stay. But it was wonderful and special and different and that made it great. We're excited about staying at a new place this time, trying out rides we have never tried, and eating at restaurants we haven't visited yet. While the quality of our trip remains to be seen, we have taken steps to be sure we won't suffer from Disney burn out.

Also, I have to say, Dining plan, dining, plan, dining plan. If I had to pay the bill for each individual meal, I would probably complain about food quality too. Chef Mickey's was not a great meal, but we had a blast. If I had actually paid three figures for that meal, I would have walked out angry. ;) We use the dining plan and pretend we're on an all-inclusive vacation. Cali Grill costs the same as Chef Mickey's. It's a good way to take your mind off of what you're spending.

So maybe some things are in decline. I love the holiday lights at Epcot, but they may be replaced by something else this year. They were old. Perhaps they were at a point where they either needed to be repaired or retired. (I've read that the technology for the lights was old and plans are to replace/update.) Looking forward to seeing what there is this year.

As long as I can still imagine I'm flying in a pirate ship over London, or dodging a cannon in the Carribbean, or zipping through outerspace, or pretending I'm in Mexico in 1970...I'll have a magical time.

As for prices going up, think about it this way. The last time I went to WDW in Dec. 2007, bananas were .33 a lb. Now they are .50 or more per lb. I still eat bananas, and until they get to be $2 a lb, I'll likely still eat bananas. It's inflation, and it is a miserable fact of our economy. But the cost of a stroller does not, in my view, indicate a decline in quality.

Pixie dust to all!

VP

I've been planning trips for my own family since 2004, and visiting WDW since 1996. This comes up EVERY single time I'm planning a trip via the Disboards! People say the exact same things. This thread could match word for word with one that I read in 2004! (I used a different user name back then)

The thing to remember is that change isn't always bad. We are creatures of habit and if our first trip(s) are very magical, we want to replicate them. Trust me, we were so tempted to plan our second trip exactly the way we planned our first. Fortunately, we decided against it. It made for an even more magical trip the second time around, because the element of discovery was still there.

So a few tips for those who worry about this issue...Don't try to repeat your last trip! Have a few special traditions, but don't stay in the same place, eat at the same restaurants, etc.

Also, I have to say, Dining plan, dining, plan, dining plan. If I had to pay the bill for each individual meal, I would probably complain about food quality too. Chef Mickey's was not a great meal, but we had a blast. If I had actually paid three figures for that meal, I would have walked out angry. ;) We use the dining plan and pretend we're on an all-inclusive vacation. Cali Grill costs the same as Chef Mickey's. It's a good way to take your mind off of what you're spending.

So maybe some things are in decline. I love the holiday lights at Epcot, but they may be replaced by something else this year. They were old. Perhaps they were at a point where they either needed to be repaired or retired. (I've read that the technology for the lights was old and plans are to replace/update.) Looking forward to seeing what there is this year.

As for prices going up, think about it this way. The last time I went to WDW in Dec. 2007, bananas were .33 a lb. Now they are .50 or more per lb. I still eat bananas, and until they get to be $2 a lb, I'll likely still eat bananas. It's inflation, and it is a miserable fact of our economy. But the cost of a stroller does not, in my view, indicate a decline in quality.

Pixie dust to all!

VP

So your saying as long as the food is cheap it's ok that it's crummy? Sorry, that's the one argument I hear alot that I'm not buying. bad food is bad food and even when I did the ddp I expect hot halfway decent food.

You're absolutely right in that us "old" timers are most likely to notice. that's natural. I don't compare Disney to other parks mainly because Disney set the standard of quality entertainment. I compare them to the standard they themselves set.

So I voice my displeasure with my dollars, I no longer buy the souveniers when before I always picked up stuff for the kids in my family. We rarely eat at a ts restaurant preferring to either eat of site or in our villa. If I'm going to get Ihop quality food, I'll simply head out to the Ihop outside of DTD and pay alot less.

Also, gas has gone up from around $1.78 a gallon to $2.78 or so per gallon since 2005. Disney provides free transportation from the airport and around the resorts. I'm sure gas increases have had a tremendous impact. I would MUCH rather pay more for a stroller or have prime rib removed from the menu or have ticket prices go up a bit than have them eliminate Magical Express, which actually STARTED in 2005.

Consider that. Disney now offers free transportation to and from the airport. Wouldn't you consider that an INCREASE in quality?

One of the things that just cracked me up in 2007 was someone complaining that a certain restaurant no longer had Mickey shaped butter pats. Now, those special touches are lovely, but really? Butter pats? Again, someone at that time pointed out that while butter pats were gone, Disney added Magical Express. :) Yes, ME is a business strategy designed to get you to stay onsite and never leave. I know that. But it is an excellent service, so I feel Disney and I have a mutually beneficial relationship. :)

VP

So your saying as long as the food is cheap it's ok that it's crummy? Sorry, that's the one argument I hear alot that I'm not buying. bad food is bad food and even when I did the ddp I expect hot halfway decent food.

Okay, I understand that argument. Actually, the food wasn't crummy, it just wasn't spectacular. It was breakfast. And if I were to pay three figures for breakfast ANYWHERE, good or not, I'd walk out grumpy. :)

VP

I agree with above posting saying that guests who visit many times in the year may noticed changes with service then guests who have years between their visits. We usually visit every other June since our DS was 4. He is now 10. We do not notice any decline in any services besides a few CMs not having a good day. We were there in June 2009 & we are visiting this Nov. We want to experience cooler temps & MVMCP for the first time. I am sure there are guests who will notice changes in MVMCP but we won't. We may not return until 2013 so I am sure there will be new things for us in 3-4 years:banana:

That said, I think that people who are repeat visitors have a special challenge in that they come to know the place so well, it does lose some of its shine. Personally, our family would NEVER notice the lack of prime rib at a restaurant. Someone who goes frequently is likely to notice changes more easily.

This next trip, we are staying at AKV. We've stayed at VWL and FW. Last time we camped in tents at FW for 11 nights in December! A far cry from our comfy VWL stay. But it was wonderful and special and different and that made it great. We're excited about staying at a new place this time, trying out rides we have never tried, and eating at restaurants we haven't visited yet. While the quality of our trip remains to be seen, we have taken steps to be sure we won't suffer from Disney burn out.

As long as I can still imagine I'm flying in a pirate ship over London, or dodging a cannon in the Carribbean, or zipping through outerspace, or pretending I'm in Mexico in 1970...I'll have a magical time.

Pixie dust to all!

VP

Excellent post! :thumbsup2

I've noticed a decline too but it's been over more time than a few years. We still enjoy it of course but to us it's just not the same as it once was. I find that to be true of just about everything though.

One thing - you can't really blame Disney for the rude tour groups. People are in general getting more self-centered all the time with some groups being worse than other.

I have noticed a decline in the overall "magic". The CM's aren't as friendly or helpful ( which is pretty much true everywhere nowdays) and the park isn't as clean as it used to be. Also many of the refurbs and repairs which used to take place after park hours are now being done in broad daylight taking away the magic and mystery. Never did there used to be so many walls and tarps as there are now. I understand the economy is taking it's toll everywhere and I expect it costs much more to run the park but WDW is more than a theme park its supposed to be the most magical place on earth.

I meant to comment about cleanliness. We've noticed that WDW is not as pristine as it once was too. We see overflowing trash cans, messy bathrooms, areas that need paint and so on. This would have been unheard of at one time. I think that as Disney cut costs it also cut staffing and this led to dirtier resort areas. It's not enough to have us fleeing in disgust but it is different.

Pixie dust to all!

VP

Right on!! Totally with you! I've been on these boards, and planning my adult Disney trips since 2005 (posted under another name). I've seen the same type of posts for 5 years. All I can tell you is, we've had 5 years of Magical trips. We've done the DDP in some incarnation each time, starting with the original *great* plan that included apps and gratuity, and we have adapted to the new plans, and even tried the DxDDP on our last trip. We like the Dining Plans and will continue to use them. We have pretty high food quality standards, and we have really had very little to complain about food-wise in our trips. Maybe it's the restaurants we pick (have yet to do a Disney Buffet), or maybe it's the menu items we order, or maybe we're just plain lucky. We haven't seen anything close to what I would call Downhill. That's just us though. :goodvibes:goodvibes

When, it comes down to things like holiday surcharges, stroller rental increase, meal prices high for lower quality still comes down to the fact that the majority pay for them and deal with it (whether they like it or not) and the minority are the ones that complain about it to Disney and/or refuse the service because of the price.

Why would the stroller rental company decrease there price if they are still making so much profit and so on. They know people will rent them at almost any cost.

Millions of people go to Disney everyyear and a big chunk of them are not the repeat visitors that go every year or less and most of them really don't pay attention to details. They are there to have fun.

I just wanted to add that when we went this past June, DH and I really looked out for grumpy CMs, etc. since I had read soooo many posts about a decline in CMs. We found GREAT CM after GREAT CM. Don't get me wrong, we came across a not-so-terrific server, or a grouchy bus driver, but the CMs in the parks and around the resorts really were great and helpful and made our vacation great! We also go into everything with a positive, friendly, and easygoing attitude. We find it helps greatly. :goodvibes:goodvibes

I have noticed a decline in the overall "magic". The CM's aren't as friendly or helpful ( which is pretty much true everywhere nowdays) and the park isn't as clean as it used to be. Also many of the refurbs and repairs which used to take place after park hours are now being done in broad daylight taking away the magic and mystery. Never did there used to be so many walls and tarps as there are now. I understand the economy is taking it's toll everywhere and I expect it costs much more to run the park but WDW is more than a theme park its supposed to be the most magical place on earth.

There is a subtle decline in quality, but downhill isn't the word, I think surviving is. I noticed the decline after 2001. This area was hit very hard by a knock in tourism, brought about by obvious events, hurricanes, etc... Frankly, the time frame between 2001 and this year, vacations were the last thing on many people's minds.

I applaud Disney for avoiding layoffs whenever possible, which is why park hours were cut at one point, to reduce employee hours. This is where I think they are hurt the most as there have been times that I thought the park was understaffed. Also, people are struggling and it is hard to put on a happy face all the time. I still remember that what they accomplish is amazing, no matter how short staffed they might be.

Disney is left with an employment pool of who they can get, and those people are faced with taking on more work for the same pay. Not everyone wants to work for Disney and it is easy for many cast members to be demotivated. I am sympathetic to them and they do a great job 95% of the time as far as I'm concerned, but every so often you see one that is trying really hard to put on that happy face.

I'm not a fan of some of the policies that Disney has put in place and the CM's are forced to work within those policies. Usually it makes me think "If I were here struggling with kids, I'd be ticked off". I only hope that they are taking customer and cast member feedback seriously to tweak those policies for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!