Do You think DISNEY has gone down hlll the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the world last week and there was a couple of things that made me think about this post. For one, the monorail closed down before the parks sometimes. This was really bothersome since we're at the BLT and mostly chose that resort for the convenience of the monorails. I thought it might be to save money, which I thought was lame. Another was that I thought the CS food was much better than previous years.

So you see, there are ups and downs. It's all about how you look at it.

I was in the world last week and there was a couple of things that made me think about this post. For one, the monorail closed down before the parks sometimes. This was really bothersome since we're at the BLT and mostly chose that resort for the convenience of the monorails. I thought it might be to save money, which I thought was lame. Another was that I thought the CS food was much better than previous years.

So you see, there are ups and downs. It's all about how you look at it.

Hi Albytaps!

I thought that they reverted back to having the monorail service full time during park hours? What counter service restaurant did you go to? Some CS are better than others in my opinion.

Brunette

brunettte.
I can't speak for oct or nov. in sept, we were at BLT.. our FIRST ever stay at a monorail resort!!

ps (I know some people insist on calling them MK resorts, and that the monorail is not guaranteed, but we all know they are monorail resorts. and you pay a premium for that. for example, Wilderness Lodge, Shades of Green, and For tWildreness are MK resorts, but are NOT monorail resorts.

anyway we stayed at BLT in sept. the first hard ticketed event since the new monorail policy.. and no one knew anything. we asked at the front desk of Cr, one Cm knew nothing about shortened monorail hours, the other said it wouldn't be a problem.. they DID run later for night of Joy, but you never knew from day to day when. they were shortened earlier during night of joy to add more trains, but we were'nt made aware.

every day we would call fromt desk and ask, and no one knew anything

brunettte.
I can't speak for oct or nov. in sept, we were at BLT.. our FIRST ever stay at a monorail resort!!

ps (I know some people insist on calling them MK resorts, and that the monorail is not guaranteed, but we all know they are monorail resorts. and you pay a premium for that. for example, Wilderness Lodge, Shades of Green, and For tWildreness are MK resorts, but are NOT monorail resorts.

anyway we stayed at BLT in sept. the first hard ticketed event since the new monorail policy.. and no one knew anything. we asked at the front desk of Cr, one Cm knew nothing about shortened monorail hours, the other said it wouldn't be a problem.. they DID run later for night of Joy, but you never knew from day to day when. they were shortened earlier during night of joy to add more trains, but we were'nt made aware.

every day we would call fromt desk and ask, and no one knew anything

Hey Smidgey! Sorry, been busy at work and haven't had a chance to reply. You would think that as much as you pay for the premium monorail resorts, that A. the CM would at least know the hours of operations or B. That the monorail really should be operating within the park hours INCLUDING the EMHs. I still think it's a way to make cuts.

Brunette

Very interesting reading brunette.I enjoyed both articles.I personally think alot like the authors of both.Eisner did a better job with the theme parks and Iger is a bean counter only as far as i am concerned!

Very interesting reading brunette.I enjoyed both articles.I personally think alot like the authors of both.Eisner did a better job with the theme parks and Iger is a bean counter only as far as i am concerned!

Hey ya FLICX!

Yes, the First Article is really good! I think Eisner wasn't really that concerned with the bottom line, he was more in tune with getting bigger and better parks and attractions erected within WDW, just like Walt himself. Also, I had no idea that Disney sold some of their 47 acre property! Sheesh!

I think it would be really neat to open a 5th park also! They used to develop parks every 10 years....So hopefully, one will be on the horizon! :)

Hope you're doing well! Happy Friday!

Brunette

Eisner and Iger are VERY different leaders... tidbits written up about both of them in many business books and texts out there. Pros and cons of each style.

I'd disagree strongly that Iger is a bean counter and Eisner didn't care as much about the bottom line. ALL CEOs care A GREAT DEAL about the bottom line!! It's the only way they keep their jobs and get their hefty bonuses. And both of them know what keeps Disney a leading company -- selling that magical experience. So NEITHER of them discounts that. Eisner and Iger have very different styles wrt to talking about this stuff, though, which might give the different impressions many people have of them (i.e. that one cared and the other is a bean counter).

Iger has a solid track record at Disney, and has just joined the Board of Apple -- neither company takes on slouches or tolerates mediocrity. And the general take of Disney employees is that Iger is a more approachable leader, where Eisner isolated himself and had... umm... quite a high opinion of himself. Eisner did resurrect the theme parks, though - no doubt about that. Best decision he ever made, I think.

Hi DRDISNEYMD!
Your post was well thought out and enjoyable to read. We hope you post more often too!

Brunette
Thanks Brunette! I appreciate this! :hug:

At the prompting of DW, I would extend a big ole' "howdy" and thanks to the kind folks with the nice words to me. Spacemountainmom, NYTimez, DrDisneyMD et.al. I'm never quite sure whether or not to respond to such positive words as I have often been thought of as being a bit "full of myself". I'm probably not as much as it may appear at times, it is just writing, something I love to do.

That said, to you fine folks that offered your kind words,

Thank you!

Pirate Jeff. Aaaargh!! pirate:
Your welcome! I love your posts -- I can read them all day. :hug:

Thanks for posting this article -- it struck a cord with me. The article was well written and thoughtful. Especially, regarding Disney's acquisition of Pixar, thank goodness it worked out in Disney's favor but what if it didn't?!? --> close call. I believe Disney became somewhat complacent and now they are trying to make up for it -- in a BIG way. I am extremely excited about the Fantasyland, Avatarland and all the other park enhancements. I hope it pays off for them -- the way it did for Universal. :wizard:

WWOHP Endless Line
14k8xz6.jpg

Thank you for sharing!

I do feel however that articles like this one, which is based strictly on someones unsupported by anything feelings is what brings negative reaction.

I do believe that Disney is overpriced but I also believe that every company should earn money and does not have to invest right back all the earnings, which is what article suggesting.

Yes, Walt was a dreamer, imagineer, but without his brother nothing would work in a first place and without stocks today not much would work as well.

I think it is kind of childish to count Disney money, why not to count how much they added since Disney brothers.

Sure we want new ride or attraction added to every park, every year but then parks will expand way too fast and we already dealing with way too many things to fit into a regular 7 days vacation. And we will have FL and Avatar pretty soon, so they do invest after all, not saying that they do not lack in some areas but it has nothing to do with article itself.

Bottom line, there are problems, there are areas I wish they pay more attention to and there are areas they could do better if they invested a bit more there but all this What would Walt say, do, think... just really does not make a case, except making an emotional splash. JMO.

Thanks Brunette! I appreciate this! :hug:

Your welcome! I love your posts -- I can read them all day. :hug:

Thanks for posting this article -- it struck a cord with me. The article was well written and thoughtful. Especially, regarding Disney's acquisition of Pixar, thank goodness it worked out in Disney's favor but what if it didn't?!? --> close call. I believe Disney became somewhat complacent and now they are trying to make up for it -- in a BIG way. I am extremely excited about the Fantasyland, Avatarland and all the other park enhancements. I hope it pays off for them -- the way it did for Universal. :wizard:

WWOHP Endless Line
14k8xz6.jpg
The picture you have from universal is sobering! Wow!!! I would hate to be in that line!While I think the fantasyland expansion will do well I don't see the Harry Potter type reaction.That place must have been nuts for a long time.

The picture you have from universal is sobering! Wow!!! I would hate to be in that line!While I think the fantasyland expansion will do well I don't see the Harry Potter type reaction.That place must have been nuts for a long time.
LOL. If I ran into a line like that, there is no way I would stick around. I don't think Fantasyland would conjure up anything remotely close to this. However, I think Disney is hopeful that Avatarland will bring in numbers similar to HP - just a guess. :goodvibes

Now flicx.... ;)

It was rather lame wasn't it? We might still go but I am considering skipping this year. I was hoping that some wonderful announcement would convince me to go for sure.

Yes, I think Disney (especially in Florida) has gone downhill over the past decade. While the competition is improving and investing in their parks, Disney has let its Florida parks become stale. Quality has gone down while prices have gone up. Everything from dining to merchandise and maintenance has slowly decreased in quality.

I'm still hoping things can turn around. Things were bad in Anaheim until their 50th celebration and fortunately they are now back on the right path. Hopefully the same can happen in Orlando.

Yes, I think Disney (especially in Florida) has gone downhill over the past decade. While the competition is improving and investing in their parks, Disney has let its Florida parks become stale. Quality has gone down while prices have gone up. Everything from dining to merchandise and maintenance has slowly decreased in quality.

I'm still hoping things can turn around. Things were bad in Anaheim until their 50th celebration and fortunately they are now back on the right path. Hopefully the same can happen in Orlando.
I think that it can happen. It certainly isn't moving in that direction yet but maybe someone who cares will take over and set things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter