Do you resort hop? I love my home resort

Discussion in 'DVC-Mousecellaneous' started by Gary Pinkos, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Gary Pinkos

Gary Pinkos DVC since 1993

Feb 27, 2010
    I own at OKW and I have never stayed anywhere there something wrong with me? :confused3

Maybe I am just cheap, but I never have had a desire to stay at other resorts. The point values seem to be best at OKW and I love the feel of this resort.

We have stayed in cabins at the campground a few years back, because we were making late reservations.

I remember when the Boardwalk was being built, I was excited at the prospect, but just never have doon it.

I have reservations for I thought about making a split stay for a few days and trying BLT......but when I looked at the points, and the thought of repacking......just figured I would stay at OKW

Am I in the minority? Do most people resort hop?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. katmittens

katmittens OKW Owner

Mar 21, 2007
    We own at OKW and have mostly stayed there. We just stayed at VWL in a 2 bedroom and loved it. We have stayed at BCV and AKV at Jambo, and Vero. DH loves OKW the best but he has lately gotten out voted by me and DS and DD. We are staying at AKV in May and may go on the wait list for BC.

We do love OKW, but last time we were there in Jan 09 just felt the rooms needed an update. New beds, the mattresses were way too hard. I am still thinking we should do OKW in May but the kids want the other resorts. I know for sure we will be back next June at OKW, hopefully they will be refurbished by then. You can't beat the size of the rooms and the tropical feel at OKW. The car outside your door and the quietness. OH NO, I think I want to go back. Every nite we discuss where we are staying in May and if we should go on the waitlist for something else. Maybe we have too many choices.

But you should give one of the other resorts a try just to see what it is like.
  4. baxter1999

baxter1999 luvmickey28

Jan 15, 2008
    I own at SSR and I love it! However I do resort hop. I've stayed at BWV (1 bedroom) and my parents have stayed at OKW (studio). I'm staying again at BWV (1 bedroom)in August and VWL (studio) in October.

I do love SSR but sometimes it's just nice to stay somewhere else. I like BWV because of being able to walk to Epcot anf DHS. It all depends how many points I have and if I feel like spluring on a trip.

I say try it! If you don't like it you don't do it again:)

BWV is great in the summer and there's a ton of stuff to do!
  5. ChrisMouse

ChrisMouse DIS Veteran

Mar 8, 2007
    I am right there with you. OKW is just HOME. We love it. We love the size of the rooms and we love the feel of the resort and the kids love the pool. We love the lazy feeling of taking the boat to DTD...we love sitting on our little balcony to eat our breakfast. We love the mature landscaping.

We have some extra points to work with for our upcoming trip, and we tried to talk ourselves into staying somewhere else, but we couldn't do it. We love that our points go farther at OKW than anyplace else. We can have more nights by staying right at OKW.

I'm sure SOMEtime we will stay somewhere else. I'd like to try AKV sometime because my daughter likes giraffes. But we can always just still VISIT the giraffes and then go back home to OKW...:cool1:
  6. lulubelle

lulubelle <font color=darkorchid><marquee> I am Miss Klutz W

Nov 8, 2000
    One of the biggest allures for me with DVC is the ability to go to WDW every 12-18 months and try somewhere new every time! I could never stay at the same place twice before trying all of the resorts at least once. Just my way of vacationing! I suppose eventually I will run out of new locations, but that's ok, so many have been fabulous that I would love to return to.:goodvibes
  7. kikiq

kikiq DIS Veteran

Mar 18, 2007
    My DH loves SSR. I've tried other resorts and we all stayed at BWV last summer, but he rather be at SSR. For our upcoming trip, I booked really last minute and was lucky to get OKW studio. We're excited since it was a friend's OKW 2 bdrm that convinced us that we needed to seriously needed to consider DVC. But we're back at SSR for our summer trip. We looked at all the resorts and SSR is our home and love it there. I like checking out the other resorts on short stays but think we'll always take our longer stays at SSR.

When I called MS to make the May reservations, the CM said that it wasn't strange that my DH wanted to always stay at SSR, she said that when a resort "speaks to you" it is your "home". Why wouldn't you want to come home?
  8. MiaSRN62

MiaSRN62 DIS Veteran

Feb 1, 2000
    I definitely have my favs, but we do resort hop. Each resort offers a different experience and we like that in a vacation........

9. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

Jul 7, 2001
    We definitely resort hop. We have loved each DVC resort we have tried and I am looking forward to trying them all.
  10. mwmuntz

mwmuntz Mouseketeer

Mar 3, 2007
    We own at SSR & BLT. We love SSR, (and THV!) Our first stay at BLT will be in August, where we will also be going to AKV for the first time.

We usually go for 10-13 nights in a trip. We like to resort hop and we like to do split stays. We find that each resort has something amazing to offer, making each experience unique. Sure we have our favorites, but even our least favorite resort is pretty incredible. Have yet to have a bad time with DVC. Not sure if it's possible.
  11. BigEeyore

BigEeyore DIS Veteran

Apr 22, 2008
    We have stayed at a different DVC resort every trip since we joined in 2008, sometimes 2 in one trip! Each resort is so unique, offering different experiences, and each one has its good and bad points. We don't just look at our trips as "another trip to WDW", but rather "our trip to BCV" or "our stay at AKV".
    You should venture out from OKW, try some new experiences! Every DVC resort is wonderful in its own way, you won't regret it!:goodvibes
  12. tjhsr

tjhsr <a href="" targ

Aug 2, 2004
    we go 2-3 times a year and we did try BLT but that was a last minute change. we have gone to VB but SSR is our home resort and there's no place like home:goodvibes
  13. PapasDen

PapasDen Dreaming of Family Fun

Mar 11, 2010
    Like you, OKW is our home resort. We love it for lots of reasons but primarily because it is a more relaxing atmosphere (after a full-tilt day at the parks), the rooms are big (ahhh, stetch out) and the point values are excellent. We usually stay at OKW for the bulk of our trip.

That being said, we find it fun to sample other DVC resorts for 2-3 nights each time we go as well. We've stayed at BCV, VWL, AKV and BWV. While moving from resort to resort isn't fun, it is well worth it in my opinion. As others have said, each resort has it's own atmosphere and benefits.

We have even rotated through many of the non-DVC Disney resorts on weekends to experience them and save on the costly Fri/Sat point values!

Have fun and resort hop. Disney has so much to offer. :thumbsup2
  14. tgropp

tgropp DIS Veteran

Jan 3, 2007
    Since we visit WDW in December, I love to resort hop and get the Christmassy feel at the different resorts.
  15. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 <font color=green>I just love those parmesan mashe

Aug 18, 2005
    We love to resort hop.
    So far we've stayed at:

SSR (twice)
    AKV (Jambo twice, Kidani once)
    BCV (3X)
    BLT (this summer, can't wait !!:banana:)
  16. edk35

edk35 DIS Veteran

Jul 18, 2004
    We are HOPPERS. Our first stay in Aug. 07 was a split with our home resort SSR for 5 nights then BWV for 3. Then we stayed at SSR for a week in Nov. but the following summer in July 08 we split between OKW 8 nights and BCV 5 nights. Then we stayed SSR for a week in Nov. 08. Then in Jan. 09 we stayed less than a week at OKW. In July 09 we split again between BCV and AKV (our other home resort). I love trying the other resorts. :thumbsup2
  17. Chip n Dale's Dad

Chip n Dale's Dad What's going on around here!

Oct 7, 2002
    We like SSR or we wouldn't have bought there. Having said that, we also like BCV and BLT. We haven't tried BLT & AKV, but we have walked to the Cont. and viewed the models and can see why AKV would be pretty cool. I guess that is why we like DVC... the variety. We are happy with SSR, but I can see us adding on at another resort later when our personal finances allow us to.
  18. Kuzco

Kuzco DIS Veteran

Feb 29, 2000
    I've only been a member since 2008 and the only non-home resort I've stayed at is SSR (on Developer's Points). My other two trips have been to my home resort AKV. My three upcoming trips are all planned for AKV, with a few nights at BLT, where I own a small contract. I personally would be willing to stay at any of the other resorts, but I enjoy AKV so much that I'm sure I'll spend most of my vacations there.

When I originally bought, I almost held out a few months for BLT thinking that I'd prefer it to AKV. It turns out I made the right choice in purchasing my larger contract at AKV as I now personally prefer it to BLT. My small contract at BLT allows me to enjoy a few nights there every so often, while spending the majority of my vacations at AKV.
  19. Goofy DVC

Goofy DVC OKW member since 93

Jun 10, 2007
    We joined in 93 and it wasn't until 2009 that we stayed somewhere other than OKW with the exception of 1 night,literally about 12 hours,at the BW before getting on the bus for the cruise.Last year we stayed at SSR in March. Loved it! BLT in August. Loved it! Soon we will be trying BCV. My DD is crazy about OKW! She only wants to stay there. She says we are traitors:confused3 for not staying at OKW all the time. Love them all so far but OKW is still the ONE.:goodvibes We are going to try all the resorts now at least one new one a year until we run out of new experiences.Boy this is fun.
  20. dsneygirl

dsneygirl <font color=blue>My little pirate is here<br><font

Jun 6, 2000
    We are hoppers. I also like different resorts different times of the year. BCV when it is HOT for the pool , VWL at Xmas. I also love AKV and we'll definitely stay at BLT again. We've stayed at everyone on property at least once in the 5 years we've been members.
  21. nmmom95

nmmom95 <font color=teal>I'm a pregnant lesbian in an inte

May 24, 2008
    Our home resort is SSR, which we love, but we'd like to try all of the DVC resorts at least once.