Do you remember Lion Country Safari?

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
I haven't been able to find any articles about it. Do any of you remember Lion County Safari? I think it was in Irvine, but I can't remember as I was a young child when it was there. I remember driving through it and my mom screaming like a lunatic because there were baboons in the road. I know it wouldn't be possible to have a drive through park like that these days, but I was wondering why it closed and if anyone has any pictures of it.

EDIT TO ADD: I found it. I guess I spelled it wrong when I searched before. According to this link, there is still one in Florida. http://www.yesterland.com/lioncountry.html

Last edited:
Ah yes, I do remember it, and a alas it has had a long and varied life, and the last of the entertainment options at the site is finally closing this year, and will become 100% housing.

Here is a look back from Yesterland (Disclosure - Some photos came from my collection).

http://www.yesterland.com/lioncountry.html

So the Irvine Meadows (former Verizon) Amphitheater is having its swansong this summer, saying goodbye for more Apartments. Jimmy Buffett is the current closing act on October 22nd, though Live Nation still has the lease until the end of the year, but will need some time to remove items for use elsewhere.

Wild Rivers, the water park that replaced some of Lion Country Safari has closed down (I was their for closing day in 2011) and still looking for a new location, it pops up in the news for a while, and never gotten past the planning stage.

Part of it became Camp Frazier (named for a Lion that was featured at LCS until he passes) and then Camp James (basically Summer Day Camp Programs), closed along with Wild Rivers in 2011.

Now a park I liked as a kid, Busch Gardens Los Angeles has also gone away, being converted to more Brewery space. (Closed in 1979). They had a great Monorail ride that took you through the brewery and you could see how the beer was actually made. Also a log ride and lots of birds were featured.

http://laist.com/2009/07/18/laistory_busch_gardens_in_van_nuys.php

Or how about the Japanese Deer Park near Knott's, which became the Movieland Wax Museum (once again, I was their on its closing day) and now becoming the Butterfly Pavillion.

https://orangecountytribune.com/2014/08/10/life-and-death-of-japanese-deer-park/

Or how about Marineland, now the Terranea Resort Hotel and the Trump National Golf course in Palos Verdes.

Alas, things change and we all grow older and move on.....

OK, the official announcement, Gwen Stefani, former Anaheim resident, will be the last act at the Irvine Meadows Amphitheater on October 29th and 30th, and then 2 months for Live Nation to get what they can off the property before the last of the former Lion Country Safari becomes Apartment/Condos in 2017. Oh well, things happen.

I guess I need to decide soon if I want to go see Gwen there. I've seen her live a few times and she is a great live performer. I do like her much better with No Doubt than solo, but she's one of the few people I'd take my husband to go see. He doesn't enjoy concerts, but she is entertaining enough that he'd probably have a good time with his ear plugs in.

I would prefer Jimmy Buffett.. ;)

Amazing if you look at the combinations.

In Chula Vista, the city owns an Amphitheater (Sleep Train) and leases a water park to SeaWorld (Aquatica).

In the Bay Area (Vallejo), you have version 2.0 of MarineWorld (moved from a prior location) that is now Six Flags Discovery Kingdom) that has an Amphitheater on its edge, and the County Fairgrounds next door.

Six Flags Magic Mountain has an Amphitheater (Barbra Streisand was one of the first acts) still, and had a second one that was a water theater (Think Cypress Gardens).

Heck, even early in the DLR conversion history, and Amphitheater was part of the plans (basically where the current Transportation Hub is now).

I hope that both Wild Rivers and the Amphitheater get new homes on/near the Great Park, but that looks iffy....

At least the San Diego Zoo Safari Park is fairly safe, even though the land around it (mainly egg farms and farming in general) is disappearing due to land values....

Enjoy the concert if you can talk Hubby into it.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter