Do you know a Doomsday Prepper?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by beaucoup, Dec 10, 2012.

1. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

We know someone who did that for his house he built. He was not a prepper and this was yrs ago he built it, but his floors were a constant temp all year long.

Good luck with your build. :thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Stitchfans

Stitchfans Tres Charming

No, don't know an preppers. To be honest I haven't given it much thought, as far as the end of the world coming.

4. tchrrx

tchrrx <font color=red>Blame it on the plastic cow I ment

I used to have our tornado safe room prepped to stay in for a couple of days if needed. Of course, that was before we started having about 6 other people coming over during bad weather too. And, once the plastic jugs broke down and dumped a gallon of water all over the place, I decided not to worry about it any more. I do usually have plenty of food & stuff, but that's just because I hate going shopping any more than absolutely necessary.

ETA: I forgot to answer the original question! I do have a friend that is a prepper. She'll say that she's not, but she is. :-)

5. yoopermom

yoopermom Come join Bravo by the fire...

Most preppers are hidden in plain sight as people who are "self-sufficient", "homesteaders", "back to earth" type people. The rural parts of our country, especially, are full of them.

For some it's just a hobby, for others a way of life/calling.

And it's not always the *extreme* cases you see on those silly tv shows. Many people who seem the poorest also have nice small stockpiles "just in case".

Live and let live, I guess....

Terri

6. Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin DIS Veteran

7. momof1princess

momof1princess <font color=darkorchid>i feel like i'm going to ex

i don't know any preppers, at least, not that i'm aware of. i don't even know how to can veggies/fruits and only own 2 guns, so, when the apocalypse occurs, i hope i die quickly.

8. BunsenH

BunsenH Bringing Order to Chaos

I'm a Prepper, he's a Prepper,
    She's a Prepper, we're a Prepper,
    Wouldn't you like to be a Prepper, too?
    Be a Prepper. Drink Dr Prepper.

The official drink of Doomsday.

(For me, if someone is going to drop the big one, I want it to fall right on my head. No post-Apocalyptic drama for me.)

9. shelwoj

shelwoj Mouseketeer

Just so you all know, when a prepper talks about "zombies" it's not the flesh eating zonked out beings you think of. They're talking about the person who isn't prepared that is going to come and mooch/steal what they have prepped.

We're not doomsday preppers, we just make sure to have backup heat, water and basic pantry items for power outages. Winter is the most likely time we'll be cut off from everything, so we prepare.

10. nchulka

nchulka <font color=purple>it was funny when the creepy gu

I don't think I know any, at least they don't talk about it. What I always wonder is if those people are disappointed when the stuff they prepare for doesn't happen?? Are there going to be a lot of disappointed people on Dec 22 :rotfl2:

11. bored

bored Mouseketeer

I am a small scale prepper I guess. We have a garden and a stash of food/water/supplies just in case it's needed. Also built a safe room in the basement. I also have a small arsenal of weapons so in the event a disaster happens you'll not get my families stash without a fight!

12. Imzadi

Imzadi Saved by an angel in a trenchcoat

You do know the world is predicted to end on Dec 21st. If you don't already have your house built, you & DH will be toast like the rest of us. :eek: ;)

13. nathalee81

nathalee81 DIS Veteran

Oh, good-I'm so glad that my husband and I aren't the only ones who think about how we would survive after we watch that show.

A cruise ship would be a good place to be if NO ONE was infected, right?

14. Myothername

Myothername DIS Veteran

I always thought I was prepared until Katrina. After that storm I started keeping about 2 weeks worth of food and water. Then after all the political crap lately and watching some of the prepper shows I have gotten more into it, call it a hobby. Each week when I go to the grocery store I spend about an extra $5-10 on extra food, spaghetti sauce, noodles, water, etc. I have started storing it in our unused bedroom. I am going to need more room soon though.

I also have a nice garden and will be expanding it this spring. I am going to start canning as well. I bake my own bread and have the stuff to make a solar oven if needed.

I don't spread the word around because I don't want the "zombies" coming to my house in case of a crisis. I say I am preparing for some type of big event but in reality it is preparing for a hurricane or economic collapse.

I tell my husband one thing I can control in this world is our food. My goal is to have a years worth of food on hand. But I also check dates on the food every 6 months and rotate out when needed so nothing goes bad.

15. diznygirl

diznygirl <font color=701e72>I have a symmetry thing<br><fon

We know a few Preppers. I hope we are well-liked enough that they will offer to share. ;)

Meanwhile, I'm so busy at this time of year that the world could end and I wouldn't even notice!

16. Myothername

Myothername DIS Veteran

None of my family prepares for anything. After Katrina they all left the state for 2 weeks so didn't have to deal with the aftermath. I tell my mother and my brother and sister-in-law they at least need to put in some canned goods and extra water. They just laugh and say they will come to my house. Well I just don't know if I am willing to share. They have had just as much time to prepare as I have. Reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode.

17. Kitty 34

Kitty 34 Hums in her sleep

I have a ton of Christmas baked goods if that can count for anything!!!:thumbsup2

18. erincon23

erincon23 <font color=blue>Everyone must have gotten a life

Have you read Justin Cronin's two books, The Passage and The Twelve? Maybe you shouldn't. Fiction, about just what you described above. I'm getting through The Twelve right now. Scary stuff.

19. Piper

Piper DIS Veteran

No, I know that someday things will be really bad because the Bible says there will be 7 plagues, but since I don't expect to be here during that time, I'm not worried.

20. Becky2005

Becky2005 <font color=darkorchid>I actually thought they mad

:thumbsup2 add into the fact that I'm a Scout leader & have a Scout that LIKES camping (except in the winter) & well...yeah...I already told them I'm so not the camping kind but we are goners....

I've seen the chaos that happens after sports teams wins no less -- the rioting is insane -- if the world ended it would be complete & utter chaos and frankly....too complicated for me to handle.

I was cranky after several days without a dishwasher -- the concept of foraging for my own food well....nah...

Of course, I did wonder if that explained why where I work which is retail, the Christmas stuff has flown off the shelves suepr early, we had people looking for stuff on Dec. 1 & we were already sold out, pretty much selling the display models of things not too much later...I was wondering if it was people figuring they would decorate and celebrate Christmas early just in case or something.

I figure whoever dies on Dec. 22 (is that the day?), that will be the end of the world for them but not so much for the rest of us. My DH was not in the least bit concerned about Y2K since he works with computers & had a good point -- they were making 30 year mortgages prior to the year 2000 which would have already NEEDED 2000 calculations figured out 30 years prior!

Besides "end of the world" would possibly mean end of the planet and it really doesn't matter what supplies you have if the entire earth blows up does it? :confused3

21. lucas

lucas °o°

I'll be on a cruise ship, too. Never thought about a zombie virus!