Do you hang on to your old cameras or do you sell them?

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by DawnM, Jan 4, 2013.

1. DawnM

DawnM Dawn

Just curious.

How do you decide whether to sell or keep?

Dawn

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. hakepb

hakepb DIS Veteran

I generally use a camera too long for it to have any resale value.

I could understand the selling thing if I bought a new camera every year.

4. havoc315

havoc315 DIS Veteran

Agree with hakepb.... That and laziness. Just out of ease, I did send my Sony A100 into Amazon for about $40. If I had gone through the trouble of selling it on ebay myself, maybe it would have gone for $100-150.
    But for example.. and old point and shoot that I bought for $300, that is worth $40 on ebay now.. Not worth the trouble of selling, and I can always give it to my kids, or have an extra backup camera.

5. Frantasmic

Frantasmic <font color=green>*crickets*<br><font color=blue>I

I gave my point and shoot to my daughter.

I gave our original digital Rebel to my sister.

I use the XSi as backup with the 60D as my main camera.

6. Mel522

Mel522 DIS Veteran

I keep all of mine. I become emotionally attached to my cameras and just can't say goodbye. :)

7. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

I have always used mine until they died. Until this time. I kept my Xsi as a backup to my T2i. It's nice knowing I won't be caught without one if something happens. When I sent the T2i in with a couple lenses for calibration, it was really nice not freaking about how long it might be gone.

8. traylorc

traylorc DIS Veteran

In most instances, I will sell my old camera to finance the purchase of a new one.

9. wbeem

wbeem DIS Veteran

I sold all my DX gear when I went full frame and don't regret it. However, I kept my D700 when I recently bought the D800. They each serve a different purpose now.

10. Gianna'sPapa

Gianna'sPapa DIS Veteran

As long as they are functional, I will keep them. I'm currently using my older DSLR as my second/backup camera. When I carry two, I will use my f4 zoom (100-300) lens on the newer camera because it has a more usable ISO range and my f2.8's (70-200 or 28-70) on the older one. The DW also has her DSLR and her film SLR.

11. KCmike

KCmike Never have fallen asleep on any

I keep them all and hope to pass them down to my son and daughters. I would love if they picked up the hobby and went out with me.

12. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

I have kept all of my cameras in the past but have been considering selling my current body when I get a new one. It's still got enough value to make it worth it.

13. hydman33

hydman33 Earning My Ears

I hold on to all my old stuff, mostly just because I like collecting old photography equipment, other times to be able to go back and shoot film. Shooting film really keeps your skills sharp and I think makes you a better digital photographer. Though I still shoot mostly digital.

14. Pooh2

Pooh2 Dis Veteran

I do a little of both.
    I just sold a d60 that had not been used in quite awhile, still have my Pentax K1000 from 30 years ago, cannot bear to part with an Nikon fm2 that I will probably never use again but it is in mint condition. My main camera is a d90 that is getting older but not seeing any need to upgrade.

15. YesDear

YesDear <font color=red>Admired by the Tag Fairy for such

While I still have all my film stuff from back in the day, I do sell the digital. I have sold my D70, given my son my D200. Like William I am getting ready to sell all my DX stuff since I have gone full frame. I would give some of the stuff to my son but he also is looking to go full frame with the release of the D600 so I will probably sell the D300 and assorted DX lens.

I too become emotionally attached to them. I could never sell my F2 or FE and will sometimes attach the old manual focus to the Digital. the 55mm macro is still a great lens.

16. 2Tiggies

2Tiggies DIS Veteran

I sold my D40 with kit lens and put the money towards my D90 about 18 months ago. I was able to buy the body only as I had already purchased the 18-105 lens when I had the D40. However when I do eventually upgrade from what I have, I would rather keep the D90. I love my camera so I'm not looking to change for at least another year, or possibly longer and I doubt it will fetch much to make it worth the hassle of a sale by then.

17. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

I keep my DSLR's but my point and shoots go to the kids or cousins.

18. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

I sell it. Although I still have my old D7000 and D700 after upgrading to the D600. I'll probably sell the D700 soon and just use the D7000 as a backup.

19. WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Wow. It's not just me! :)