Do you ever see alligators on WDW property?

stacynak

Mouseketeer
Being from Alaska, my kids are used to seeing wildlife on a regular basis & in turn, love to see indigenous wildlife wherever we travel. Do you ever see gators on WDW property? My kids are dying to see one in the 'wild'

Being from Alaska, my kids are used to seeing wildlife on a regular basis & in turn, love to see indigenous wildlife wherever we travel. Do you ever see gators on WDW property? My kids are dying to see one in the 'wild'
Yup. I saw the local gator in the Beach Club Villas pond a couple of years ago. I assume that it got too big and was relocated. There are gators anywhere there is water in Florida.

we saw one walking from the Shades of Green (on the golf course) next to the Poly . He was heading for the water :scared1:

Okay. This is freakin' me out!! Are they just roaming free??? What stops them from walkin' on up to the resort??? Yes, I know they are more afraid of us than we are of them. But I also know they gotta eat!!! YIKES!!!:scared1:

Okay. This is freakin' me out!! Are they just roaming free??? What stops them from walkin' on up to the resort??? Yes, I know they are more afraid of us than we are of them. But I also know they gotta eat!!! YIKES!!!:scared1:
If it makes you feel any better, WDW relocates alligators when they reach a certain length. I'm not sure exactly what length that is ... maybe 6 feet?

We've been many times and did see a small one at Fort Wilderness and then at the golf course.

Of course, you see them (or are they Crocs) at Animal Kingdom - they used to have them at the island in Bay Lake (now closed).

If you have the time, rent a car for the day and go to Gatorland. It is just off 417 (exit 11??) so very close. It is a real Florida classic; however, they've put some money into it in recent years and I think it is really worth a 1/2 day visit. You can also get a discount if you are a AAA member.

Again, worth the visit.

YES!! We were staying at WL this past Sept and saw one in the pond. We had a woods view and were on the 4th floor so I wasn't so worried about it. But it was 25 yrds from the first floors balcony :scared1: Glad we weren't on the first floor.

Here is a pic of the "little" critter.

DisneyWorld2010001.jpg

Don't forget the lizards, and snakes as well! in fact, maybe you and your kids would like to check out http://wildflorida.com/ to see what type of wild animals they may get a chance to see that they don't get to see at home. :thumbsup2

I love your kids for wanting to see not just disney things, but real live real life animals! :love:

I've bee quite a few times and have never seen a gator.

Plenty of rabbits, squirrels, ducks, lizards, and of course, two big Chipmunks at the Fort Wilderness Campfire.

I've been to Disney several times and lived in central FL for a year and never saw one. My sister insists she saw one at Caribbean Beach resort a few years back, but I have yet to see one on site. When I lived in FL, I lived in Sebring (south of Orlando) and drove every day to Moore Haven (further south) for work. Lots of lakes in that area. Never saw a gator. Went swimming in some of those lakes and never saw a gator.

They are around, but to the poster who was a bit freaked, it's not like they're just running all over. Chances are you won't see one if you're not looking.

I was hoping to see one last September. We were at CSR for 10 days. Went to all 4 parks and both waterparks.

Nothing. Maybe this year!

This will be my 20th trip to WDW and I've never seen one on property.

HOWEVER, we did see some on that two-lane highway you take to get to Cape Canaveral. The road has canals on both sides and we saw several there. :scared1:

This will be my 20th trip to WDW and I've never seen one on property.

HOWEVER, we did see some on that two-lane highway you take to get to Cape Canaveral. The road has canals on both sides and we saw several there. :scared1:

that highway is what I had nicknamed 'gator lane' as a kid. :laughing: I always saw at least two or three of them on the side of the road. (still alive, just sunning themselves)

I saw one in the lake by Market street in Celebration,it just came over from the back of the lake and stayed in the water right by the rail on the sidewalk where people were at.I'm assuming people have thrown food at it in the past which obviously is not a good thing,I saw it and while it wasn't huge it wasn't tiny either.

We've been many times and did see a small one at Fort Wilderness and then at the golf course.

Of course, you see them (or are they Crocs) at Animal Kingdom - they used to have them at the island in Bay Lake (now closed).

If you have the time, rent a car for the day and go to Gatorland. It is just off 417 (exit 11??) so very close. It is a real Florida classic; however, they've put some money into it in recent years and I think it is really worth a 1/2 day visit. You can also get a discount if you are a AAA member.

Again, worth the visit.
We did Gatorland a couple of years ago. Kids still have their pictures "wresting" the gators. This was one of the best days of our trip. Alligator sampler platter at the food place there was real good too.

We saw one in Dec near a pond leaving AK too. It had to be about 4-5ft long. We have seen things we think were gators other times too but this was definately one. We have also seen 2 armidillos, an otter and one time our taxi almost hit 2 deer!!!!!!!!!!!!But at home we have coyotes, fischer cats, foxes, the occasional bear sighting and too many skunks:scared1: I try not to think about it:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter