Do you ever hold off telling others about your love of Disney

I'll tell anyone but how much I share depends on how much they like Disney. If they're Disney fans then I'll give them a full report. If not, I'll mention I went to Disney and had a good time and then maybe mention something that everyone would find interesting or funny.

I decorated my office with Disney stuff, so it was pretty obvious I loved the World. Over a few years, I became the go-to guy for everyone wanting information and advice. I found most of the guys at the company were not fans but would go with their families and they would ask me how I could stand going so often. They would always be shocked when I told them all the other things they could do while there - golf, fishing, Richard Petty experience (when it was still there), etc. But with other people outside of those who have seen my office, I will talk some just to figure out if they like Disney or not. I recently learned a woman I see once a year at a trade show is a Disney fanatic. So after 5 years of talking business and nonsense, we now catch each other up on all the latest news and things we've done at the World over the past year.

I took my bf to WDW this summer as a short of surprise birthday trip for him. We both like Disney movies and theme parks so it just seemed like a no brainer. We, as two adults with no kids, had an absolute blast and have become totally hooked.
We have gotten a lot of nasty unexpected comments from friends. One of them even (inadvertently I hope) called us "weird" for going without kids. Like we were some kind of threat or something.

I have yet to hold back though. The magic is just too real. :)

Preach it loud and proud!

I think Leelo hit the nail on the head explaining why someone would have a negative reaction to Disneyworld. I've noticed many, who I come across, did not get to go as a child (and hold on to resentment because of this, or maybe just don't have that nostalgic feeling that brings them back to childhood ) or they had a bad time as a child or teenager. Others never had a friend or spouse show them the magic, or they had a bad vacation with young children..

I totally agree because as a kid I remember back in the day when WDW was something new my best friend who lived across the street went on a family trip to Disney. When he got back all he talked about was Disney and how cool it was there.. All I wanted to do was go to Disney but because of my parents financial situation it was never in the cards. As time goes by you just tend to forget about things you thought about doing when you were 8 and think about things like cars,girls,school and hanging out late with friends . As the years went by luckily for me the girl I was dating who also lived on the same street growing up surprised me with a trip to WDW for my 30th birthday. We had another couple come down with us and had a blast!! To this day I can still remember running around like a little kid wanting to do everything there was to do. We went again the next two years in a row. Eventually we got married in 1999 and part of our 2 week honeymoon had to include a 7 night Disney land/sea package. As you can tell by my signature we have been going back ever since with our girls. My first dd was 14 months and my 2nd dd was 16 months. So now my girls were the ones to brag to the other kids as we live on that same street where it all started 43 years ago about Disney and how cool it is there. Karma its a real thing!! We do get the negative responses from family/friends/business associates and maybe if my wife who was the GF at the time didn't bring me that first time maybe I would be negative too. But its not like that, as we love Disney and we don't care what anyone else thinks!!

None of my friends or family are really into Disney like I am. It makes it tough when I've been Disney crazy to the max the last two years.

On a different note, I was out at karaoke night with my mom and somehow found out that the DJ is Disney crazy! He even had a Mickey tattoo. His wife was there and we all talked Disney for a bit. It was great!

We need some kind of Disney meet up so we can all get together once a month locally to get our Disney on.

Yeah, sometimes its tough for us. We had a DCL wedding and went to Disneyland for our honeymoon, and sometimes I felt people's eyebrows raising. I don't mind that as much, but when people feel the need to comment or try to change my mind I do get angry. To be honest, I've started distancing myself from people like that. I only surround myself with people who either love it as much as me or accept it as a a part of who I am. I have learned over time I wouldn't want to waste my time with people who can't at least treat me (and how I choose to spend my time/money) with respect. Its tough though : (

This one time I had watched Peter Pan earlier in the day and I told someone about it. They were like, "Haha, you're just like a kid at heart!" I'll get reactions like that. Thankfully a lot of people I know are also Disney fans. Some of them even work(ed) for Disney.

Ive had the odd negative reaction but its usually from people who who dont share the same kind of interests to me anyway (eg, not into Star Wars, Marvel, DC, films/series, anything fantasy, Harry Potter etc so I guess that makes sense) and people who are still into partying holidays (which for me is my idea of hell, whereas Disney is one of my mate's idea of hell lol)

I relate so much to the above.

I tend to feel much more isolated here in NZ due to my like of Disney, but it's nice to know there's a whole world out there of like minded people.

Yeah - i used to get negative comments or the "oh its disney, silly me your obsessed!", i dont understand why they say things like its a waste of money? sorry is it your money im spending?? didnt think so, everyone has passions, i dont get negative if someones obsessed with their eyebrows or going to the gym!! its their choices, their enjoyments but sadly people do love to judge! personally any disney "freak" as they place it i meet is actually some of the nicest people you can meet! Hakuna Matata i say!

I'm absolutely not opposed to telling people how much I love Disney. If they judge me for it, then that just shows their character.

Funny story, before my current BF, I was trying to put myself out there on the dating market (I hope I never have to do that again... lol). I was using a dating app and a dude actually had the cojones to message me saying "Aren't you a little too old to like Disney?". First of all, this guy clearly wasn't focusing on the end goal of obtaining a relationship because who leads with that and secondly, there is no such thing as "too old" for Disney. I'm just baffled by the rudeness of people sometimes. I don't want to hope he's still single, but all signs point to that he is... :tongue:

I'm very careful who I talk to about Disney . . . some people tend to think Disney is strictly for kids and form opinions on what little information they know. To be fair we used to go every year or so when my girls were younger, but they're all adults now. I go even more often now with either just my DH or my youngest DD. It's a magical place to be no matter how old you are. I'm generally known as the 'Disney Nut' at work, but I keep it low key. Even so, at the office holiday party last year I was awarded some certificate about The Person Most Likely To Go To The Most Magical Place On Earth, or something like that. Laugh, laugh, ha, ha. We also go on cruises and other destinations for vacation, but doesn't seem to stick with anyone. I'll always be the Disney Nut, and I'm just fine with that!

I don't talk about it if they don't show any interest but if someone says they have been or have planned a trip you can't shut me up! I love talking about the last trip, the next trip, their trip....anything Disney really :chat:

My friends threw me a Disney party including Disney kareoke so the cat's out of the bag with them and I appreciate how much effort they all went to.

Around new people I definitely try the reel in the Disney references I could make but once they see my Simba tattoo they usually know haha

My disney obsession started about 5 years ago and if it came up in conversation I'd happily talk to others about why I love Disney parks and Disney in general. Some people didn't really get it but could appreciate my love for it anyway.

However some others not only didn't get it, but would actually try and make me feel bad about liking it. "But you don't have children", "It's for children, are you sure you wouldn't rather xyz". Or "what a waste of money ". It's normally friends of friends but even some family members.

Now I'm very selective what I discuss to whom. Does anyone else do this?
I don't hesitate much to discuss it. People might think it's weird or say things behind my back, but no one has been negative to my face. I'm an adult with no kids who has gone to Disney World the last five years in a row and the last three were solo trips.

I had a good one the other day. I was talking to someone who is going on a trip to WDW soon about thedisneytouristblog and how he's eaten in pretty much every resturant in WDW.

A colleague walking past overheard and remarked "that's sad" which I thought was a tad mean.

But I replied, "yes eating in lots of world class resturants is really sad."

Some people

This thread speaks to my heart in so many ways. I'm 38 and my DW is 36 and we don't have any kids by choice and don't plan on having any either. We get a whole lot of comments about that as well but thats a different story. We both love Disney, my first trip was with her in 2010 and that was only her second time going, her first was when she was 9 and we both had a blast. We did it with a few other family members and then spent part of our honeymoon there last year on our own. We are now planning for another trip in 2018 with some of the same family that went with us in 2010 and we are so excited.

My mom doesn't get it and constantly asks us why are we going back but fortunately I have the family that went with us to share our excitement. I am a huge Disney fan and some of my family knows and even fewer of my work colleagues so I don't talk about it much but if you ask I am more than willing to chat about it. I think my hesitation goes even further though because being 5'2" from the Caribbean and looking like I am from India I am always afraid that I am being "looked at" when I am in the parks so I tend to play down my enthusiasm while I am there and try to keep a low profile but I guess that's something I have to work on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter