Do You Buy a Lot of Souveniers?

vhoffman

DIS Veteran
I typically never budget a set amount for souveniers on most trips, hence, I usually don't buy a lot of stuff. However, I do regret it when I come home and open a suitcase full of nothing but dirty clothes!

Its hard for me to justify spending $$$ at a gift store when we have already spent $$$$ just getting there. But then again, like I said, one would like to have something to remember the trip by. I really don't need coffee mugs, tee shirts, refrigerator magnets, etc., from every place I've ever visited. But then again, I would like something...............I find some of our best souveniers are our pictures, and I like saving broucheres, maps, coupons, tickets, etc., that tell our story. I place them in what I call a "scrapbook" but scrapbooking has become such an "art form" I hesitate to call mine that. I get the high-quality, acid free pages and just put the stuff in, with some organization, of course, but not all the frills a "real" scrapbook would have. I'm working on a scrapbook for our recent Hawaii trip now.

Just interested, how much do you typically spend on souveniers and what type of stuff do you get? I usually like to get one nice thing for our home, like last trip to Hawaii I got a nice quilt wall hanging. I also like to get one nice thing for myself, like a piece of jewelry, etc. I just give my kids money and let them decide what to buy for themselves, although its hard to watch them throw their money away on junk! Well, my house is running out of space for trinkets and my jewelry box is stuffed. Any other ideas for souveniers? Disney and other destinations!

I don't buy much. I buy myself a tee-shirt, a photo album, a couple of pins and usually a hard covered book about a Disney topic.

My teens spend their own money and really don't buy much either. I think my son bought a towel from EPCOT and my daughter bought a picture frame.

DH - buys NOTHING - except the trip. :sunny:

I always end up buying a bunch of picture frames, another thing I like is ornaments. I like buying things I use every day, like a tote bag. I always pick up a bunch of pads and such for use at the office, anything to remind me of WDW. :)

I also buy a troll from Norway every trip and I'd like *someday* to p/u a park themed Harmony Kingdom box each trip.

I'm a sucker for souveniers.

I like to get "practical" or "collectible" souveniers. I collect Hard Rock Cafe pins, Disney pins, charms for each state and tourist trap I visit and postcards, so that is usually what my souvenier shopping consists of. Also we like to get a Christmas ornament from each place we visit.

I don't buy much.
Last time I purchased a license plate with Tinker Bell on it, some pins for my son, a birthday light up cake hat for my son's birthday, some dragon Mickey head logo notebooks, and pencils.

We also bought a few of those flashing light up necklaces sold at the parade for about $4 each. Those were a big hit with the kids we gave them to.

The time before I bought way too much.

Hi! For us..our photographs are the best souvineer. So I usually buy a photo album or a nice frame while there to showcase them. And a nice Hoodie for DD. Anything else she buys for herself. And DH usually dosen't ask for anything.

I love to get a new frame and photo album for each year we have been.We usually go to the outlets and get the girls a shirt or two.Then the girls and I buy some pins while dh likes the stiens from Germany in Epcot.I guess after that it's just whatever "talks" to me, something I just can't leave in Florida.April :woohoo:

I usually spend $100-$150.. I liked waterglobes, so I try to get one of those and then lately when I go I get a few Tinkerbell items.. I got 3 Tink items last trip.. Im heading back in September and my current budget is $150.. There were a few things I wanted to get last time and didnt, so I will get those this time.. I started decorating my room in Tink.. so I will definitely get a Tink waterglobe this time and the other few things I had my eye on..

I usually try to get a tshirt each time also..

We like to buy souvenirs! And we like looking at them too! We spend a full day or two at DTD shopping! :teeth:
We usually get shirts, tote bags, pens, pins, something for the kids teachers, stuffed toys, jewelry, hats, picture frames, photo album, scrapbooking supplies, stuff for the car (bumper stickers, etc.), antenna toppers, ornaments, Mr. Potato parts, all kinds of stuff that tickles our fancy.

I have no clue the amount we spend. Don't remember. :confused3

We really don't do very many souvenirs.
Things we always buy:
A pin from the resort we're staying at
A magnet from the resort we're staying at
A pin for the year we're there
An ornament for the year we're there.

We don't have to worry about the resort pin or magnet this year since we already have them. Once in a great while we'll get something else. On our honeymoon, we bought a photo album. Last year I bought a tshirt of the Swedish Chef from MHM because it was designed to look like the Iron Chef (one of my favorite shows), a book about Walt Disney and golden Mickey ears. This year we'll probably get a few things as well. We know we want to get a baby outfit as we're in the process of adopting a baby. We'll get a MNSSHP pin and the Mickey pirate ears. That's probably all though...souvies just really aren't our thing.

I bought a bunch of overpriced but fabulous scrapbooking supplies including the awesome 2005 red album. We also got a large frame with multiple openings - I love to look at it (it's on the mantle). The kids got toys that they still play with frequently (DS7 got a Star Wars video game and DS3 got a Star Wars gun that makes noise. They each got a model car in the Test Track gift shop. Oh and of course, potato head parts.) DD12 got charms, jewelry, a purse... Can't remember what DH got. :confused3 Oh and we also got a refillable mug from POR. I hear they're good for life :stir::rolleyes1 ;)

Next year, we will get a new mug from POR :teeth: and I'd like to get a shirt. I wish I'd gotten one last year for the 50th celebration. I also wanted the gold ears but they were out of them while we were there. :guilty: I may get some new scrapbooking supplies, but I heard that they changed the format of the albums :(

I tend to like practical souvies. :thumbsup2

I also tend to get practical things (with two toddlers, I can't display too many breakables, and I'd rather not have the "clutter"). I have bought things like a mickey head paper towel dispenser, mickey trivet, villains cookie jar, etc. I bought a few little items from Basin in DTD. again, practical and interesting things that I will use up! Last trip my daughter got Potato Head parts and that was about it (we made sure to bring lots of dollar store items from home to head off some of the "i want thats") Oh, and i got a silhouette cut of my younger daughter to match the one we had of her sister.

Lately we have cut back the budget even more, and I will probably only really shop in the DIsney outlet on this upcoming trip!

We take an evening and head over to the Disney Outlet store in Orlando and pick out one thing each, although I usually end up getting a few mugs.

My kids have light chasers from 2000 and they work fine, so they bring those when we head down to Disney. No need to spend $10 on a new one when their $3 Outlet buy works fine and had Buzz Lightyear on it.

Last trip I splurged on a $5 item. I got the iron Mickey shaped egg maker so that I can now make scrambled eggs (or fried eggs) in the shape of Mickey!!!!

So, $20 or less each trip typically.

Dawn

I prefer not to buy anything. It just ends up as clutter.

We tend to buy a bunch. Though our last big vacation (last year to Arizona, Cali and Disneyland) we ended up mostly just buying pins, though we did end up with a fairly large pin collection for just starting out.

We also tend to buy higher quality items, we collect certain things so if we see something that fits in with our colectables we are likely to get it. We don't tend to get a lot of the cheaper plastic junk that breaks quickly, but prefer the well made items that will last.

For our trip coming up we will likely each get a new Disney shirt (or two), a bunch of postcards (I always get postcards because I tend to forget to take pictures), some pins and possibly a couple of nicer items as well. I am trying to cut down some though because our house has a ton of clutter at the moment and we're trying to cut down on it some.

We did budget somewhere between $500 and 750 for souvenirs this trip, but if we spend less it isn't a problem (it is the spending more that ends up being the problem).

We don't buy much, although we do bring home every kids cup (washed!) that we get as well as the Mickey-shaped plates (I wash them in the ladies') which are good for snacks and craft-times. On our last visit (in February) we also made four of those plastic component robots in Epcot and they're played with frequently. And, before our trip I arranged to have a little lunch cooler of snacks delivered to the hotel. The snacks are long gone but we use the cooler a couple times a week, making its $30 price, well, priceless.

I also bought a $5.00 Italian charm for my the bracelet I'm starting her. So our total expenditure for souveniers was somewhere south of $50.

I'll refrain from answering for Disney trips because we are serious Disney memorabilia collectors. I consider our Disney trips to be part vacation, part shopping excursion. Enough said there ;)

As for other destinations, we don't go with the intent of coming home with a bunch of stuff but we like to keep our eyes open for something different or unique to the area. In Belize last year, we visited a craft market and bought a piece of local pottery that we liked. In San Francisco, DW and DD bought SF logo fleece hooded pullovers. On our cruises, we have purchased several onboard photos.

DD started a keychain collection about 5 years ago so she gets a keychain everywhere we go. Being the well-traveled kid she is, she's got quite a collection already.

DawnM said:
We take an evening and head over to the Disney Outlet store in Orlando and pick out one thing each, although I usually end up getting a few mugs.

My kids have light chasers from 2000 and they work fine, so they bring those when we head down to Disney. No need to spend $10 on a new one when their $3 Outlet buy works fine and had Buzz Lightyear on it.

Last trip I splurged on a $5 item. I got the iron Mickey shaped egg maker so that I can now make scrambled eggs (or fried eggs) in the shape of Mickey!!!!

So, $20 or less each trip typically.

Dawn
Where is the Outlet Store in Orlando? Are the prices that much better? We are driving to Disney so we mught have to buy some stuff here instead. The light up spinners things are $13 in the parks now. We bought one in 2003 and it doesn't work anymore. :sad2:

Yes. Our trip this past April was a whopper. I spend over $700 in souvies. Lots of glasses, Christmas ornaments, Animal Kingdom stuff and t-shirts.

Well, typically they are at LEAST 50% off. I have sometimes found some 80-90% off deals.

They are called Character Warehouse. Here is the link

http://allearsnet.com/btp/cware.htm

We got some toy busses for the boys. They were over 50% off but had 2003 on them instead of the year 2005 (when we bought them!)

I have often found really nice snow globes for 75% off. I even get Christmas gifts there.

Dawn

kaysmommie said:
Where is the Outlet Store in Orlando? Are the prices that much better? We are driving to Disney so we mught have to buy some stuff here instead. The light up spinners things are $13 in the parks now. We bought one in 2003 and it doesn't work anymore. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter