Do you bring a video camera into the parks?

Discussion in 'Photography Board' started by Luvin*Livvy, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Luvin*Livvy

Luvin*Livvy Mouseketeer

And if so....I think I'd like to get a new one! Something small and compact, but still produces good videos! I'm not impressed with the iPhone or the Droid cameras...they are OK..but aren't great once you get them on the computer or TV. I would like an actual video camera, digital video, etc...I love the videos the iPad takes, but I'm not bringing that into the parks!

Can you recommend one that is good for the parks?

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. figment_jii

figment_jii DIS Veteran

4. hotcarib

hotcarib DIS Veteran

No way! I just record video on my phone or digi cam.
    No way do I want to lug another piece of gear.

5. Luvin*Livvy

Luvin*Livvy Mouseketeer

DUH! I forgot there was a photography board on here! Thanks!!!!

6. scrappinginontario

scrappinginontario DIS Veteran

I have a pocket camera that takes great videos too. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

So nice just having one camera to think about and easily be able to switch between movies and pictures with a click of my thumb!

7. LSUfan4444

LSUfan4444 DIS Veteran

Not us. If we want some video of us for any reason, we just use our iPhones. There are podcasts and youtube videos of just about every attraction so definitely no need to video any of that. I feel like asking every person I see videotaping Fantasmic if they have heard of youtube before.?.?.?.?

8. chartle

chartle DIS Veteran

I have a small Samsung pistol grip camcorder, that can also do stills. It has a real optical zoom, a small flash and the form factor fits my hand and shooting style. They no longer make that one but here is a similar one and its water proof to around 10 feet. :thumbsup2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838815-REG/Panasonic_HX_WA2_O_HX_WA2_HD_Waterproof_Dual.html

Folded up they are not much bigger than my Droid Razr Max and can hang from a lanyard.

I could use my droid but I don't like how you have to hold it.

ETA: I picked the above camera to show what it looked like. I really don't know how good of a camera it is.

9. Luvin*Livvy

Luvin*Livvy Mouseketeer

I don't take video of the rides or anything like that.....just my kids with the characters, at the hotel, etc....I did a youtube video of our family vacation last year, but used my husband's iPhone videos, my SIL's regular video camera and then stills...but you can tell all the different qualities of video. I would like to have just one camera.

10. mikegood2

mikegood2 DIS Veteran

I'd just bring a decent p&s camera or spend the money you would spend on a camcorder towards a P&S . The reality is most of them do a really nice job shooting video, maybe not as nice as a dedicated camcorder, but close enough. The other added benefit is the fact that you have camera also. ;). The current versions of iPhone and android phons also do a nice job, but I still prefer a point and shoot camera for a vacation. For a daily walk around camera the phones are fine.

The one area that a camcorder is the best option is if you want to shoot something for long clips. Kids recitals or concerts, sporting events, etc.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

11. 2Tiggies

2Tiggies <font color=blue>I am subscribing to this thread j

I take one with me every year. Actually I've bought a new one several times for the express purpose of taking some video clips of DD and our vacation. WHY I bother is beyond me! I am USELESS!! At least half of the video clips on the cards start off for a few minutes with something of substance before the camera suddenly starts spinning around wildly to the tune of the shutter button of my camera as you can hear me focusing and taking photos, leaving the dang camcorder swinging around on my wrist, completely forgotten :rolleyes2

We do have some good footage, 90% of which was captured by DD when SHE had the video camera. I have now officially given it to her as her own.

I would love to have some personal videos of us. Sure, you can watch clips on Youtube, but there is something nice about watching it and knowing you were there. And for personal memories, like clips of your kids, friends or family, you won't get that from a youtube search.

I took DD on a surprise trip in 2010 and a friend of mine kindly offered to edit the video clips and do something with them on my behalf on our return. From a 15 night stay, most of the short vid was made up of stills taken with a camera, which is testament to how little usable footage was actually brought home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_j1IXRFgvo

I'd never tell someone not to take a video camera if they were going to use it. I think its great. I'm just not very good at it, lol

12. photo_chick

photo_chick Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about

What do you want to do with the video? Do you want a traditional camcorder with some optical zoom or are you looking at a small Flip/Bloggie/Playsport type camera? And what is the budget?

You said you love the video the iPad takes but not the iPhone? I believe the current models use the same camera (can an Apple fan verify this?). Personally I've been using the heck out of the camera on my newest Android phone for video. It is a full 1080p and way better than my older Droid Incredible and better than DH's iPad 2. But a lot comes down to which phone you have. There are great cameras on some models, others not so much.

13. carver922

carver922 Earning My Ears

We have a Kodak playsport. It is very small, smaller than our iPhones. Handles HD pretty well (not great zoom though). However, most of our videos of are us being silly at Disney world. We don't really focus on the major objects around us. (We use the internet pictures for that). It is a great camera to take on the rides and watch our kid's face as he rides a roller coaster or an old favorite. It also takes still shots as well.

Did I mention that it also goes underwater up to 10 feet! Our favorite part of the camera. We love taking it to typhoon lagoon and into our pool at the hotel.

14. boBQuincy

boBQuincy <font color=green>I am not carrying three pods<br>

We carry micro 4/3 cameras which are good still cameras *and* good video cameras. Since these are mirrorless there is no difference in operation between stills and video, in fact these cameras can take full resolution stills in the middle of a video session.

15. Luvin*Livvy

Luvin*Livvy Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I would be using the videos just to have "home movies" at home and to probably make another Disney trip video later on...like on youtube or whatever. I don't tape the rides or shows....just a few little clips of my kids watching them...or if they are included in somewhat...I tape US in Disney....being silly, eating, interacting with characters, at the resort, etc.. But I like a decent quality video, not pixilated the way I find our phone video cameras to be. I'm going to look into all of these. We need a new video camera for our beach trips and stuff.

16. mcraige

mcraige DIS Veteran

Yes, I bring both a digital camera and a digital video camera. In the past, DW would use the digital camera (a P&S) and I would video practically everything. Now that I have a DSLR, I took more pictures and less videos. Since my DSLR will only record about 10-minutes of video at a time, I use my camcorder for longer recordings (parades, F!, etc.). I have a DCR-SX63 (have had it for several years now), but now wish I had gotten an HD model.

17. ForMyBoys

ForMyBoys Mouseketeer

We got a Sony HDR-CX260V High Definition Handycam this past year and LOVE it.

The black model is about $350 on Amazon right now.

Its nice and small and light, very easy to carry around.

It takes very nice still pictures automatically when recording if it detects a smile. To me that is priceless since it captures some real smiles and my kids tend to do the fake smile thing alot when I try to take a picture. And the pictures are 8.9mp, not low resolution pics like some camcorders.

I record on the second highest setting and really like the resolution on our 55" TV. I could record in the highest HD setting but it uses so much space and I find it unnecessary.

We bought a less expensive camera first, came home and did a few recordings and played them back on our TV and we weren't happy w/ the resolution at all... we ended up returning it and spending a bit more money and I'm very happy we did!

18. Jonasphill

Jonasphill Earning My Ears

We took the Sony RX100 and the Sony DSC-HX9v point and shoot cameras and the video that came out of these surpasses most of the video coming out of consumer video camera's. Particularly the video out of the RX100. ( i am a little biased about that the HX9v is my wife's camera ;) )