Do travel agents NOT like Disney cruises?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by maslex, Jul 19, 2006.

1. maslex

maslex DIS Veteran

We're taking our first cruise next month (not Disney--Norwegian Dawn) and our travel agent came by tonight to drop off our paperwork :cool1: My DH told him that I'm already planning our next cruise (hopefully a Disney one) in 2008 and if he had any advise. He flat out told us.....DON'T DO IT. Basically he said that they are so much over priced than a "regular" cruise and you're really paying for the Disney name. Was also talking about other stuff but I was in such awe that I really didn't listen to much more after that. This really threw me for a loop when he said this. Is there anyone out there that could probably shed some light on this one?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Cindi0511

Cindi0511 <font color=green>I have a hard time biting my ton

I'm going out on a limb here, but my guess is he isn't a Disney nut like most people here are. :goodvibes My TA loves Disney and likes Disney cruises, although if you ask her, she will tell you that of course you can get a different cruiseline at a cheaper price. And she is right. But it all depends on what YOU are looking for. Sometimes, it isn't just about the money. :sunny:

4. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

It sure makes you wonder if the cut they get from DCL is so much less than the other lines. ???

5. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

Since this is the second such post in a week or so I wonder the same thing. But it wouldn't surprise me. Other cruise lines have a lot more cabins to fill, so they might have bigger commisions. We know DCL doesn't seem to have a lot of trouble filling the ship on most sailings, so there isn't the need to be as aggressive with the TAs.

As far as our TA, she only ever has good things to say about Disney and the calibur of service they offer. And I guess as long as we book our Disney vacations through her, she's not going to mind collecting whatever the comission is.

6. Luv2Travel

Luv2Travel Member since there were less than 5000 members!

I agree with Cindi, the TA isn't a Disney enthusiast and, therefore, doesn't get it. Yes, you can take a cruise that is less expensive, but you could also go to Six Flags cheaper than you can go to Disney. It's a matter of taste. :thumbsup2

TA's get a decent "cut" from Disney and it increases with the volume the agency sales. He may be a little miffed that it's not as easy to compete in selling DCL since April 1, but there are ways to work around that too. ;)

I'm a TA that's just now getting into cruising, but just from studying the different cruise lines I can tell that its the best one for my family at this time (and hopefully for a while :teeth: ).

7. corve77t

corve77t Earning My Ears

My ta has been on a Disney cruise and had nothing but good to say. He did tell me that they dont sell enough disney cruises to get any discount. He has booked two Disney cruises for me, and has never tried to sell me on a different line. I have sailed NCL, and it did not seem kid friendly.

8. rtphokie

rtphokie Photo board moderator Moderator

He's right that it is significantly more expensive than other cruises but he's probably comparing it to the wrong cruise lines. Disney isn't comparable to Royal Carribbean or Carnival. Maybe it's comparible to Princess.

What most cruise fans and/or travel agents fail to realize is that the reason Disney is so expensive is that their biggest competition is themselves (i.e. WDW) not other cruise lines.

9. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

Commissions are the same percentage of the total fare for all cruise lines, so a Travel Agent makes more on a Disney cruise.

While my Disney cruise was the best of 7 cruises I've taken let's face it, that Travel Agent was just being honest. You DO get more with Disney, but not in proportion to the price. Disney is not a good value. I did not get twice the cruise as compared to our HAL cruise, despite the price being double.
    Disney is the best cruise around, it is an indulgence, a luxury.

Most of us on this board are Americans, and in America we have the right to spend our money how we want, whether it be on cruises, or cars.
    You want value you buy Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Nissan or Dodge.....or you can step up to Lexus, Lincoln, Cadillac, Infinti or Mercedes.....and get more, but pay a premium above and beyond the increased value.

10. mickeyfan1

mickeyfan1 <font color=purple>Come and let me show you my tat

Well, I have to say that I disagree with the poster about comparing DCL to RCCL or Carnival. Both have the same basic itineraries, both have the same basic cabin layouts for many categories, both have children's programs. I also disagree that DCL is comparable to Princess. With Disney, you are paying for the kids clubs, whether you use them or not. You are paying for the Characters, whether you see them or not. You are paying for the Disney name and you should expect to get Disney service. Each cruise line offers different things based on their target passenger. I also do not agree that Disney is the best cruise around. They may have the best horn song, they may have excellent children's programs, they have a great private island, but I like RCCLs equally well and will be visiting HAL's soon. While I am a HUGE Disney fan, as an older adult traveling solo a lot, for the money I can get a much better bang for my buck on RCCL, HAL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess, even Cunard. I could pay more and get more on Silver Seas.

To address the OP's question, I don't think it is a matter of him "getting" it. It could be a matter of education, if he has not been on a DCL cruise, he can't know all the ins and outs. IF you are going to compare only on cruise fares, then yes, DCL is not worth the money. But there is more to cruising than money. Which is why there are so many different ships out there. And which is why I opted for DCL for a Panama Canal Cruise. I think the OP's TA does the entire cruise industry a disservice by making generalized statements like that. He does himself no favor by not seeing the value of sending a family on a DCL cruise, when his good clients discover it on thier own, if they love it, he may have cost himself any future bookings.

11. woody73

woody73 <font color=darkorange>Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen<br><

I'll bet he wears a Timex.

Woody

12. BethA

BethA DIS Veteran

Our TA does a lot of Disney cruises and has sailed on Disney many times.Everyone at his company raves about DCL.

You can get a much cheaper cruise and if he wants to express that --it is true, but I also bet he has never cruised DCL either. We have done RCL and DCL and prefer DCL because i am a Disney addict and because we found the service better and atmosphere friendlier. Others do not feel that way. Make your own decision based on your cruise experience--for us i prefer to ppay to cruise where we are happiest.

13. crisi

crisi DIS Veteran

He's trying to get you the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately, like most people, he has a difficult time getting that different people rate different bangs differently.

14. ldb1030

ldb1030 DIS Veteran

I'm a TA and have been for over 22 years. I LOVE LOVE LOVE DCL and wish I could sell them ALL the time. They are harder to sell sometimes because they are more expensive but if that's all I sold, I would be a happy camper! :thumbsup2

15. Buddy Bear

Buddy Bear Tigger's Best Friend

The most expensive watch I ever bought was from Treasure Ketch which of course has a DCL logo on it, and I have worn more Timex watches than anything but that was funny!! :rotfl2:

16. sandym

sandym <font color=deeppink><marquee behavior=alternate>D

I'm a TA and I LOVE DCL! I consider myself Disney spoiled. I know I should branch out and try other lines but Disney seems to be the best fit for myself and my family.

17. Nysie

Nysie Mouseketeer

We have thought about other cruise lines, but with 2 DDs we feel that DCL is more family friendly! No gambleing and/or the kind of behavior that might go with it (excessive drinking,smoking, language).

18. mickeyfan1

mickeyfan1 <font color=purple>Come and let me show you my tat

Well don't be dissapointed, there are plenty of bars on the Disney ships and places to smoke, and I heard lots of non kid friendly language. Remember, there is gambling on the ships, too. Bingo.

Yes DCL is family friendly, but so are many other lines.

19. tynkerbell

tynkerbell Mouseketeer<br><font color=9966ff> My MIL gave me

That's what I'm thinking too.

20. joshua121301

joshua121301 Mouseketeer

I wear a Timex!

21. Cindi0511

Cindi0511 <font color=green>I have a hard time biting my ton

Please don't misunderstand -- I am NOT bashing your TA. I would venture to guess that the reason there are so many successful cruiselines is that there are so many different kinds of cruisers. He's just not a fan of Disney, and that's all well and good, too. It's up to you to figure out what suites you and your budget best. For US, that is Disney. For others, Disney may be their first preference, but the budget may dictate another cruiseline is more in tune with what you can and/or WANT to spend. :goodvibes