Do they sell shorts for men anywhere at Disneyworld?

Figment4EVA

Earning My Ears
Can you buy men's shorts (not swim trunks) in the hotel or theme park gift shops?

I tried to convince me boyfriend to buy and take a couple pairs of shorts with him, as I am afraid he'll be way too hot and uncomfortable in long jeans. It's his first time so I don't know if he understands just how hot and humid and sweaty it is (not to mention thunderstorms!)

We're leaving in a week. He doesn't think he'll need shorts and said he'll just buy some there if he needs them. He's a guy who gets overheated easily, but never wears shorts normally. I'm not pushing the issue since it's his body, but I just wondered if shorts will be available for sale there if he wants them.

They have some/not many and mostly at the high end boutiques in the deluxe resorts. Think Tommy Bahama. I would highly recommend he take them "just in case."

Liz

That's what I thought. I haven't been able to convince him to buy any (he doesn't own shorts). He's originally from Texas where it is hot but dry, and visited Florida once but not to theme parks where he was out all day.

I think I'll pick up a couple cheap pairs for him at Walmart and pack them in my suitcase as a surprise.
That way, I don't have to nag him, and he won't have to choose between being comfortable and going broke :)
Thanks for the idea!

That's what I thought. I haven't been able to convince him to buy any (he doesn't own shorts). He's originally from Texas where it is hot but dry, and visited Florida once but not to theme parks where he was out all day.

I think I'll pick up a couple cheap pairs for him at Walmart and pack them in my suitcase as a surprise.
That way, I don't have to nag him, and he won't have to choose between being comfortable and going broke :)
Thanks for the idea!

Sounds like a good idea. We are leaving in two weeks and the only reason DW convinced me to bring pants is because we are going on a Disney cruise and I'll wear them in the dining rooms. We're from Seattle, so shorts weather starts in the 60s up here. I'm thinking that even being from Texas, he'll opt for the shorts by the second full day.

Seattle folks sound a lot like New York folks. I wear shorts in December to go cut down our Christmas Tree. I'll echo what others have said, I always look for short when I see men's clothing. I did find a few pairs of shorts last year around Disney property. All of them were in the $50 plus range, which is a bit out of my comfort zone lol.

The Emporium in Magic Kingdom.

Keystone Clothiers in Hollywood Studios.

Mousegears in Epcot.

Sounds like he is really anti-shorts! :) Would he wear like an outdoors type pant that will be breathable and dryable? That would be way more comfy than jeans. Especially if you are going to go on any kind of water ride...wet jeans...the worst. Other than that, yes stash a pair, who wants to spend their park time looking in each shop for shorts? (although you got a good answer right above!)

You should be able to find shorts at the Deluxe resorts' gift shops. They sell lots of golf shirts and some pants/shorts there.

Personally, I usually wear jeans at WDW, even in the summer. But I'm from Texas, so it's not that different than what I'm use to.

I tried to convince me boyfriend to buy and take a couple pairs of shorts with him, as I am afraid he'll be way too hot and uncomfortable in long jeans.

If he really never wears shorts, consider the possibility that the heat would not be as uncomfortable as the weird feeling he gets walking around in shorts. He might think people are staring as his untanned legs and knobby knees or whatever. It may seem weird to most people on these boards, but for some guys asking them to wear shorts is like asking them to wear skirts in terms of how self-conscious it makes them.

Buying a pair and packing in your suitcase is an OK option in my opinion, but respecting his decision would be even better. He's a grown man. If he decides he wants shorts badly enough to pay $50 when he gets to WDW, let him. But I'd bet that he will be just fine in jeans the entire time.

In addition to places mentioned above, you can find nice shorts at Grand Floridian they have a lovely mens shop. As alvernon90 said he may just feel uncomfortable in them. My husband usually tours in long pants (expect on hotest days in August:rolleyes:) He doesnt wear jeans though mostly very light weight khakis or almost linen pants. You might ask him about looking at micro fiber golf type pants. Cut like jeans but wicking/dry-fit and light.

If he really never wears shorts, consider the possibility that the heat would not be as uncomfortable as the weird feeling he gets walking around in shorts. He might think people are staring as his untanned legs and knobby knees or whatever. It may seem weird to most people on these boards, but for some guys asking them to wear shorts is like asking them to wear skirts in terms of how self-conscious it makes them.
This is what I was thinking. Usually if I don't want to wear something, even if it makes more sense, it's cause I'm self conscious about it. Pack shorts for him, but don't push him to wear them if he keeps refusing. No one wants to hear "I told you so" either lol.

If he never wears shorts, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it may not be an issue of temperature, but more what he is comfortable with. I personally went through a period of time where I wouldn't wear shorts. They just were not comfortable to me. I'd wear capris, I'd wear skirts/dresses, but no shorts. I do now own a few pairs of shorts, but it has to be really, really hot before I will wear them (at least in the 90s). I'm perfectly comfortable in jeans or capris up to that temperature, especially if I have sandals on my feet. And I was raised in NJ and live in NY, so it has little to do with where I live. My brother is the complete opposite--he'll wear shorts when it's 50 degrees outside and I'm still in a coat. My husband does wear shorts, but he has a really hard time finding a pair that fits well (the legs all tend to be way too long for him), so he tends to only have 2-3 pairs at a time and wears them until they fall apart.

Anyway, since shorts don't take up tons of room you can certainly get away with buying a pair or two for him "just in case", but keep your receipt and leave the tags on because he very well may not wear them.

Neither DH or I ever wear shorts, even when it's hot so I understand his reluctance. But try to discourage jeans! Way to thick and heavy.

As a PP suggested, try a lightweight outdoor/hiking pant. That's what DH wears every single day (even to work) and says it's no hotter than shorts. I wear thin yoga/excersize pants and find it far more comfortable than shorts as well.

In guessing you'll have a hard time finding something there, and it will eat up a lot of time. I know you can't force him, but maybe see if he's willing to bring at least one alternative, either a pair of shorts or lighter/cooler pants. I could never stand the Florida heat in jeans!

They definitely carry mens shorts in the major stores in the parks (like the Emporium, MouseGears etc). They are not cheap, and they typically have Mickey on them- often a small embroidered Mickey on the bottom of one of the legs. To give you an idea of the price- my absolutely favorite loungewear is a pair of size small knee length men's sweatshorts from there-they were $38. Typically if I buy sweatshorts they are in the $10 range from Ross! They also usually have khaki men's shorts, and those typically run $50 to $60. You can go to the Men's shop in the Grand Floridian, or Yacht Club and probably some of the other deluxe resorts, and find some non-Mickey shorts, but as someone else said those are usually Tommy Bahama or another upscale brand and are usually in the $70 to $100 range. Also, I think you are absolutely right. We were in WDW in December one year. According to the weather forecast the night before we left the highs were going to be between 70-72 the whole week. We brought all jeans. They had a heat wave and the highs were between 80 and 85 all week- we were sweltering in jeans. Here is an example of a pair of Men's shorts they are currently selling in the parks from the Disney Store's Disney Parks section:

http://www.disneystore.com/mickey-mouse-mesh-athletic-shorts/mp/1373490/1000223/

Definitely bring shorts. I brought two pairs this December on a whim. The temps hit the 80s a few different days and I scrambled to do my laundry. I wish I had more short-sleeve tees and shorts.

I was surprised to see how little shorts they have. You can buy them in the golf section, but as someone mentioned, they're very expensive.

Another thing - I'm very sensitive to the weather. I get cold even when it's in the 60s or 70s and overheat when it's very hot. As a result, I always overpack. Pack the shorts, he won't be sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter