Do they ever close DL due to crowds?

meb51

Mouseketeer
We plan to go to DL on May 28th when we complete the Repo cruise. This is the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. I can only assume that the park will be extremely crowded that day. Do they ever close DL when it reaches a certain level of attendance?

Yes, they will 'close' due to crowds. There are various ways they do this though. The first is to stop selling any more new tickets, but still allow people who already have tickets to enter the park. Another would be to only allow re-entry into the park. And finally to not allow anyone in, whether it be re-entry or first time.

They usually only do this for a few hours. Once it appears as if crowds have left, they start letting people back in. And I don't think California Adventure has ever closed due to capacity.

I think you should be ok on that weekend. Usually Easter and New Years are the biggest crowds.

Actually DCA has closed quite a few times to attendance. Though it usually closes after DL does. I think one time DCA reached capacity first, though i might be wrong.

Will having paid preferred seating at fantasmic assure you a place in the park on that day?

I highly doubt it. Usually the parks only close the week between xmas and new years eve. Sometimes easter week, and occasionally during the summer if something big is going on in the area, but that is very rare. I remember them closing to capactiy when the electric parade was leaving. I go to DL every NYE and 4th of july, no problems then. July 17th expect it to close early in the day. Some expect may 5th also, not sure about that one though.

We've been there when it's closed the days following Chrismtas but never any other time. Even, as dletz posted, during the time the Electrical Light Parade "left" and on 4th of July, no closure either day. I would think you wouldnt' have to worry about it memorial day weekend, busy as all get out yes, capacity no.

dsnylndmom said:
We've been there when it's closed the days following Chrismtas but never any other time. Even, as dletz posted, during the time the Electrical Light Parade "left" and on 4th of July, no closure either day. I would think you wouldnt' have to worry about it memorial day weekend, busy as all get out yes, capacity no.

Thanks for the feedback! We can deal with crowded. We've been to Magic Kingdom in WDW on Christmas Day. I know that DL is much smaller than WDW and wasn't sure whether or not it might close more often. Glad to hear that this is not a likely possibility. :cool1:

yeartolate-

If you are concerned about not getting in and you have preferred paid seating to Fantasmic, you could certainly call Disneyland dining for an official answer to your question.

As stated on this thread, much of the crowd will be leaving pre-Fantasmic as it is families with young children.

For my personal guess, I don't think that if the park is "closed" at noon just because you have paid seating to Fantasmic that they'd let you in at that time. However if it was 8:30 and Fantasmic started at 9:00 and you had paid seating, I think that would qualify you to get in.

Hi, noticing that someone mentioned that the park could close early on July 17th- just wondering why. We have never been there before, but were considering a trip in July. Thanks for any calendar info I can get!!

July 17th is Disneyland's actual birthday - 17 July 1955.

So, people will expect that there will be some type of celebration, etc.

For the 40th we had all the cake you could eat throughout the park, Indiana Jones, rappelled down from the Matterhorn past the castle, a time castle that was buried for 40 years, birthday hats to wear, and other types of entertainment.

Does anyone know exactly how many people they let in before they close the gates at DL. We are AP holders and it's incredible how Crowded it is in the summertime.Whatever the amount is it needs to be less!! :confused3

with the expansions I don't know what the official max capacity number is these days....

DL has closed due to max capacity between Christmas and New Years (especially New Year's Eve), 4th of July, and when they retired the Electrical Main Street Parade. And this year it's pretty well accepted that July 17th will hit max capacity .. they're even expecting it could be by 10am :earseek: On that day if you leave the park, even with a hand stamp you will not be guaranteed re-entry.

FYI, I do not think DCA has ever closed due to max capacity....

Thanks for your info. Still wondering if anyone knows exactly how many people it takes before they close the gates??? Anyone??? :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter