Do resales NEED to go through a broker?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by scottashackleton, Apr 1, 2013.

1. scottashackleton

scottashackleton Disney Couple for Life!

Or can 2 independent parties bring a contract to Disney themselves. I hear a lot of negativity about brokers being lazy and incompetent, so why even include them in the first place?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. disneynutz

disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Sure you can do it yourself if you know what you are doing. How are you going to find an owner who is trying to sell?

:earsboy: Bill

4. MoreTravels

MoreTravels Mouseketeer

Just like in a real estate transaction, brokers are there to hook up connections. Once the head-hunting is done, a lawyer or closing company takes over.

You can find buyer privately and hire a closing company to help... But sometimes these closing companies do not want to offend the big-3 and jeopardize their future referrals so I am not sure if they will accept your self-referred business.

Without a broker, there is no 10% commission to lose... if you wish, you can share 5% with your buyer so everyone is happy. It's like selling BLT for $100 for a $90 offered price.

5. Dean

Dean DIS Veteran<br><a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis

As noted, no broker needed if the buyer and seller can get together. There are plenty of closing companies and if the parties are comfortable with each other you can do it yourself fairly easily for under $50 for a WDW property and a single contract.

6. Scotch

Scotch DIS Veteran

There are several reputable closing companies offering escrow swrvices that deal directly with the buyers/sellers -- go to TUG (timeshare users group) for resources and references. I bought and sold our first sets of DVC contracts via private resale without a broker. For our first time we used the form contract kit you can buy from Timesharing Today (though you can create your own). You can find those resale listings on sites like TUG's marketplace, Redweek (for fee), myresortnetwork , etc, but keep in mind brokers use those sites to market their week, too. The seller saves the 10% commission, which can be significant on a large contract; so possible to negotiate a better price for buyers.

7. Scotch

Scotch DIS Veteran

I forgot to mention that you can call DVC and get instructions re how to submit paperwork for the ROFR process -- pretty easy.