Do people actually "camp" in Fort Wilderness?

Not to be rude to all the fine citizens out there who own RV's, but do people still camp at Fort Wilderness the old-fashioned way? My fiance and I were thinking about backpacking to the park one year to save money (no, not for our honeymoon), but are under the impression that it's not a suitable thing anymore.

They still do but are a ever shrinking minority........there is camping and there is RVing lifestyle.......

camping

2009DIYmuledeer004.jpg

rving

motorhome.jpg

you will find rving to be the most dominate at the fort with class A leading the field as you would expect from a $100+ a nite resort...

how many pounds do you carry on your frame pack??

YUCK YUCK! Seen dem biguns! Granny would love to skin dem suckers and cook em up with some greens. Now thats eatin'. You know besides them cement yards they rent ya, they even got a great big cement pond. YEAH! Sometimes weyans goes down to da cement pond to warsh off for supper. It must hold all that water from crick that runs around the general store. I think dem Disney dudes run some pipes to it and fill up dat big ole tank to keep her filled. They even got a smaller cement pond that they let them gassy folks sit in. It sure does bubble when theyans are passin that butt air. Oh and I hear they are makin one for them cabin folks by their swimmin hole. Must be they was plannin on servin more beans up to the tavern maybe. mmmmm mmmm mmmmm :scared1:

dajuss no wayz dat uooz ken maek me bleve wit talk lak dat dat uoo is frum NEW YORK,,
it juss aint nat'troll .

"Book Herder" is the best thing you could think of? If you are going to play "Let's Pretend" at least you could get creative. Make it worth our while.

For all those people who want to take off all there clothes and leave them in a pile and live off the land at the fort GO AHEAD I DARE YOU!!! with temps in the 30s and 20s tonight... I have one word for you shrinkage! and I think you can figure it out, And good luck your going to need it! K.:lmao:

Whenever I go to FW, I put the wife in the trailer and then I hit the woods - leave my clothes in a pile by the comfort station and live off the land for a week. I appreciate all my friends who leave crockpots of food out for me - real hospitable like. Those big chipmunks that appear every night kinda freak me out, if you know what I mean.

That was you that ate my stew. I blamed it on the armadillos running around. I owe them an apology. Thank God you missed the beer in the cooler we marked dirty laundry.:rotfl2:

"Book Herder" is the best thing you could think of? If you are going to play "Let's Pretend" at least you could get creative. Make it worth our while.

But I AM a book herder! I move the lil' critters around the store all day. You think they just line up on the shelf on their own?

Heh. Great answers all around, thanks.

I hadn't thought about how that question looked when I posted it. I suppose it would take up all my vacation time to walk to Orlando, but there'd probably be a good travel book in it.
The "realistic" course would be to check in a backpack tent as luggage and fly down.

What it comes down to is that neither one of us drive, but we both love Fort Wilderness. We ended up spending more time there than at our resort last time. Rocking chairs and conversation after dinner! If only Disney would put in non-family size cabins...

Hurm. Can one eat the armadillos?

I meant this to be a response to Tellnotails. Oops.
They still do but are a ever shrinking minority........there is camping and there is RVing lifestyle.......

camping

rving

you will find rving to be the most dominate at the fort with class A leading the field as you would expect from a $100+ a nite resort...

how many pounds do you carry on your frame pack??

Actually, my sister, who is a re-enacter, is the one with all the equipment. I wanted to see if it was a viable option before picking out a suitable tent. Since I wouldn't be actually hiking with it, my options would be different. We don't drive, and my fiance has bad feet, so all our hiking is usually in the one-day range.

Heh. Great answers all around, thanks.
. Can one eat the armadillos?

Sure ! They make great BBQ. And while your there try the giant hissing cockroaches, really good with a little teriyaki sauce,,Mmmmm Disney eat'ns at its finest,,,
course ya havta catch it yourself.

I meant this to be a response to Tellnotails. Oops.

Actually, my sister, who is a re-enacter, is the one with all the equipment. I wanted to see if it was a viable option before picking out a suitable tent. Since I wouldn't be actually hiking with it, my options would be different. We don't drive, and my fiance has bad feet, so all our hiking is usually in the one-day range.

Just put the backpack on your fiance and carry her piggyback. The exercise will do you good and you will sleep better on the coquina at night since you won't have any quality camping items in your backpack. To hell with the comfort stations, just bathe in the hose and use a tree for facilities. Heck, when you get there don't even check in, just go thru and find a nice wooded area and throw down the 3 or 4 things you hiked in. Let me guess, your precious fiance has a bad back too and the backpack will hurt her. Am I right?

Just put the backpack on your fiance and carry her piggyback. The exercise will do you good and you will sleep better on the coquina at night since you won't have any quality camping items in your backpack. To hell with the comfort stations, just bathe in the hose and use a tree for facilities. Heck, when you get there don't even check in, just go thru and find a nice wooded area and throw down the 3 or 4 things you hiked in. Let me guess, your precious fiance has a bad back too and the backpack will hurt her. Am I right?

:rotfl2:

But I AM a book herder! I move the lil' critters around the store all day. You think they just line up on the shelf on their own?

I've got a few of these you can use to herd stuff...

4160665773_f5c2caf1f5.jpg

3876014954_506ec0175e.jpg

3724765547_7ed9bb1d07.jpg

As you can see, right now they're just wasting their time playing silly games to amuse us... and learning to fly ;)

My beagle says border collies don't have a long enough attention span to herd books.

Ah, too true.... but they're probably smart enough to read them. :rotfl: :lmao:

Although the other night Brady (middle pic) stared at DH for 45 minutes without moving when he knew he had a bag of trout flavored dog biscuits. :magnify:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter