Do NOT step on any animals, please! A May 2012 TR. NEW! 6/25

Hey, Simba22! Way to go in catching up! I loved reading all your comments :goodvibes

I feel the need to collectively apologize to those reading for a lack of updates recently! My computer kinda died, and a friend reformatted it for me. Which is great! But now I don't have easy access to the external hard drive that houses all of our pictures. And since I am a lazy-butt, walking to the other room and plugging my computer in over there sounds complicated so I haven't been uploading my pictures to Photobucket. I knew I should've just done them all at once when I first got back, but I didn't.

Anyway, DH works from home, so I can't kick him out of his office just now, but after work, I will get my little butt in there and upload alllll the pictures so I can finish this! There's only a bit left, I can do it!!!! :thumbsup2

Day 4, 5/9: "Spreadin' the Magic"

Here's some irony for you: I haven't updated in a while because I could get to the pictures saved on our hard drive.Yet, I only have one picture of this entire update. :laughing: Whoopsie.

Before we went to sleep the night before, Mark had requested that we try to eat at the Brown Derby for lunch. I love that place, so quickly agreed. But I insisted that this meant I wouldn't be up for another Olivia's breakfast, since that would mean three table service meals in one day and I just couldn't justify (though I am sure I could've eaten) that much food. So Mark headed to Olivia's on his own, and I was going to meet him after to catch the bus to DHS. As it turned out, I didn't sleep much after he left and caught a bus so quickly that I ended up at the Hospitality House before Mark had even finished eating. So we still made great time getting to the park.

Since we were headed back to DHS, we wanted to try and take advantage of the park opening early. By 8:30, we were waiting at the turnstiles, but this time they opened right on the dot at 9am. The difference in the crowd heading to TSMM was very noticeable- as we followed the herd, several CMs were calling out which way to go to get to Pixar Place. I jokingly asked Mark how they all knew where we were going (since every single body in the park seemed to be heading the same way), and a lady overheard me and helpfully answered that 'everyone is going there'. So then I had to tell her I was joking.
That happens to me a lot. I make some smart-alec sarcastic remark and then I have to explain it (though in my defense, I was talking to Mark and he gets my sarcasm!). Like at work recently, I was training a new volunteer at the shelter and she had been hard at work cleaning in the cat room for a while when she asked if she could get a drink. “Nope”, I told her- never dreaming she'd take me seriously. I felt terrible when she did; “Oh, I should've brought some water, I know..” and I quickly stammered to tell her that she could help herself to the water in the fridge and not to pay attention to anything I say.

Whoops, got distracted. With the park opening right at 9, by the time we reached the Fastpass machines, the return time was a bit later than it had been on our previous DHS morning. And when we hopped in the stand-by line, we had to wait a little instead of walking directly into a ride vehicle. The wait was probably only 10 minutes or so, so not too bad. After we rode, we grabbed one more set of FPs, these return times were for after lunch. I think we porbably killed some time, then used our first set of FPs before leaving Pixar Place. With no pictures and no notes, it's hard to say! :rotfl:

We made our way over to ToT and RnR, but I was very much regretting my decision to skip Olivia's... once again I needed breeakfast in DHS. But Starring Rolls was really crowded, so I stopped at the CS place near ToT and got yet another cheese danish. As I walked away with it, I was stopped by a CM and asked to complete a survey about my experience at this dining location. I gamely agreed, even though my experience consisted of being handed a danish. When I answered one of the questions with “Generally pleasant” the CM came back with “like Pleasant Valley Sunday?” and I got the doofiest grin on my face cause I love the Monkees. And I told him so, but I also continued to babble on about being sad about Davy Jones. So then he had to tell me about Mickey Dolenz taking Davy's spot at the Flower Power concert. I thanked him, even though we wouldn't still be in WDW for it. After all this, I finally ate my danish, then we rode the rides.

After we were done on Sunset Boulevard, I wanted to ride Star Tours again so I could see a different scenario. I think the re-do on this ride is great!

IMG_7448.jpg

It was getting to be near 11:30, and since I had a super-unnutritious breakfast, I was hungry. And Mark is always hungry. So we decided it was as good a time as any to head to the Brown Derby. It was on this trip that I learned that ADRs aren't necessary if you are willing to eat an early meal right when a restaurant opens. Good to know!

We checked in, literally the second group to do so. I know this because the mother and her adult daughter ahead of us were pulled aside and given feather boas and prepped for the restaurant opening ceremony. We weren't being seated yet, so we took a seat and waited patiently. Lots more folks began to arrive, and an adorable family with a couple of small girls came in. The mother/daughter pair watched them for a bit, then approached the mother of the family, and the hostess of the restaurant. They decided to give the opening family honors away to them! Mark and I thought this was such a nice gesture, and we thoroughly enjoyed watching the little girls make their way down the red carpet.

Once they were seated, it was only a few minutes before we sat down for our lunch. Our server came over and quickly sold us on the white sangria to drink. This server was awesome- I wish I remembered her name! Mark and I quickly placed our order: a Cobb salad to share (soooo good... I dream about this salad. And it is HUGE. They split it for you tableside and we each got a giant plate) and we both got the Sterling Silver Pork-seared Tenderloin. It was also amazing. The cheese spaetzle that it came with was divine. And the apple cider jus... OMG. Our server came by to check on us, and noticed that I was rationing the sauce. So she came back with a gravy boat of it, saying that the kitchen was always so stingy with it! :laughing:

While we ate, Mark and I decided that we didn't need to ride TSMM again, and that we should give away our FP. Then we sorta had the same idea at the same time- give them to the mother/daughter who kindly passed on the opening ceremony! So we asked our waitress to bring them over (we pointed them out discreetly), and she reported back that they were thrilled to receive them. :goodvibes

Even though we had eaten a ginormous amount of food, I found room for the vanilla bean crème brulee (yup, it was delicious) and Mark had the Banana White chocolate tower. We left there very full, and a little poor- this is not a cheap meal! But unlike dinner at Marrakesh, we both felt this was money well spent.

When we tried to head out of the restaurant, we realized that it was POURING outside, so we waited a bit for it to taper off. Finally it stopped enough that we decided to head out. We were done with DHS, and made our way to the buses.
I honestly don't remember how we got there, but I do know we ended up at Epcot for the rest of the day. Here's a taste:

IMG_7451.jpg

I love how much magic was being spread around! Very very cool!

I have always wanted to dine at BD... but never have. Someday... I will bite the bullet and just pay the extra in cash or dp credit.

Oh I hate when people don't get my jokes and I have to explain them and then it's like "this is so not funny anymore." I totally understand your plight! :laughing:

Good for you guys for sending more pixie dust around!!! :wizard: It sounds like you guys had a great meal at the Brown Derby! I've never been there before, but it sounds wonderful!

:rotfl: I'm cracking up laughing at your exchange with that woman! I would have been saying the same thing as you. She was probably thinking to herself, "Why don't people do their research before a Disney trip?! Let me educate them!"

How sweet of y'all to pass on your TSM FPs to the mom & daughter.

I didn't know you worked in an animal shelter! I volunteer for one but can't find one around here that will actually PAY me to be there. Talk about my dream job! I'm super jealous!

It's funny because I NEVER take pics at DHS. I really have no idea why but I usually end up posting my updates with a few PP pics and nothing of my own. :confused3

We didn't have that great of an experience the one and only time we ate at Brown Derby. The food just wasn't that good and our server was basically non-existent. It would appear though, that we are the minority...I guess we just went on a bad day!

I swear, giving away FPs is like the greatest feeling ever. People are always so excited and thankful!

I think there's an extra sarcasm gene in the water in Massachusetts because I totally do the same thing.

No pictured of the food?!?! I was hoping to see it as I think I'm going to dine there instead of 50's PT!!

So nice of you to pass around the magic by giving away your TSM FP's!!

I love how much magic was being spread around! Very very cool!

I have always wanted to dine at BD... but never have. Someday... I will bite the bullet and just pay the extra in cash or dp credit.

It is pricey... but the experiences I have had there have felt worth it- the service and food are amazing!

Oh I hate when people don't get my jokes and I have to explain them and then it's like "this is so not funny anymore." I totally understand your plight! :laughing:

Good for you guys for sending more pixie dust around!!! :wizard: It sounds like you guys had a great meal at the Brown Derby! I've never been there before, but it sounds wonderful!

I tend to forget that some people are very literal and can't understand why I talk in opposites :laughing:

:rotfl: I'm cracking up laughing at your exchange with that woman! I would have been saying the same thing as you. She was probably thinking to herself, "Why don't people do their research before a Disney trip?! Let me educate them!"

How sweet of y'all to pass on your TSM FPs to the mom & daughter.

I can't blame her for butting in- I am the queen of eavesdropping, I just don't usually show it by joining in on the convo :laughing:

I didn't know you worked in an animal shelter! I volunteer for one but can't find one around here that will actually PAY me to be there. Talk about my dream job! I'm super jealous!

It's funny because I NEVER take pics at DHS. I really have no idea why but I usually end up posting my updates with a few PP pics and nothing of my own. :confused3

We didn't have that great of an experience the one and only time we ate at Brown Derby. The food just wasn't that good and our server was basically non-existent. It would appear though, that we are the minority...I guess we just went on a bad day!

I swear, giving away FPs is like the greatest feeling ever. People are always so excited and thankful!

Yup, I've worked at my shelter for over 7 years now. Before that I was at a small cat&rabbit shelter in Chicago. I got lucky getting the first job, and when I moved back home there just happened to be an opening at the shelter nearby. I really love it, but I don't love working lots of weekends and holidays. It is also the reason that I have 5 cats, a dog and a bunny. :eek:

Now that you mention it, and looking back at this post- I don't take pictures at DHS, either! We hardly ever stop for character meets, and I guess there's just not much else I need photos of :confused3 I'll do better next time!

I think there's an extra sarcasm gene in the water in Massachusetts because I totally do the same thing.

You are probably right- though I do know plenty of Mass natives who don't get anything I say. Maybe I'm the problem! :laughing:

No pictured of the food?!?! I was hoping to see it as I think I'm going to dine there instead of 50's PT!!

So nice of you to pass around the magic by giving away your TSM FP's!!

Sorry! I didn't take any food pics at all (except the school bread)- if I had been travelling with DH, you woulda got pictures, since he's as much into TR writing as I am!

I can't blame her for butting in- I am the queen of eavesdropping, I just don't usually show it by joining in on the convo :laughing:

Sorry! I didn't take any food pics at all (except the school bread)- if I had been travelling with DH, you woulda got pictures, since he's as much into TR writing as I am!

I am also VERY good (BAD) at eavesdropping... I tend to but my nose in by saying something though and making a fool out of myself...

No problems on the pictures... Thankfully my hubby almost always takes food pictures when we go out so its not a concern when dining at WDW lol! Sometimes the only issue is wanting to dig into the food and forgetting the picture!

I think if you and I knew each other in real life, we'd get along fabulously. I have the same sarcastic personality and sometimes I have to explain myself when people just don't get it. The other day someone told me they had to go to the doctor for a colonoscopy (TMI I know) and I was like 'Oh that sounds like a fun day' and they said 'It's not.' Uh..yeah, no kidding.

That was nice of you to give your FPs to the mother/daughter! :)

I'm usually only really sarcastic with family/friends, because I've had so many instances where I have had to explain to people that I wasn't being serious. :confused3

Lunch sounds like it was good, I'm always a fan of salads. And I think it's great that the two women gave away their spots to another family. I love witnessing other guests spreading the magic.

Haha, I'm the same way with my sarcasm, I always forget that sometimes, you have to get to know people first before you can act that way with them, then I'm afraid they think I'm...well, not a nice person (can't say the non-DIS friendly word on here!)

Mmm, your lunch at the Brown Derby sounds amazing! Brandon always wants to go there, and I'm always afraid to try it, the menu just never looks good to me! But everything you guys got sounds great! Maybe I'll make an ADR there for my next trip and surprise him! :thumbsup2

That was nice of you guys to give away your FP's! We've done that a few times, and people always seem so suspicious, like you're trying to trick them! :rotfl:

Great update! We are fans of BD as well. Glad you had a good meal there and love all the magic! Doing nice things for strangers seems so much easier to do when you are at Disney!

I am also VERY good (BAD) at eavesdropping... I tend to but my nose in by saying something though and making a fool out of myself...

No problems on the pictures... Thankfully my hubby almost always takes food pictures when we go out so its not a concern when dining at WDW lol! Sometimes the only issue is wanting to dig into the food and forgetting the picture!

I often listen to other conversations instead of the one I am actually having... :rotfl: it's a problem!

I think if you and I knew each other in real life, we'd get along fabulously. I have the same sarcastic personality and sometimes I have to explain myself when people just don't get it. The other day someone told me they had to go to the doctor for a colonoscopy (TMI I know) and I was like 'Oh that sounds like a fun day' and they said 'It's not.' Uh..yeah, no kidding.

That was nice of you to give your FPs to the mother/daughter! :)

:laughing: Exactly!! That is the kind of interaction I have all the time (it happened a lot when I was planning the pre-wedding stuff for my friend- her other bridesmaids were super literal. I had to translate everything I said. :lmao: )

I'm usually only really sarcastic with family/friends, because I've had so many instances where I have had to explain to people that I wasn't being serious. :confused3

Lunch sounds like it was good, I'm always a fan of salads. And I think it's great that the two women gave away their spots to another family. I love witnessing other guests spreading the magic.

I just can''t seem to help myself- especially since it is my coping mechanism for my shy-ness, so I end up doing it more and more awkwardly with new people!

Haha, I'm the same way with my sarcasm, I always forget that sometimes, you have to get to know people first before you can act that way with them, then I'm afraid they think I'm...well, not a nice person (can't say the non-DIS friendly word on here!)

Mmm, your lunch at the Brown Derby sounds amazing! Brandon always wants to go there, and I'm always afraid to try it, the menu just never looks good to me! But everything you guys got sounds great! Maybe I'll make an ADR there for my next trip and surprise him! :thumbsup2

That was nice of you guys to give away your FP's! We've done that a few times, and people always seem so suspicious, like you're trying to trick them! :rotfl:

Don't be afraind of Brown Derby- it is GOOD! :hyper:

The suspicion of strangers when trying to give FPs away is part of the reason we had our server pass them along! It worked great!

Great update! We are fans of BD as well. Glad you had a good meal there and love all the magic! Doing nice things for strangers seems so much easier to do when you are at Disney!

Thank you! It was a highlight of the trip, for sure!

I was cleaning out old subscriptions and noticed you didn't finish.

With only 37 days until our next trip, I guess this guy is officially off to the island of misfit TRs... ;)

I was cleaning out old subscriptions and noticed you didn't finish.

With only 37 days until our next trip, I guess this guy is officially off to the island of misfit TRs... ;)

Aww, sad, I really liked this TR! But yay, 37 days til Disney! :cool1: Hopefully there will be a new TR to look forward to!

Awww~!! I keep the subscription going.. Keep waiting for updates...

I don't mind its been a long time! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter