do kids you know still live on campus

all 4 years? All the kids we know move off after freshman year - just curious.
No. Oldest ds is a junior. He lived in freshman dorms (required at his college), then fraternity house and now an apartment. And will probably live in an apartment next year.

Other students I know have done similar.

Ds#2 goes to college in the fall. He'll live on campus for freshman year. But after that, off campus as they don't have enough dorms for those after freshman year.

I had a friend in college who did that. His mom wouldn't let him get an apartment and he had some sort of deal (was it Regents scholar?) where he was almost guaranteed his first choice housing. My college generally only guaranteed on-campus housing for freshmen and athletes.

I expect my DS to live on campus all 4 years. He starts college in the fall. Two of his scholarships require him to live on campus or he loses one and the other is cut in half. That is incentive to stay on campus.

My DS lived in the fraternity house and in off campus housing while he was in college, but DD will live in the dorms all 4 years because there is really no off campus housing at her school. This year she will be sharing a suite with 7 other girls and next year she will be living in a townhouse with 3 other girls. The housing is really nice at her school while the housing at DSs school isn't.

My son is moving to off campus student housing in a couple of weeks, he is finishing up his freshman year. He plans on staying in this apartment the rest of his college time.

My first undergrad I stayed on campus in dorms the first three years then moved off campus to a house i rented with two friends. In retrospect I would have preferred to do the fourth year on campus as well.

Later for graduate school at a different university I lived on campus for a couple years, the second in a dorm room that had a small shared kitchen and then a private bedroom for each of us, kind of like a mini apartment, and the meal plan was not mandatory for that dorm.

SW

I expect my DS to live on campus all 4 years. He starts college in the fall. Two of his scholarships require him to live on campus or he loses one and the other is cut in half. That is incentive to stay on campus.

That's similar to my son who is on scholarship. Bummer for him because a group of his friends are renting a house next year.

It's pretty school dependent how long kids stay on campus. In general, the larger the school, the more kids that live in off-campus housing after freshman year. Are kids are/were required to live on campus all 4 years, which is what they wanted. They have on campus apartments for juniors and seniors though.

DS's college links scholarships to housing so most live in campus housing. Also there is not a lot of housing available off campus. He will be able to get a house or an apartment as a junior.

Where my DD went to school, no. They didn't have enough on-campus housing for freshman so they did not encourage upperclassmen to stay. At my son's school, there are plenty that live on campus beyond the first year and the school seems to encourage it. My son didn't want to stay in the dorm, though. He couldn't get enough sleep.

all 4 years? All the kids we know move off after freshman year - just curious.

Well I know that my dd's friend will do that. She has a full scholarship. Scholarship applies to the dorms and not living off campus. She can pick any housing on campus though. It will be only for 3 yrs since her scholarship includes a full yr of study abroad.

I stayed on campus for 3 years then moved off campus. Our son is staying at home and commuting. Saves us a ton of money.

DS will be a junior next year and will be on campus again, his choice. He is subletting an apartment for the summer so he can participate in a research program, but will be back on campus end of August in a "suite" with 5 other guys.

At my institution 90% of students live on campus all 4 years. A small number move off campus and some live at home with their parents (commuters).

I think it depends on the school and the child's situation.

Our daughter will be moving to an "off campus" apartment sophomore year with 3 of her friends. But the "off campus" apartment is across the street from the practice football field and only two or three blocks away from the big part of the campus.

The apartment has security and a front desk and locked front doors. It's almost like being in a dorm, anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter