Do kids tend to like the deluxe or the more themed value more?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Gracomom, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Gracomom

Gracomom Earning My Ears

We're planning a trip with the family (me, DH, father-in-law, and kids: 4, 6, 8). I know for myself, the deluxe resorts would be great, especially the monorail ones. But for first-time, young travellers, do they tend to like the deluxe resorts for the amenities/pools/etc. or the more themed value? Or is it best to go in the middle at the moderate (if we could afford our choice)? The trip is really about the kids.

We haven't travelled very much with the kids (except a couple trips to Disneyland staying at basic offsite accomodations since they were old enough to remember) and a single trip to Mexico (at a 5* resort, where DS loved the 'deluxe' ammenities like ordering room service, fancy room with a big tub, etc.). So I know my DS likes to get spoiled, but he's still going to be pretty young when we go, and I'm wondering if he'd rather go to a more themed hotel with all the Disney magic, or stay somewhere with character dining breakfast, water slides, etc. ?

Do you usually book your hotel based on what the kids would like best, or do they tend to like what you do? I'm having a hard time deciding where to start.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Marthasor

Marthasor DIS Veteran

My DS6 has stayed in almost every hotel at WDW and countless other hotels in the US, Caribbean and Mexico and prefers accommodations on the deluxe side. They are more comfortable for everyone. Like me, he prefers a short walk to EP or monorail ride over a bus ride. Sit down meals, nicer pools, more comfortable beds. We stayed at AoA and after the first evening of seeing the big character statues, he could not have cared less. Then we were stuck in an uncomfortable, noisy motel with one food court and buses. No one was happy. When you stay deluxe, there is so much more to do and more variety of activities and restaurants. Games on the boardwalk, fireworks from poly beach, etc. if you want a themed wow factor, you will get it in the parks. And the deluxe resorts have Disney themes, too, they are just more subtle - Mickey lamps in the rooms, Disney characters on the hallway carpets, etc. if you can swing it, go deluxe. Everyone, including the kids, will be more entertained and more comfortable.

4. kimj88

kimj88 Mouseketeer

DH9 and DH4 loved the Beach Club Villa 1 br. They loved the decor, extra room, the fact that there was a living room, and the short walk to boardwalk and Epcot. Oh and the pool too. But they have only been once so I can't say if they would like another resort better, but thinking they would prefer deluxe. Also there's the covered walkways to the bus. But of course the crazy price.

5. kimj88

kimj88 Mouseketeer

Forgot to mention we rented dvc points so we did save a lot on the 1 br villa price

6. Mousemommy1

Mousemommy1 DIS Veteran

My girls have stayed at all levels and they prefer deluxe. They even say they don't like the motel style of doors opening to the outside. But also, we tend to stay CL, and they LOVE their "snack room", so I'm sure that has something to do with it. :rotfl2:

They also like being closer to the parks (as do we). Seeing the MK from our resort is enough theming for me!

7. JediBonas

JediBonas DIS Veteran

We stayed at Yacht Club last year when the kiddos were 24 months old and they loved it. Walking to Epcot and HS was really nice and they loved storm along bay.

8. willowsnn3

willowsnn3 Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

We "discovered" WDW about 5 years ago & fell in love. Have had an AP ever since & go several times a year. We have stayed deluxe, mod & value. My grandkids are now 10-12-13.
    Sooo, the last trip they said together, 'can't we just stay at POP?' :rotfl:
    That's where our heart is. We always drive so don't worry about buses. The kids would live in the pool if we let them. And there are a lot of activities to keep them busy when we are not at a park.

9. Marionnette

Marionnette <font color=deeppink>Wishing On A Star<br><font co

Every kids is different and will focus on different things. My kids loved the pool slides, which the value resorts do not have. The room decor didn't matter to them. They didn't think twice about bus systems or food courts. If the place that we stayed at had a good pool, they thought it was awesome.

10. alice99

alice99 DIS Veteran

We have been to Disney world many times with our children.

We have been DVC members for 5 years now..... but, prior to that we stayed at Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach Resort and Wilderness Lodge.

My children absolutely prefer the Deluxe. There is no comparison when you compare quality.

I would stay deluxe every time if I could afford it.

11. redrosesix

redrosesix DIS Veteran

We travel a lot and stay in great hotels on family trips, not so great on team trips (but clean, which is everyone's top priority). My DD has always preferred deluxe outside of wdw, 4-5 stars (with concierge of course). At wdw, she insists that we always stay at ASMusic. If it wasn't available we'd be at AoA.

If we didn't also do the water parks, she might be swayed by the pool slides, etc. Even so, she spends a lot of time in the AS Pools. Heck, she'd spend a lot of time in a puddle.

12. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Well, its been a long time since I was a kid, but my general observation is that kids enjoy the fun theming more than the amenities of a deluxe resort.

13. mommyrosa2

mommyrosa2 DIS Veteran

When my girls were younger, they really didn't care where they stayed in Disney as long as there was a pool onsite. Our first few trips to Disney were in the values and they had a ball. Once we tried a moderate, they enjoyed that even more but once we stayed deluxe, it was pretty much a done deal for them :rotfl:. We've noticed as they've gotten older, they definitely prefer the additional amenities that the deluxes offer (as do we), but I also know they wouldn't hesitate to stay at a value again if that was the only option :goodvibes.

14. GigiDisneyfreak

GigiDisneyfreak DIS Veteran

My kids are now 15 and 21. They have grown up going to WDW. They fall in between everyone else. They very much appreciate the deluxe hotels however love the theming of the other hotels. I would suggest a moderate because it gives you a little of both. My daughters asked to stay at POR this trip in the royal rooms because they missed the theming in the resort. It also has a Marina on the river and the Surrey bikes. Last year we stayed at the yacht club because they loved the pool but they missed the theming. Not that it doesn't have a theme but they like the more in your face theming. If you want a deluxe with a theme I would suggest the poly.

15. Brian Noble

Brian Noble His Curmudgeonly Highness

Around those ages, my kids had three requirements for a hotel on vacation:

1: There must be a pool.
    2: The pool must have water.
    3: The water must be wet.

That's about it.

16. jperrot1

jperrot1 Fantasmic

I think your kids would love a deluxe monorail more than the values, or any deluxe better. There is something so magical to taking a monorail to MK and back to your resort. Your kids will be so happy, and I think they'll know they are so lucky to be in WDW.

17. bamagirl@hrt

bamagirl@hrt DIS Veteran

As others have said, it depends on your children. On the trip we took when DS had just turned 3 and LOVES Toy Story, no resort would've made him happier than staying in the buzz lightyear building at ASMo. No matter how tired he was at night, he perked up when we entered the courtyard of "Andy's room."

When our kids were 8 and 5, however the value rooms started feeling really small. We moved to deluxe, and the kids loved it! They've loved the kids activities that the deluxes have. Great pools - especially storm along bay at the BC/YC, which is their fav. They enjoyed watching the animals and nighttime storyteller at AKL. And playing in the sand and watching MK fireworks from the beach of the Poly.

Personally, I don't care for moderates. I've only stayed at Coronado Springs and Carribean Beach, but both were so spread out. They both had nicely themed pools and nice food courts, but it was a major hike from our room to get to either! And the internal bus stops make getting to a park seem to take FOREVER!

Whatever you choose, I'm sure your family will love it and have a magical time!

18. Wood Nymph

Wood Nymph DIS Veteran

These were our kids' requirements, too. They always asked to go back to the resort so that they could go swimming. ;)

We always stayed deluxe because we wanted to enjoy our vacations. It is stressful traveling with children, and when you add WDW to the mix, it becomes even more so. We choose resorts that we, as adults, felt comfortable in.

The kids loved the deluxe resorts because of the great pools, especially the one at the BC/YC. Now that they are all grown up with children of their own, they still prefer the deluxe resorts. And all three of our children look back at their WDW vacations with many fond memories, none of which include any regrets that they didn't get to stay at a resort with a giant bowling pin outside the building. ;)

19. davedmaine

davedmaine DIS Veteran

If you can afford it, go deluxe.

20. sturowski

sturowski Mouseketeer

We have stayed at all the resorts and at first the requirement was just a pool... Now that they are 7 and 5 they require the hotel to have a slide,lol... So at least need to stay moderate.. Last few years AKL has been the favorite

21. nugov2

nugov2 DIS Veteran

I'd say it would depend on your typical vacation accommodations. We do hotels for short stays and houses for long stays. If you are used to high end accommodations avoid the values/mods. We did a house in WDW, but the kids did activities and we ate at a wide variety of hotels. We would always walk around and check them out. We hit AoA, ASMU and the kids didn't like them. The theming is a little over the top and tacky looking and is very motel like. The pools are not very exciting, they said no. POR they liked a lot including the pool(it was kinda dirty when we were there, but the kids didn't notice) and also liked WL. Poly and GF were the biggest hits with them and the CR(one I liked) they thought was kinda boring.