Do-it-yourself Mickey Head Nails

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Sweety_tweety, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Sweety_tweety

Sweety_tweety Mouseketeer

I know there was a thread on Mickey Mouse toes. I can't find it without the search function--I would have just tacked onto that thread.

Anyway, you can paint your own heads on your nails or toes. Pick two contrasting nail polish colors-. Get two different size small paint brushes--something that you might use for water colors.

Take the larger paintbrush and dip the end of brush (without the bristles) into the nail polish and press it onto the nail--don't get too much polish on the end of the brush. Follow with the slightly smaller brush to make the ears.:thumbsup2 It takes a little practice, but they come out pretty nice looking!

Anyone that has tried Donna Dewberry painting--it is the same concept that she uses for the center of a flower.

I know many people enjoy getting pedicures, but I thought this would be something fun and cheap you can do before you leave.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. HappyPeach

HappyPeach Mouseketeer

that is such a cute idea! I will give it a try. :)

4. Moeluv4u7

Moeluv4u7 Luv2CUSmile

You can also get the small jewels for nails- they come very tiny up to about a 1 cm size- Use a larger one as the head and two tiny as the ears - Paint your nails and then when the nail is still tacky but not very wet place them on and then paint over with a clear polish 2 or 3 coats- Very Posh Disney!

5. momto2inKC

momto2inKC DIS Veteran

Thanks for the tips! I am going to attempt to do mine and my daughters for our upcoming trip :thumbsup2

6. Kae

Kae DIS Veteran

Hears another quick tip for nail art use the watercolor paints that come in the pots(tempera?) do your design let it dry then put on top coat. That way if you make a mistake you can wipe it off with out messing up your basecoat of polish.

Kae

7. phins_jazy

phins_jazy You might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters.

Oh how neat! I'll have to try that!

8. miksilver

miksilver DIS Veteran

Great ideas. I might try some for my upcoming trip. :goodvibes

9. Tykatmadismomma

Tykatmadismomma Domestic Godess

My sister did mine last year with a black sharpie :lmao: It worked and stayed under the clear coat.

10. momto2inKC

momto2inKC DIS Veteran

OMG...hilarious and such a good idea! I'll have to have this as my backup plan :lmao:

11. phins_jazy

phins_jazy You might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters.

Gotta love sharpies!!! :rotfl2:

12. Mickey527

Mickey527 DIS Veteran

A few years back I went to WDW with a large group of pin people and I decorated my fingernails with Mickey very easily.
    I got a small Mickey head punch from AC Moore and punched out some Mickey heads from colored plastic. I used the colored area from a plastic store bag, mine were red.
    I then put a coat of clear polish on my nails and when it dried I put a small dot (very tiny) and stuck the plastic Mickey head on. then I covered the entire Mickey head in clear nail polish.
    This stayed on for almost a week.
    You do have to make sure the plastic won't "melt" with the polish, some do.
    I have also done this with a Mickey paint chip. I peeled off all the paper from the back and punched out Mickey heads. I did red/white and blue for the 4th of July in 2004.

13. gottalluvmickey

gottalluvmickey Mouseketeer

Do any of you have pictures that you can post? I'd love to see the end product:)

14. hearts8701

hearts8701 DIS Veteran

show us a picture when you finish

15. hearts8701

hearts8701 DIS Veteran

sorry double post

16. vald1977

vald1977 <font color=green>I keep thinking that if I keep s

I did this last year. I got a nail art kit at the Dollar store and used a larger clear crystal for Mickey's head and two smaller pink ones for his ears. They actually stayed for a couple of weeks! Here is a blurry pic:

[​IMG]

17. SCHBR'smom

SCHBR'smom <font color=brown>My mind is as clear and focused

Another thing to add to the to do list before our next trip.

18. luvdzne

luvdzne Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Will run and hide i

I do this but with paint pens. They are also great for french manicures.

19. mom2faith

mom2faith DIS Veteran

OK! I have to do this - only I know I will have to do it for DD too and I hate painting 4 yo nails - they are so tiny ;)

luvdzne - do you mean like paint pens, like actualy paint? Or are these some sort of nail polish product I have never heard of.

I love the "punch" idea, the sparkle idea, and of course the back up "sharpie" idea.

Thanks ladies!!

20. luvdzne

luvdzne Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Will run and hide i

Yes they are crafty paint pens. You can buy them at Michaels. You can get a fine point that is perfect for the Mickey heads or an angled tip that is perfect for a french manicure, plus endless colors. When your finished put a clear coat over it when it's dry. I know they make the pens with nail polish now, but the paint pens last just as long, are much cheaper and if you have a coupon even cheaper.

ETA...At Christmas my girls used the same paint pens to put Mickey heads on little votive cups and glass balls to give as gifts. Very cute!

21. mousiemom

mousiemom adam lambert lover!

oh, i wished i had a picture but i do this to my nails every trip. i paint one nail yellow, one black and one red and so on and then i get my black nail polish and do the classic hidden mickey on each nail. i get so many compliments when i go. during our christmas trip i did the red nails w/the white mickey heads.
    have fun!
    mousiemom