Do Disney Store employees get a cruise discount?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Serena6010, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Serena6010

Serena6010 Mouseketeer

I was wondering if anybody knew if Disney Store employees get a discount on DCL? My mom was thinking about working there. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. plutojudy

plutojudy When you wish upon a star.....

I heard that they do get a discount on DCL.

4. DisneyGirl421

DisneyGirl421 <font color=blue>Future Broadway Star!<br><font co

Yes they do get a discount. My mom worked there and we got a 15% discount off the cruise.

5. ThreeCircles

ThreeCircles <font color=blue>Stays up past 3:00 am (have you s

I believe that *all* Disney employees get offered the same company discounts.

We have meet people who worked for Buena Vista Distribution onboard and they said they got discounted rates.

6. rundogrun

rundogrun Mouseketeer

Castmembers all get the same discounts throughout Disney. Discounts vary widely in terms of percentages...depends on the "business unit" i.e. Disney Store, Restaurants, ESPN Zone, hotels, etc. Sometimes for business travel purposes, there are extra substantial discounts, in particular at the restaurants.

Castmember rates are available at the properties, depending on availability. I believe this is true for the Cruiseline as well. I know for certain we would learn about special castmember deals for the cruiseline for certain cruises. I did not sail DCL until after I left Disney, so I can't say for certain what the deals are. People I worked with definitely took advantage of them though.

Castmembers also get free passage into the parks, the one thing I miss most!!!

7. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

FYI...I know this subject always causes a hot debate on this board but as stated by DISNEY, Disney employees cannot discuss their discounts in an open forum like this. It is one of the grounds for termination. Plus, Disney has a pretty good idea who is interviewing to work for them for the sake of WORKING, or just interested in the discounts.

If anyone is a CM or knows a CM out there, there is a CM only board on this website. You would have to contact a moderator to obtain access.

MJ

8. SueEllen

SueEllen <font color=red>Proud Iced Tea Snob<br><font color

also, I cannot remember the specifics right off the top of my head, but there is either a 3 month or 6 month waiting period after being hired to be able to get discounted pricing on the Disney Cruise.

Sue Ellen

9. DMS_cruisers04

DMS_cruisers04 S@H DAD

Okay, so just spoil it for me SueEllen. And I was all ready to go put my application in tomorrow! :laughing:
    Mike

10. ohiominnie

ohiominnie <font color=teal>It's interesting when you google

Is this ANY cast member? We are going with my neice on a DCL cruise and a week + at WDW. She works at Radio Disney in Cleveland.

What do I need to do to verify this??

Also, we checked on a cast member discount for the cruise, but it "was not available on that particular sailing."

11. DisneyGator01

DisneyGator01 Mouseketeer

Ohiominnie,

I would have her call Cast Records and Benefits to see what discounts/ park admisssions she is entitled to. It varies...

12. JenKatt

JenKatt Geek in training

I know quite a few CMs and can speak freely since I still pay Disney, not the other way around.
    Discounts work by where you work. If you work for the parks, DL or WDW, you get free admission into those parks and can use your maingates for ohters and how many people and how many days can vary, but it's usually sufficient that by Christmas time you can get family in w/o trouble.

The cruise discount for WDW/ park employees works like this. There are 2 discoutns, there is the garunteed (and I'm tired so please excuse an inability I have to spell) rate which is 10% off the lowest published price. Meaning it's less that FL resident, but still more than a TA. Then there's the really incredible deal. You can get put on standby. It works out somewhere between $70-$90 a day depending on the cruise pp/ gratiuities included in that. BUT you can put your name down, but up until they give you the key to the world card can say, oops, no room for you. Usually they can give you a good idea 21 days out and for sure 3 days out, but the possibility exisits.

So yes, TDS CMs get a cruise discount, but not the same discount that other CMs get...

13. eye R.N.

eye R.N. <font color=660000>Many TF's like pins ;-)</font><

If she is working seasonal she will be let go long before she is eligible for the cruise. Also all TDS CM's are blacked out of vacation pretty much for the entire time a seasonal , hired now is employeed. So much for getting in free at the parks.

Most TDS, at least in this district, require full weekend availablity. This means you must be available for every shift Sat. and Sun.

Finally, Disney is looking for a buyer for TDS and planns to get the number of stores down to 300 sometime after the first of the year.

I hate to throw a wet blanket on your Mom's plans but better to know the whole story than to commit to a job a find out it wasn't what you thought it was.

14. rae519

rae519 <font color=6666CC>DIS Veteran<br><font color=CC00

Okay, I'm shameless - I want to be a CM. The one who is like the Walmart greeter on the DCL!!!!!

Rae

15. eye R.N.

eye R.N. <font color=660000>Many TF's like pins ;-)</font><

My ten year plan (amazing to think the youngest should be out of college in ten years) is to move to Fl. and work for the Mouse, at least part time. I think working at the Port would be a hoot. Of course my real dream job is fairy godmother, I am rapidly developing the figure for it.

16. rundogrun

rundogrun Mouseketeer

I can't say for sure...she should check with HR. In my experience, I received passes in two forms. First, I received two (I believe) one day passes, which came by mail. I believe all CMs get these. Next, and more importantly, was my Silver Pass. While not unlimited, the amount of days was more than I could ever possibly use in a year (I believe it was about 20 or so). My wife received one as well and each was good for bringing three other people into the park. Any park.

The silver pass could have something to do with my business unit and employment level as well. I do not believe all CMs get these.

17. JenKatt

JenKatt Geek in training

No not all CM's get the passes. In fact, most WDW CM's don't. Friends of ours have silver passes because he works for ABC. Silver passes are unlimited. All CM's get maingates, cast who work for 15 or more years or executives get silver passes or gold passes.

The only difference between silver and gold, gold are truly unlimited. Silver have blackout dates. Silver are unlimited days with some backout dates, main gates have limited visits and blackout dates.

There is a lot of variety in discounts and benefits across the company. What WDW/ DL employees get will be very different from what TDS and other Disney Co employees get. Perhaps it would be beneficial to clarify this when posting about what discounts you get.

18. Hygiene99

Hygiene99 <font color=teal>I am quite the little Teapot<br><

Thank u Jen