Do any Kids CS meals offer any other dessert than JELLO?

1andrea

DIS Veteran
Hi

Does anyone know if any CS kids meals offer something different to Sugar Free Jello for dessert?

Thanks Andrea

I'd like to know also since my kids are allergic to the nutrasweet/equal/etc-- can't do sugar free.

Just back from a quick two days at the World.

I didn't see Jello on any CS Menus (though, we didn't visit every place).

We did see grapes, apple sauce, chocolate pudding and cookies.

You can check the menus for all Disney restaurants at: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/disneydining.cfm

The SFJello does appear to tend to be the standard children's menu desert offering at the cs locations. However, I see in the previous post by Ontfamily that WDW may currently be in the process of switching over to offer other children's options for desert (pudding, cookies, fruit, etc.).

Really shouldn't be that much of an issue, unless you are on the DDP... in which case the 'free' desert option that comes along with a child's cs meal is restricted to what is listed on the child's menu. Doesn't mean that they actually have to eat the Jello (where listed), if you or they choose against it.

If your child wants a different desert than what is on the child's menu, you always have the option of allowing them to order one off of the regular menu. You would simply pay the regular price oop for it. (Or, if on the DDP, one of the adults could share or give their included desert to the child.)

*IF* your child has a legitimate, medically documented allergy to the ingredients in SF Jello (as oppossed to simply not liking it, or your choosing not to allow them to consume sugar-free deserts), then that is a different situation entirely. You may want to talk with Disney Dining directly to find out what they might be able to offer as a safe alternative. They tend to be very accomidating when there is an actual food allergy involved.

Guess what I am trying to say is that there are plenty of reasonable options. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see they are coming up with some more choices.

I was a bit put off by---- "*IF* your child has a legitimate, medically documented allergy to the ingredients in SF Jello (as oppossed to simply not liking it, or your choosing not to allow them to consume sugar-free deserts",

since we live a daily struggle to find foods for our children to be able to eat. The *IF* was unneccesary as it implied that my claims of allergies are not legit. Between my DD7 and DD3, they are allergic to corn, wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, several meats, veggies and fruits, as well as artifical colors and flavors. One has also tested positive for nuts and fish.

Disneyandme,

I definitely was NOT questioning your children's allergies! Living in a family with various legitimate allergies myself, I can genuinely empathize. I am so sorry if you misunderstood my post. :flower3:

Just wanted to provide the information that Disney Dining does try to accomidate the needs of those who have allergies, and will frequently provide options not listed on the public menus, in order to insure that those guests can dine safely while on vacation. But it is a service that really should not be misused or abused by people who don't actually have a need for it (much like the GAC).

Thanks! I've had a tough week of people ignoring my DD3 allergies and not realizing how serious it can be. ( It's not like getting the sniffles from a bit of pollen) I overreacted a bit. Sorry!!

There is a lot of misconceptions concerning the kids CS meals at WDW. I've been to WDW twice in the past six months.

Besides the main course (hot dog, hamburger, chicken strips, mac & cheese, etc) the child receives two side dishes (typically a choice of grapes, carrots, pudding, jello, french fries, apple sauce) and a drink (choice of white milk - low fat or whole, choc milk, juice, soda pop). There's no dessert per se -- it's one of the side items.

There is a lot of hysteria concerning kids meals (most of which I feel is unfounded). Disney has given everyone lots of choice (there is significantly more offerings now, than 12 months ago).

There is a lot of misconceptions concerning the kids CS meals at WDW. I've been to WDW twice in the past six months.

Besides the main course (hot dog, hamburger, chicken strips, mac & cheese, etc) the child receives two side dishes (typically a choice of grapes, carrots, pudding, jello, french fries, apple sauce) and a drink (choice of white milk - low fat or whole, choc milk, juice, soda pop). There's no dessert per se -- it's one of the side items.

There is a lot of hysteria concerning kids meals (most of which I feel is unfounded). Disney has given everyone lots of choice (there is significantly more offerings now, than 12 months ago).

So does that mean that any dessert listed is available to them since these others are the sides?

You can pick any two side items -- they can both be desserts or anything else. ie you can pick both apple sauce and pudding.

I can see why there is some confusion. It depends on the restaurant. At Flatbread Grill, for example, the kids' menu reads:

All meals include choice of two side items: grapes, carrot sticks, or applesauce
Choice of: 1% Mickey Milk, small bottled water or apple juice box

So the entrees include two side items, like a combo meal. SF Jello is listed as a totally separate menu item, and the kids' CS meal is supposed to include a dessert, just like the adult CS meal, so SF Jello is the kids' dessert.

At Cosmic Rays, the kids' meals are all combos and included either cheddar crackers, or a choice of fries or carrots, and a drink (AJ, milk, or soda).

Pecos Bill's and Pinocchio Village House are like Flatbread Grill, except fries are also available on request -- I assume as a substitute for the grapes, carrots, or applesauce? And soda can be subbed for the juice or milk.

Mara has rotisserie chicken or mac and cheese, and both automatically come with with apple sauce. No child's dessert is mentioned, so does that mean kids can pick from the adult desserts? Or is the applesauce considered the dessert? :confused3

It looks like it really depends on the CS restaurant...and probably on the CM who is at the counter :laughing:

Between my DD7 and DD3, they are allergic to corn, wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, several meats, veggies and fruits, as well as artifical colors and flavors. One has also tested positive for nuts and fish.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere to buy soy milk on site at WDW?My DS7 is allergic to Milk, eggs & peanuts. We usually bring Soy Milk with us for him, but with the airline liquid restrictions, I'm not sure if we can get it through security. (we're not renting a car). We can always ship it to the hotel in advance I guess, but it would just be easier to buy it there.

I can see why there is some confusion. It depends on the restaurant. At Flatbread Grill, for example, the kids' menu reads:

All meals include choice of two side items: grapes, carrot sticks, or applesauce
Choice of: 1% Mickey Milk, small bottled water or apple juice box

So the entrees include two side items, like a combo meal. SF Jello is listed as a totally separate menu item, and the kids' CS meal is supposed to include a dessert, just like the adult CS meal, so SF Jello is the kids' dessert.

At Cosmic Rays, the kids' meals are all combos and included either cheddar crackers, or a choice of fries or carrots, and a drink (AJ, milk, or soda).

Pecos Bill's and Pinocchio Village House are like Flatbread Grill, except fries are also available on request -- I assume as a substitute for the grapes, carrots, or applesauce? And soda can be subbed for the juice or milk.

Mara has rotisserie chicken or mac and cheese, and both automatically come with with apple sauce. No child's dessert is mentioned, so does that mean kids can pick from the adult desserts? Or is the applesauce considered the dessert? :confused3

It looks like it really depends on the CS restaurant...and probably on the CM who is at the counter :laughing:

I have eaten at most of the CS eateries over the past few months, and the kids selections are much greater than you have outlined.

For example, I was at Cosmic Ray's on Tuesday, and the side items included grapes, carrots, pudding, jello, french fries, apple sauce.

The menus posted at allearsnet and wdwinfo are not totally correct (they omit some items).

Yes, it does depend slightly on the restaurant (but this more affects the main entree). The side items posted above are available pretty much anywhere.

All kids meals include a main entree, two side items, and one drink. There is no dessert -- if you want one, it must be included as one of the side items.

I understand the whole thing on not wanting your child to have to much Soda. But I don't understand why it's upon request on the kids menus. I mean am I the only one that thinks milk and 95* weather don't really mix well? It just spells sour stomach to me!!!

I have eaten at most of the CS eateries over the past few months, and the kids selections are much greater than you have outlined.

For example, I was at Cosmic Ray's on Tuesday, and the side items included grapes, carrots, pudding, jello, french fries, apple sauce.

The menus posted at allearsnet and wdwinfo are not totally correct (they omit some items).

Yes, it does depend slightly on the restaurant (but this more affects the main entree). The side items posted above are available pretty much anywhere.

All kids meals include a main entree, two side items, and one drink. There is no dessert -- if you want one, it must be included as one of the side items.

That's interesting. I tried to select for examples mostly the CS menus that have been updated since the first of the year. If they are now including pudding as well as jello, that's a plus, and something I had suggested on another thread -- believe it or not, we had a long, rather involved discussion about why Disney was only offering SF jello, when the same manufacturer (Kozy Shack) also sells regular gelatin and many varieties of pudding snack cups. I was advised by our resident business gurus that pudding was just too expensive :laughing: Maybe not the greatest choices, but at least it offers a little variety, and I would think more kids would choose chocolate pudding over SF jello.

Any restaurant that serves fries and soda should be able to sub them for a side and the beverage in the kids' meals. No reason not to, fries are a cheap side and soda is literally pennies a serving -- much cheaper than milk or juice.

As for no dessert with the kids' CS meals, that is really interesting because it's not how the menus read (which granted, may be incorrect) or how the 2007 dining plan brochure describes the offer:

Your Quick Service meal includes:
Entree
Dessert (lunch and dinner)
Non-alcoholic beverage
OR
Combo meal plus one (1) dessert (lunch and dinner)
and one (1) single serve non-alcoholic beverage
Guests 3-9 must order from a children's menu where available

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...agespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/07Dining.pdf

For CS, the offering is an entree OR a combo meal AND a dessert -- doesn't say children don't get dessert. Maybe by including applesauce, jello, and pudding (as you've reported) as possible choices of side items, Disney considers this as offering dessert as part of the kids' combo meal?

I understand the whole thing on not wanting your child to have to much Soda. But I don't understand why it's upon request on the kids menus. I mean am I the only one that thinks milk and 95* weather don't really mix well? It just spells sour stomach to me!!!

I believe that Disney CM's refer to the results of milk + 95° weather as a "protein spill" :crazy2:

Are CS starting to serve kids hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken strips again? When we were at WDW last August it was hard to find these items on the kids menus.

Hey, we just returned, and found different offerings at different restaurants. Also, how hard I tried to figure things out depended on how long the line was...

Here is our CS experience with our 3 kids...

Day 1: Hot Dog stand outside of Peco's Bills: They received a hot dog, 20 oz soda, and french fries... no dessert, but the stand didn't offer dessert

Day 2: Wolf Gang Puck's express: They could order many things, I can't remember them all, but better choice than anywhere else we went for CS. They all got very tasty cheese pizza, with a large choc chip cookie and drink.

Day 3: Cosmic Ray's starlight cafe: They could get chicken strips, or a salad, with fries and dessert with a drink. I know that you can sub grapes or applesauce for dessert (we were never offered pudding).

Day 4: Mexico restaurant in Epcot (the CS one). They received a burrito, and nachos with a drink.

Now, we probably didn't always ask for dessert, and obviously didn't always receive it. Shame on us, we should have taken full advantage of our disney dining plan.

Truly, it isn't as black and white as you might think it is. You just have to ask, and see what each place offers. We were always able to find something to eat... we never had any sugarfree jello. I think I only saw it on one menu the whole week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter