DLR/Anaheim Area - how safe is it?

andysgirl360

Mouseketeer
Just wondering how safe the surrounding area is - we're staying at Hojo's in Aug and plan to walk back and forth. Is the walk safe in the evening/park close? I don't know anything about the areas surrounding DLR and I would love some opinions. I know how some places one neighborhood can be great and the next street is unsafe....if you've got opinions/stories, please post.

I've seen a few threads where people have mentioned gangs at DLR, so I just wondered if they hang around the surrounding areas, waiting for unsuspecting tourists. :scared1: I know I'm probably paranoid but I just need some reassurances.:flower3:

Thanks!

I could be totally wrong, but my concept of gangs is that they mainly bother each other.

Harbor, Katella, and Disneyland Drive have all felt just fine when I'm walking on them. I'm walking on them while other tourists are walking, so really, you're just surrounded by other tourists.

There are also people on their way to and from work (wearing uniforms, waiting at bus stops, and you often see CMs on their way to and from!), and I've seen two obviously homeless people settling in or waking up from sleeping on a bus stop bench :hug: .

For reference!

Here is a slightly zoomed view from the sidewalk in front of the Carousel. You can see the HoJo sign easily. It is zoomed, though, but just a little bit.

47b8df06b3127cceb57641c31b0800000025118CZMmjFq1bC

And the Carousel is maybe a block from the intersection that leads you across Harbor to see this.

47b7d709b3127ccebd2f70a7b46100000086108CZMmjFq1bC

It looks big on the map. It can feel big on your feet at night! But it's not really that big of an area. :)

I could be totally wrong, but my concept of gangs is that they mainly bother each other.

You're right Molly. Once in awhile gangs will bother random people, but very rarely.

But the DLR is safe. Especially in close proximity. If you follow "the herd" everyone else will be arriving/leaving DLR. And it's very well lit. Just be aware of your surroundings like aways..

not to mention, Cast Members going home from work going North on the 5 will pass by harbor :)

Its pretty safe. and most hotels im sure have cameras for the guest's safety.

Thanks you guys! I was hoping the area would be just like that, full of people and well lit. Has anyone been to the Anaheim Gardenwalk? Is it within walking distance from Hojo's? Looks like there will be lots of good restaurants and shopping.

Thanks you guys! I was hoping the area would be just like that, full of people and well lit. Has anyone been to the Anaheim Gardenwalk? Is it within walking distance from Hojo's? Looks like there will be lots of good restaurants and shopping.

It's about a 5-10 minute walk. Just go down Harbor (away from DLR's entrance) and turn left on Katella. Keep going and you won't miss it. Here's a map:

GardenwalkMap.gif

On the map, HoJo's is towards the top on Harbor, just under Manchester.

I haven't been a regular on the boards...only recently signing on but I'm a regular at Dland....since I was a kid and more so since 1989...I take daycare children on a 2000 mile trip by myself and have never even remotely felt nervous!

As others have mentioned you'll feel very comfortable with the crowds walking out in the evenings...amazed...in wonderment...exhausted...looking forward to the next morning.

Enjoy!

Just something we noticed last weekend while walking back and forth to HOJO's. We did what DM suggested and that was cross at Manchester right at HOJO's and walk along side the fence of DLR. We did that going to the park. At night though...we crossed at the crosswalk and walked on the other side. It's lit up more..and well....there's a different kind of crowd at the bus stop on the DLR side as the hotel side at night. You'll see what I mean when you're there. We just felt better walking with the crowd at night. In the morning...it saved us time to cross at Manchester.

I agree with others it is safe. However, I would qualify. I would (and do) feel fine with my DW walking solo Harbor during day. Same thing with any of my kids 11+ in age walking solo. But after dark I would not want any of them walking Harbor solo. A group of two at night is fine IMO, and truth be told solo would also likely be fine at night. But I get a little nervous at night.

We have stayed at HOJOs and the last few times at BWPPI. The BWPPI (and a few others right there at the crosswalk) does not require any walking along Harbor. So when we stayed there last June my kids soloed it back to BWPPI at night and I felt fine with that.

I was a little worried too at first, but seeing how it was there I felt better. DH was worried at first to let me and DD go alone to the park, but felt comfortable after a couple days. We stayed at the Tropicana so It was across the street. DD and I came back by ourselves one night after the fireworks so it was late, but there was a large crowd also leaving dland....So I felt safe.

I did loose one of our 5 day park hoppers (I think in the IAJ FP area) and filed a report with lost/found. No one ever turned it in tho. I am sad because that was a souviner ticket and I was going to put it in the scrapbook... I did find someones ticket and turned it in to a CM hoping karma would work, but it didn't :mad:

If it makes you feel better, Disneyland Security has a view across from Tropicana or whatever hotel is right next/next next to Mcdonalds.

:) Thats where Security department office is.

I've never felt scared walking back to any of the hotels on Harbor. We like to stay at HoJo and we feel no worries in crossing at Manchester on the way in the morning or the way back at night. Altho the cars whizzing by at much higher than the speed limit do worry me a bit we just all walk close to the inside of the sidewalk and I feel a little better. :) I've always felt just fine doing that walk with my girls no matter what time it is. :)

Just wondering how safe the surrounding area is - we're staying at Hojo's in Aug and plan to walk back and forth. Is the walk safe in the evening/park close? I don't know anything about the areas surrounding DLR and I would love some opinions. I know how some places one neighborhood can be great and the next street is unsafe....if you've got opinions/stories, please post.

I've seen a few threads where people have mentioned gangs at DLR, so I just wondered if they hang around the surrounding areas, waiting for unsuspecting tourists. :scared1: I know I'm probably paranoid but I just need some reassurances.:flower3:

Thanks!

Most of the time, it's just kids hanging out. But some people always assume "Gang"

You have much more chance of being robbed by a time share salesperson with a fountain pen than you do by any gang members.

Just like anywhere else it's always good to be aware of your surroundings. We stayed at the Tropicana last June and we always felt safe. I walked back to the hotel by myself once, and back to the park a few times.

Only once did something odd happen. There was a lady hanging around the entrance of the hotel and suddenly one of their employees came rushing out at her on one of those golf cart things. She went running and he followed her down the street! Not sure what she did but that was interesting! LOL

I admit I'm a little more nervous being further down the street at Hojo's this time. Getting in to the Tropicana was quite quick! But I'm sure it will be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter