DLP first time plus Europa/Port Aventura

Europa Park or Port Aventura

• Other (leave in the comments section)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dr. Seaker

Earning My Ears
I'll be over in Europe (for the first time) with my fam, then after they fly back to the states, I'm doing a solo run at DLP (and have a couple of questions for the experts) before flying out of Paris.

- Are the parks legacy FP system, the new WDW FP system, or like USO's?
- What would be a better park to go to; Europa or Port Aventura (as I don't think I have the funds for both)?
- What would be easier to travel to by train/bus (I'm assuming this will also be a wasted day)?
- With 4 nights/4 days in the DLP, DS, DV, and all the hotels; will I be able to see/do it all?
- I'm thinking of staying at Sequoia because of the price (around 1,200 inc breakfast & tix) and because it's the second highest rated online; good call or bad call?
- If I visit Disneyland Hotel will I be able to enter the park or will I need a Disneyland Hotel keycard?
- Are there any 'Must Eats' (food items or locations)? EG Mythos is a USO must eat location, a Dole Whip Float is a DMK must eat item
- If I need to move the dates up or back (after I've booked them), will I have an issue? I don't have international calling and there's no live help to ask on the website :badpc:
- Will I need to download a translator app to operate in and around DLP (I only know English)? Will I need to do so for transport to and from the resort to Spain/Germany?

Thanks for the help!

legacy FP. However, the FP window is only 30 minutes, not one hour.

- What would be a better park to go to; Europa or Port Aventura (as I don't think I have the funds for both)?

I have been to neither of the two. I just know that generally Europa Park is quite well regarded as it is a showcase for the ride manufacturer Mack rides.

- What would be easier to travel to by train/bus (I'm assuming this will also be a wasted day)?

I am currently planning a trip that includes Europa Park and DLP and have found out that it takes about 5.5 hours to get from one to the other. This is mainly due to Europa Park being in a very rural area, so a lot os connecting from one local train to another. We are therefore looking into getting a private shuttle to drive us form Strassbourg to Europa Park, which is about a 40 minute drive. There are direct TGV from Strassbourg to Marne la Vallee, travel time is about 2.5 hours. You could consider taking some hours in Strassbourg to walk around the city which is very beautiful.

- With 4 nights/4 days in the DLP, DS, DV, and all the hotels; will I be able to see/do it all?

Yes, especially if you are on your own, I think 4 nights are plenty.

- I'm thinking of staying at Sequoia because of the price (around 1,200 inc breakfast & tix) and because it's the second highest rated online; good call or bad call?

I love the Sequoia. The Newport Bay Club is currently undergoing refurbishment and should not be much more than the Sequoia. I guess once it is refurbed, the ratings will come up. The Sequoia was refurbished a couple of years ago.

- If I visit Disneyland Hotel will I be able to enter the park or will I need a Disneyland Hotel keycard?

I guess you are thinking that there might be a direct entrance into the park from the hotel similar to the Grand Californian at DL? I don't think there is an entrance like that, but since the main entrance is just behind the Disneyland hotel, leaving the hotel and getting to the park really is no problem at all.

- Are there any 'Must Eats' (food items or locations)? EG Mythos is a USO must eat location, a Dole Whip Float is a DMK must eat item

I would say Remy's is definitely a must eat location.

- If I need to move the dates up or back (after I've booked them), will I have an issue? I don't have international calling and there's no live help to ask on the website :badpc:

I think all changes require you to call. But, I would suggest getting an account with skype. Then you can call every normal telephone number for just a few cents. International calling via Skype is really cheap.

- Will I need to download a translator app to operate in and around DLP (I only know English)? Will I need to do so for transport to and from the resort to Spain/Germany?

I have found that there is no problem getting around DLP with only English. A translator app might be nice to have though. Germany generally is ok with English as well. Especially Europa Park should not be an issue. If you chose to do the local train and local bus trip to Europa Park that might be a bit more difficult, but I also expect them to be used to tourists. But I see plenty of American tourists making their way around Germany without being able to speak a single word of German and they usually seem to do ok.

Having been to Port Aventura once and Europa Park twice, I'd go for Europa Park every time! I love the place, even the food in the park is great and the hotels are brilliantly themed. There are many more rides at Europa Park I think and they include dark rides - a version of POTC and Phantom Manor, neither quite as good as DLRP but they're not bad. The water ride Atlantica Supersplash is amazing as is Poseidon and there are some briliant adrenalin rides if you're into that sort of thing (which I'm not!!) The whole park is beautifully landscaped and I found it much easier to get around the Port Aventura which had very few "short-cuts" to the different areas and was pretty tiring. EP is very clean and the queues were never long. Port Aventura had more shows I think, but that's not a priority for me. The food there was nowhere near as good, including that offered in the hotels. Europa Park on the other hand, well, the hotel buffets are the best I've encountered! In fact, just writing this makes me wonder if I should be booking for next year....!

Legacy paper Fastpass, the machines are located beside the rides

Yes DLP is like a smaller version of Disneyland California. There are only 2 parks, which are next to each other. The Disneyvillage is about 10 minutes from the main park entrance. The hotels all have shuttle buses but sometimes its easyier and nicer to walk to them. The hotels are the other side of Disney village, meaning you walk through the shopping area, to the lake and then onto the hotels

Good call. Its a mid price hotel similar in style to Grand Californian in Disneyland California. I stayed here in December 2013. The hotel has a main building and 5 Lodges. The standard rooms are generally in the lodges, with the Montana rooms and Golden Forest (VIP level) in the main building. The hotel is on two levels. The lakeside level is the restaurant level. The reception /lobby level is above that and that is the level you exit / enter to and from the lodges and carpark. The breakfast is a contental buffet, which means tea/coffee/ fruit juices, mini croissants, bread for toasting, cereals (usually cornflakes, rice crispies etc) selection of cold meats and cheeses, fruit.

It took me approx 15 minutes, fast walking from the breakfast restaurant, through Disney Village to the main park gates. When you stay onsite, you will get a hotel easypass which gives you access to Extra Magic Hours, usually from 8 am to 10 am. Its well worth making the effort to wake up early for EMH :)

Anything else you want to know about Sequoia Lodge just ask :)

All the hotel lobbys, restaurants and bars are accessible to non hotel guests. Depending on your budget you can book a meal in the restaurants or chill out in the bar or shop in the hotel Disney shop. The main park turn-styles, which every park guest uses are under the Disneyland Hotel, so you just exit the hotel and go directly to a turn-style as normal. The suites in Disneyland Hotel have a separate elevator direct down to the main park turn-styles, so those guests can bypass the main hotel lobby area.

You will find alot of differences in food in the parks. Its very European, with many brands you may not be familiar with. For example, Plaza Gardens is a buffet style restaurant and the food served there is different to the food served in Plaza Gardens in Disneyland California. The same with the restaurants in Fantasyland, the menus in the restaurants are totally different to the restaurants in Fantasyland in Disneyland California. My advice is to fully research all the restaurants and their menus. If you want some food that you recognise as proper American, your best bet would be Planet Hollywood or Annettes in Disney Village

Its France and while English is widely spoken and understood, they like you to at least say "Bonjour" [bonndure] hello and "Au Voir" [r've war] goodbye when you enter and leave shops etc. All the ride and attraction audio's are in French, but to me that just adds to the experience. I like to call it Frenchified Disney, its an American style themepark with the social and cultural aspects and behaviours of France and central Europe. Don't be afraid of everything being in French, its the same but different :)

@ Flossbolna, Mrs S and BadPinkTink

Thank-you all SOOOO much...I think I'm just going to print this page lol

@Flossbolna

I didn't know there was a route to Strasbourg, thanks! That's going to be my route. It looks like shuttles from Strasbourg to Europa Park are 160 Euro..yikes! Do they have an Uber type app over in Europe? I don't really want to deal with bus hopping in rural Germany and risk getting lost in BFE.

Newport Bay was another one I was looking at (as well as NY); but what pushed it in Sequoia's favor was the trip advisor ratings (2nd behind Disneyland Hotel).

@Mrs S

I'm locked in, going to Europa

@BadPinkTink

I'm used to WDW (live 2 hours away) so if its SMALLER than DL (and it doesn't have a Universal) then I should have no problems hitting it all....I was just kinda worried about the lines. For example the Harry Potter attractions and 7 Dwarfs Mine train stays between 60-120 minutes over the summer; I wasn't sure if the lines get like that or how crowded the parks get over the summer (going end of June).

EMH sounds better than at WDW (since they changed it)...gonna wake up at 7a and take advantage!

Ima little worried about the food to be honest..I can't get myself to eat in Three Broomsticks lol. It sounds like there's enough American to keep me full (although I'm going to TRY and branch out a bit).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter