Disruptive child in line

Do you think that "practicing" before you go might help? Maybe talking about how you are waiting in line at the grocery store, and how you might have to do the same thing at Disney World? You might even be able to make it into a game at home and wait in line to meet stuffed Mickey and Minnie - then at least he would be a little familiar with the concept even if Disney is way more exciting!
Love this idea as a fun way to teach kids to be considerate. Looks like MamaMeggie is a great mom. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
I agree with everyone that it would not bother me to have him join the parent waiting in line but then, it doesn't bother me regardless of whether the child has a disability or not. Do what is best for your family and especially your son.

Kudos to you OP, for being mindful of other guests experiences... have you considered character meals where they come to your table and you don't have to wait in line?

But I agree with the others who said do what's best for your kid, you'll never please everyone.

Last edited:
Depending on the last time your friend went he is most likely using the DAS card which still requires a wait just not in the line. Genie Passes still exsist but can only be obtained through established wish organizations and is usually handled through Give Kids The World. There is a number you can call but they usually direct you to Guest Relations you first day to discuss a DAS.

Thank you I knew he went through something I just couldn't remember what it was .

Don't worry about what other people think. Do what you think is right and have fun.

Actually I would like to applaud the OP for considering the feelings of other guests. When doing something that has no effect on anyone else, I agree that it doesn't matter what other people think. (For example, if you want to wear clothes that are out of style.) But other guests may think the OP is cutting in line, even if that's not what's really happening. Some other guests may think the OP is unfairly impacting their own wait time. I appreciate the OP for being respectful even to people she doesn't know. Someone who goes through the parks with the attitude that only their own family matters and to heck with everyone else, can take away from the enjoyment of other guests who also dreamed of their vacation and paid to get in. Thanks to the OP for being aware of this. I liked the suggestions of previous posters to try to teach your son ahead of time by practicing waiting in line at home, and/or to maybe do some character meals or character FP+ instead of waiting in the longer lines to meet characters.

Maybe I'm one of very few people who sees it this way, but since the OP asked for opinions, I'm providing an alternative view to consider. Thanks, and have a great trip.

There's nothing wrong with a parent and toddler joining in the line with the family. That is completely understandable. What I see and annoys me is mom in line while dad and the teens are riding another attraction. Then 3 or 4 of them come excusing themselves and saying of much fun the last attraction was...now that isn't right to do. A toddler who cannot tolerate the line, not in his/her stroller, disabled or not is perfectly fine waiting elsewhere till other parent is closer to getting on.

Suggesting a character meal is fine but you are telling her to spend extra money. Not everyone going has an unlimited budget for food. Characters are in the parks and mom can get her son to see them without an added expense

Reactions: TAK

My thought is that would be disruptive to other guests and it would be more appropriate to have the other parent and kids wait elsewhere and join them at the front. I could let the people behind us know what we are doing.

Probably better would be to have just one parent and the one child who's the subject of this thread wait outside the line, while the other parent waits in line with the other children.

Please don't add any extra stress in your life worrying about such things. I have witnessed kids from 2-16 have meltdowns for many reasons. your son not processing why he can't see a character right now is perfectly normal. Heck I'm a grown man and feel that way sometimes... as a couple without kids we always offer to help ( even if that means our place in line.)

Have contacted WDW directly to find about some options the might suggest? I'd have to imagine that they deal with similar situations many times each day in every park!

I also agree that you shouldn't worry about it everyday until your trip. Your trip will be great no matter what!

I would say practice waiting in line like the other poster said, but you know your child the best!

I think it may be difficult to get the timing down to when you're at the head of the line for the character meets because they sometimes bring you in as a small group while you wait your turn watching the few groups ahead of you. Maybe WDW could time that up for you or maybe they already do that?

Somewhat is best for your child! I would not be bothered at all if he joined you when you were at the front of the line. I think most people would be fine with it. It's not like you would have a group of 10 joining you ;)

My BIL is in his 30s and has Down syndrome. I know he's a lot older then your little one but whenever something new is coming up, we all tend to give him an idea of what to expect. He does not like surprises. Perhaps you can prepare him on what to expect when he sees character meet and greets. Like PP, I would say character meals or FP for M&Gs will be helpful too. As if you should worry about others' experiences, I think they will understand if he has a meltdown.

Do what's best for your son. You could always have him enter the line for a bit and see how it goes. It he gets agitated have one of you hold your place while your son and other parent sit's away from the crowd. I haven't been yet but any kid will have a point that the line waiting is just too much. My daughter is 8 and still gets agitated when she doesn't know how long a wait is going to be. Funny thing is we tell her how long waits, or driving places is by how many SpongeBob episodes she could watch, or whatever cartoon is her current kick. Time concepts sucks when you say 30 minutes, but 1 SpongeBob episode sounds much easier.

I forgot to add that I agree with the others on the OP's thoughtfulness for other guests!

Ways to help your child cope:

Social Stories - google 'waiting in line social story' to get some ideas

Stroller as a wheelchair tag - gives a needed sensory bubble to help with waiting

Outside Meets - the rest of the party can wait in the queue while one adult takes child aside to entertain until turn.

Using FP+ and DAS combination will get you 4+ access to rides/indoor meets each day. That's a lot of Meets for any little kid, IMO. Sprinkle the meets with rides and play breaks.

My thing about character pictures, as opposed to say rides or shows, is that basically everyone in line is in groups, so if your DH needs to walk off with DS to make sure he doesn't get upset I wouldn't have a problem at all having them join you closer to your meeting time because it would probably not affect me or my waiting time. And that goes for any young child, whether disabled or not, because I know how kids can get (even I as an adult get antsy too!). As long as mom or dad are holding the line for the picture/meet and greet, I don't have any issue with it at all. Unless the CM's are closing off the line (which would happen before I even get on the line anyway), I am still going to get my turn in the order I was supposed to. That's the way I look at it.

I wanted some opinions from people who do not have kids without disabilities. My son has Down syndrome and is 3 1/2. He is going through a rough phase where he gets frustrated when he doesn't get what he wants and can't understand what we are telling him. I am afraid this will be an issue at Disney. We will get a DAS, but character greets concern me. I know they will be his favorite, but I expect he will cry in line because he won't understand why he isn't meeting them now. My thought is that would be disruptive to other guests and it would be more appropriate to have the other parent and kids wait elsewhere and join them at the front. I could let the people behind us know what we are doing.

From the perspective of a guest without a child with disabilities, what is the greater faux pas? Is it worse to have a crying child in line or to see a family joining one person at the front? I don't want to be accused of cutting in front of the other kids, but I think that would be much better than having a disruptive child during other's meet and greets. Opinions?

I wouldn't worry about it. Any 3.5 year old is impatient at times. I expect to see kids crying, whining and misbehaving at Disney. Everybody is tired, it's hot a lot of the time, someone wants a snack, etc. etc. If you need to take your DS out of line, do it. I've read lots of threads on here about parents doing this and people being (mostly) forgiving.
Me, I try not to judge other parents (especially in WDW) because I don't know what kind of things that family has going on that I can't see or don't know about. I think I'd only get annoyed if I saw a child this age acting out deliberately and the parents ignore it. I still wouldn't say anything. Do what is best for your DS and your family and don't worry about what others might think. I'm sure you know that some people are going to be rude or give a dirty look no matter the situation. I like to smile at those people :teeth:

Unless you have a lot of people with you and you intend to have your large group join a single line-stander at the last minute, there should be no need to explain anything to anybody behind you.

Character meal may not be workable for another reason (not just money), perhaps her son wouldn't be able to tolerate seeing the characters meet with other tables before they get to him, or he could get anxious about when the characters will get to him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!