Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are ready to book our stay next summer! Deciding between a few options, 1br villa (which may be hard during the day for naps with the construction noise) or a bunk bed room in the lodge. I heard the bunk rooms may be darker (and smaller?) than the other rooms - can anyone give some feedback? Oh and we would love to know if a crib can fit in the bunk bed room. Thanks!

Last edited:
We are ready to book our stay next summer! Deciding between a few options, 1br villa (which may be hard during the day for naps with the construction noise) or a bunk bed room in the lodge. I heard the bunk rooms may be darker (and smaller?) than the other rooms - can anyone give some feedback? Oh and we would love to know if a crib can fit in the bunk bed room. Thanks!
The bunk bed rooms have more floor space then a regular room since the width of the bunk bed is less than the width of a queen bed. But the dimensions of the room are the same as the other rooms, not smaller.

The rooms with the dormers and enclosed balconies are darker but if you ask for 5th floor or lower you can avoid those darker rooms.

There is room for a crib along the wall that is opposite the foot of the bunk bed.

Just returned from a wonderful stay at WL. Didn't start off too good but still love the place. We rec'd a text with our room number and that it was ready when we arrived. Upon arrival, we went to our room on the 4th floor CV. MB wouldn't work. Back to the front desk and they re-scanned the bands. Back to our room. Well, it was a king bed instead of 2 queens. Back to the front desk. Told her I needed 2 queens and she gave us room 4009. Back to the room. MB wouldn't work. Back to the front desk for re-scanning. Finally, got in the room. Great room, great view. The only thing that would have been better would have been better transportation throughout our stay.

We're here now and I've fallen in love with VWL. I actually love the feel of this entire resort. I know that most construction hasn't yet started so things will change in the fall. For now, I'm not seeing much construction other than a small area outside of Roaring Forks.

The lobby of VWL smells sooo good! And we are loving the space of a 1 bedroom.

What should I request for a standard view at WL? Would asking for a higher floor be best? Would a closed in balcony be better to block the service area below?

I just took the plunge and booked my April vacation at WL. I called to make my room only reservation just so I could have them put in my room request to be far away from the construction. The CM I spoke to didn't seem to know much about it since she had to look it up. She then told me that it looked like I wouldn't be impacted since the notice said that renovations should wrap up around Jan 2016. Then she did admit that the date is subject to change. From reading everything on the DIS, I kept stressing that I would really appreciate it if she would put the request down just in case it did run into April. Let's hope she listened and the CM assigning the rooms is kind to me!

My brain is in overloaded finalizing fast passes with dining and super secret birthday activies....Going to ft wilderness FRom wilderness lodge directly...I think there is a trail, but are there any other ways? It doesnt have to be the fastest, just from point a to point b. My husband has a bad knee, the less walking the better.

This is just my view only there is a whole thread on the construction that will take place. This given I think by talking to the Club Level IPO that the lodge part wouldn't be imparted that much but could hear noise.

We had hope to take my son , his wife & son next year if they announce the military discount again. We thought about it as son said he didn't care but I know my DIL lol. Thought about the Poly since we are paying half the cost with them paying for their air & food & tickets (though we might buy him some tickets at Christmas) This will be our only time to take our only grandson who will be almost 5 yrs to Disney before we are unable to go due to health issues. I called the IPO at the Poly Club level & I know that lady who handles the BWI as well. She told me frankly the impact shouldn't be too bad since they have broken ground due to the rains. But she told me opt for the Poly or CR since the WL might be a mess and she knew my DIL would have a fit (she heard from a CM that I know how my DIL is at times) She said only timee will come when & if the announce the military discount.

She said if we picked the WL to pick a room facing MK upper floor close to lobby and not near the construction.

I will be there this coming Sept and will look around and ask but we are only staying one night. I did get my letter for November telling me what was closed & being worked on but I am more than likely going to cancel to save money for family vacation in 2016.

My brain is in overloaded finalizing fast passes with dining and super secret birthday activies....Going to ft wilderness FRom wilderness lodge directly...I think there is a trail, but are there any other ways? It doesnt have to be the fastest, just from point a to point b. My husband has a bad knee, the less walking the better.

They have a boat that goes to Ft Wilderness, think it has a red flag on it.

:welcome: to the DIS and the WL/VWL thread! The TRANSPORTATION chapter has all the options which includes an early ADR bus that you could take or you can also take the Blue Flag boat to the CR next door and walk right to the MK. I would not recommend the monorail.

Thank you for updating everyone.

That made me laugh when I read it as "no noise is good noise."

:rotfl:
Are they like Magic Fingers?

It would only affect your view if you are in a Woods View room in the South Wing because we believe the VWL pool area will be the first resort area of impact. It's possible some work might be occurring at that time over on the shore near the North Wing rooms, but we think that will start later. Your best view choice would be a Courtyard View room.

Thank you for posting about your experience, @disneymom06.

The advantage is that all your credit card info. is already inputed prior to arrival and that's really about it. Is there another TA within the agency who can confirm your requests? Wood Nymph mentioned that the OCI requests are posted in the thread - it's in the ROOM/RATES chapter.

Have fun at SAB:)

Thank you, @woodynjessiesmomma. That sounds like a good request, but the DVC construction won't begin till 10/26.

You're welcome, @DEJ07 and welcome to the thread!

Thank you for posting a little preview of your TR and photos, @xlsm. I'm going to post a couple of your photos to the WL DVC Expansion thread:)

I've stayed in some seriously dodgy motels, but I've never once had a room with a magic fingers bed. I wonder if I just haven't gotten out enough.

I'm at that point where I'm excited, but also nervous about vacation. A friend of mine just had a week of "staycation," and she thought a lot of what made it so relaxing was the lack of work involved. Disney is definitely a lot of work. We go to Disney pretty frequently, but this will be the first trip where my youngest daughter actually understands what's going on. She's only three, but completely obsessed with the Disney princesses and meeting Minnie Mouse. She's had two surgeries this year for a congenital heart defect, so I'm looking forward to spending vacation with her where we aren't in a hospital or home recovering from surgery. My sister is flying in from California with my niece, who just turned 18 and is starting college in the fall. And my oldest daughter hasn't a clue that her cousin, whom she idolizes, will be joining us for the trip. I think the magic is worth the work. :)

I just took the plunge and booked my April vacation at WL. I called to make my room only reservation just so I could have them put in my room request to be far away from the construction. The CM I spoke to didn't seem to know much about it since she had to look it up. She then told me that it looked like I wouldn't be impacted since the notice said that renovations should wrap up around Jan 2016. Then she did admit that the date is subject to change. From reading everything on the DIS, I kept stressing that I would really appreciate it if she would put the request down just in case it did run into April. Let's hope she listened and the CM assigning the rooms is kind to me!

I have been reading construction is supposed to go into 2017. Just so you are aware.

How late does the boat return from Ft. Wilderness? Interested in checking out the Christmas lights at the Ft. Wilderness campground during our November stay. Curious as to if we can expect to return to the Lodge later in the evening via boat. :tink:

How late does the boat return from Ft. Wilderness? Interested in checking out the Christmas lights at the Ft. Wilderness campground during our November stay. Curious as to if we can expect to return to the Lodge later in the evening via boat. :tink:

From the Transportation post, post #14, of this Thread.

BLUE FLAG: The boat to the right of the dock has a blue flag, and goes to Fort Wilderness and Disney's Contemporary Resort. These boats run from 6:45 AM to 11:30 PM.

So excited.... 60 days to go ... be at Wilderness Lodge Sept 26 to Oct 3!! This will be our 3rd trip to WDW but 1st time at Wilderness Lodge! On our 1st trip we had dinner at Whispering Canyon and fell in love with the property and so excited to be able to stay here this time!eds

I have been trying to read thru this thread and lots of great information, however, I have a couple of questions. We are booked in a standard woods view room (2 queens no bulk beds) - we would like to be on a higher floor and in the room type is there a particular floor or area to possibly get a view of the fireworks. Also from what I understand best to call and make a request over the phone approximately 10 days prior... is there reason we can't request further out?

Another thing we actually arrive in Orlando Friday Sept 25 and 1st night there will be staying at Dolphin and moving to the Wilderness in the morning; any suggestions as we have breakfast reservation at Askerhaus at 9:30 am and have to go to WL before AK to get out bands activated for the dining plan. 2nd thing about this is that we have a couple of things we would like to put in a safe... does WL have a safe that isn't in the room (since we won't be able to get in a room until later in the day)?

I have been trying to read thru this thread and lots of great information, however, I have a couple of questions. We are booked in a standard woods view room (2 queens no bulk beds) - we would like to be on a higher floor and in the room type is there a particular floor or area to possibly get a view of the fireworks?

We have always found it helpful to explain what you are looking for in your requests. So I would request "higher floor" "view of fireworks".

Also from what I understand best to call and make a request over the phone approximately 10 days prior... is there reason we can't request further out?

The 10 day prior thing is something the phone CMs try to get people to do. I have no idea why. You can add your requests any time from the day you book up until 4-5 days out. I usually add my requests 7-8 months out when I book. If you try and the phone CM says you have to wait, call back. The majority of them will note your requests no problem.

Another thing we actually arrive in Orlando Friday Sept 25 and 1st night there will be staying at Dolphin and moving to the Wilderness in the morning; any suggestions as we have breakfast reservation at Askerhaus at 9:30 am and have to go to WL before AK to get out bands activated for the dining plan. 2nd thing about this is that we have a couple of things we would like to put in a safe... does WL have a safe that isn't in the room (since we won't be able to get in a room until later in the day)?

You can check in as early as 6AM. You never know, your room might be ready. Most likely not, but it's possible. We have actually had our room ready around 6:30 twice now. If you can't get into your room, Bell Services will be able to securely store any valuables for you.

We have at 7:00 am ADR at Chef's Mickey's on Friday morning. If we are at the boat dock by 6:40, will we make it over to the Contemporary in time? I see the service starts at 6:45, but wasn't sure how long it will take from WL to CR on the boat. Or would it be best just to drive our car over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter