Disney's WILDERNESS LODGE Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Have no idea why no towel animals. It was a rumor back in December when we were last here. We were still getting a few then, but not every night like we used to. By the last two days of our December trip,nothing at all, so we thought the rumor might be true. The last towel animal I saw was Monday in the Radisson bathroom! If anyone has any insight into this,please let us know because it appears to be true so far.

Okay,first- Sturdy Branches Gym is definitely open. DH and I were the only ones in there this evening. I took pictures because,after all, it's a nice gym.
Took pics on our walk to Fort Wilderness. Miss the walk near the water though. Saw deer. Didn't take long to get to FW. Saw the ponies. When we got to the dock to take the boat back,the Capt. Said NO ROOM- TAKE THE MK boat!!!! So I said,but we don't want to go there. We're on the WL line. We'll just wait for the next boat. I guess he felt bad,because a few seconds later he walked up to us and said " I made room". On the way back,I tried to get pics of the bungalows. Walls went up during the day on the restaurant. After we got off the boat,I took a picture of the sun going down and we moseyed over to the wall behind the Trout Pass bar. DH was lifting me up to take pictures over the fence when a lifeguard said to stop. I said I wasn't on the fence,just trying to take pictures over the fence, but we still got smacked down. So I tried to take a few pictures through a space and through the material. I could see tables and chairs set up in what looks like will be a covered outdoor area of the restaurant. I did try to get pictures of the other side from the boat,but there is now black plastic along the whole length of the waters edge,so all I could see was the top of dirt hills. Saw a line of ducks that had come out of the pool looking for food by the back steps. We went in the pool for the first time today. Only took 4 trips. There were ducks in the pool with us. Very cute. I can not upload a certain number of files. Gotta go to another post for the duck picture.image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg Okay,another gym picture,ducks and dessert in the OFC. Kirk arrived with cobbler after I took the pic. I tried to get some views of the lake from the Club,but it's hard shooting thru a window. Fire codes state we can't go out on the balcony,so I'm told.image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Thank you for posting the wonderful pictures. I love how you got caught taking pictures. That happened to me, too. ;) I love the ponies and the deer and your construction photos. After a whole lot of earth moving it seems like they are finally getting some where with the building construction. The view from the temporary lounge looks lovely.

The view from the water really looks different now with all those buildings near the water. The view from the villas building will really look different.

Absolutely my pleasure!!!!! I love taking pictures. I get made fun of by friends and family for always having a camera in my hand.....until they ask me for copies.
We just returned to our room after watching the Wishes fireworks. If you walk past the OFC to the end of the hallway,you can open up the wood shutters on the windows and get a perfect view of the fireworks.
I also have been trying to post the Electric Water Parade,which I filmed last night,but it won't upload to the comment box. Possibly, a 5 minute video might be too much to post. It compresses,but won't go that one more step of posting. I'm open to suggestion.....

We check in on Saturday :thumbsup2 DH got a call yesterday from Guest Services regarding "our upcoming stay at WL and the refurb currently going on", and they were calling specifically to see if we had any questions relating to the refurb. We're fine, but I thought it was pretty cool that they called. We've stayed at AKL, Poly, and the BWV during refurbs and have never received a call, just the standard letter. The woman (Amanda) was very friendly; just though it was a nice touch :)

That is good of them to call. Of course, if you weren't "in the know," it might be hard to come up with more meaningful questions for them. If they don't tell you a list of everything that's closed, then as a newcomer, who isn't on the boards or hasn't seen photos and read reviews, you might have no idea to ask about that kind of thing, especially if you didn't know they exisited. But, I assume booked guests also got the letter which lists all the closures and the phone call is just an extra courtesy.

Back at the Lodge for June 2017! We had a meal at Whispering Canyon with the kids in March and they fell in love with the place like my spouse and I did for our anniversary trip, so Eldest and I will be there from 6/12 to 6/20 in a standard view and are really, really looking forward to it! I'm hoping to have more time to explore the resort than I did last September. Even with the ongoing work!

You will have a lot of time to explore and don't forget to explore FW, too. I'll log your dates, @Anesthesia Fine.

View attachment 189833 I didn't put that comment in bolded letters. I have no idea why it looks like that. Two CM's told me that the new OFC would be located at the old one. I just shrugged and said okay because I know how things can turn on a second here,so we'll see what happens.
Today,someone at the front desk told DH that the gym was open. He didn't check on that, but I will and get back to you.

We're going to Trails End for dinner,so I'll bring my mini IPad to take pics,if I can see anything.
We took the boat to MK,to spend a few hours,and saw the " coastline" on the way out and the other side on the way back. Looking back at the Lodge,to the left,the restaurant and bungalows are still mostly in the stud stage. To the right,there are about 5 things lined up on the ground,along the waters edge. They look like thatched roofs.no buildings yet,still lots of dirt and those thatched things.

It doesn't come out well in pics,but the rooms across from us are all gutted. There are workers in every room every day. There is no noise coming from there. Can't tell from my room if any walls are coming down to enlarge some rooms.

I have a 5 minute video that I'm having trouble downloading. It compresses fine,but doesn't upload into the comment area. Is 5 minutes too much?
Two pics- since they can't give us towel animals anymore,there seems to be an end run going on- we got a bouquet and a bow!View attachment 189832

When I replied to your comment I bolded it for emphasis. Also, I sent you a PM yesterday.

Since the South Wing is closed, some of us assumed the entire South Wing would convert to DVC or at least part of it and the new lounge would be in the North Wing. If the new lounge ends up located in its former area, including the two honeymoon suites, then that changes the suppositions a bit.

This could mean that the South Wing CL rooms could end up like Jambo where they have DVC CL suites mixed in with non-DVC standard CL rooms or they will totally reconfigure the floor for mixed use. However, that could be problematic seeing that the mid-Lodge elevators are located there. If the new and improved lounge ends up there, then I'm not sure how they could have both DVC and CL guests using the same elevator to the same floor unless the DVC becomes CL like Jambo. There is another elevator at the very end of the wing though so perhaps that could be used for DVC. But the more I think out loud here, it just doesn't seem like mixing DVC and non-DVC is feasible up there.

If the new lounge is in the South Wing, then it's looking like those South Wing rooms might revert back to CL rooms and the Presidential Suite should re-open. This holds great promise for our favorite room, 7127, being available after all the South Wing work is completed. Even if none of the 7th floor rooms convert to DVC, I suspect they will take those out of inventory until all the South Wing conversion work is done.

Okay,first- Sturdy Branches Gym is definitely open. DH and I were the only ones in there this evening. I took pictures because,after all, it's a nice gym.

Took pics on our walk to Fort Wilderness. Miss the walk near the water though. Saw deer. Didn't take long to get to FW. Saw the ponies. When we got to the dock to take the boat back,the Capt. Said NO ROOM- TAKE THE MK boat!!!! So I said,but we don't want to go there. We're on the WL line. We'll just wait for the next boat. I guess he felt bad,because a few seconds later he walked up to us and said " I made room".

On the way back,I tried to get pics of the bungalows. Walls went up during the day on the restaurant. After we got off the boat,I took a picture of the sun going down and we moseyed over to the wall behind the Trout Pass bar. DH was lifting me up to take pictures over the fence when a lifeguard said to stop. I said I wasn't on the fence,just trying to take pictures over the fence, but we still got smacked down. So I tried to take a few pictures through a space and through the material. I could see tables and chairs set up in what looks like will be a covered outdoor area of the restaurant. I did try to get pictures of the other side from the boat,but there is now black plastic along the whole length of the waters edge,so all I could see was the top of dirt hills. Saw a line of ducks that had come out of the pool looking for food by the back steps. We went in the pool for the first time today. Only took 4 trips. There were ducks in the pool with us. Very cute. I can not upload a certain number of files. Gotta go to another post for the duck picture.View attachment 189884View attachment 189887

Excellent detective work Nancy Drew! Thank you for all your photos. They must have delayed the closure of Sturdy Branches. All the online sources who report on rehabs and closures all have Sturdy Branches closed from sometime in July to October. That was a major reason I didn't book it, I go to the gym every morning. It's my favorite Deluxe gym and I'll miss it on my upcoming trip.

Just came back from our first stay at wilderness Lodge.
We stood in room 5059 for a week which is a courtview bunk room. Room was situated about 2-3 rooms away from the corner overlooking the outside wooden deck leading into the lobby..great view and buffered the noise from the pool.
As for construction noise barley noticeable through most of our stay. You can see the crew working in the rooms adjacent to ours, hanging around the pool and the gates are up behind the pool bar but again nothing distracting..only time I could hear the crew is when we walked to the bus stop and could see the work being done.
Roaring forks was a let down for me..he flatbed pizza was just ok, some of the sandwich was good..tuna probably best. Having the hotel half empty was a major treat for us, busses was often quick with the exception when road construction started around contemporary which shared a bus to HS. It took a good 35min wait for the bus to show. HS was a little overwhelmed with star wars everywhere, kids where saddened that the honey I shrunk the kids set was gone.
MK was busy everyday seemed we couldn't get any breathing space..Blackish was filming on our last day and saw the crew..didn't seem to distrupt much of anything..major perk was the crane was dropped for the entire day which allowed more photo times at the castle!!
I'll try and post some photos later of WL

Just finished decorating my magicband.

XZ0yFGB.jpg

ZuCpsog.jpg

I could only imagine the magicbands Disney would've pumped out if they were around for Epcot's 30th.

image.jpg image.jpg Hey Kook, I PMed you back.
So, there I was at the window,having moved something aside to get to the window( any more info on that and if they read these,they'll figure out who I am),taking pics of the construction,when I got flying tackled by a " suit" who did not want me to take any pictures. So I said okay ( because I already got A picture before she stopped me). I got one pic,then I snuck back a little while later for the second pic,so the crane was already gone.So here they are,facing the MK....

Oh,one more thing. While having some pulled pork and curried chicken salad this evening in the lounge ( both items were ahhhmaazzzing), someone asked one of the CM's why the other wing was closed off. It was their first visit to WL and their first day here. The CM told her that the rooms were getting tired looking and they were only closed for refurbishment. That they were being gutted completely because they needed everything new,rugs,paint,furniture,etc. No mention of DVC.......
Sooooooo, now that just adds to the confusion.........

Oh,one more thing. While having some pulled pork and curried chicken salad this evening in the lounge ( both items were ahhhmaazzzing), someone asked one of the CM's why the other wing was closed off. It was their first visit to WL and their first day here. The CM told her that the rooms were getting tired looking and they were only closed for refurbishment. That they were being gutted completely because they needed everything new,rugs,paint,furniture,etc. No mention of DVC.......
Sooooooo, now that just adds to the confusion.........

I'd suspect they are just tightening up on what the CM's say. They really aren't supposed to discuss until paperwork is complete. It's like when BLT was being built. If you asked if that building was going to be DVC they'd respond with "what building?". :goodvibes

View attachment 190121 View attachment 190122 Hey Kook, I PMed you back.
So, there I was at the window,having moved something aside to get to the window( any more info on that and if they read these,they'll figure out who I am),taking pics of the construction,when I got flying tackled by a " suit" who did not want me to take any pictures. So I said okay ( because I already got A picture before she stopped me). I got one pic,then I snuck back a little while later for the second pic,so the crane was already gone.So here they are,facing the MK....
I'm curious, why do they not want visitors taking pictures of the construction?

Last edited:
I'm curious, why do they not what visitors taking pictures of the construction?
I suspect it's because it ruins the fantasy atmosphere they try to project. They'll admit to some construction going on,but won't linger on the subject. It's as if they want us only to see the completed project,as if it just sprang up overnight. There are probably other reasons,maybe business/ corporate based also.
They also have stopped Flag Family and will actually say " until construction is over". So they do use the word construction,but seeing it is another thing altogether. I suppose they could site safety issues for no Flag Family,,but the stairs for the roof isn't on the south wing side. I'm wondering if it's because they just don't want anyone seeing the construction in progress.....

I suspect it's because it ruins the fantasy atmosphere they try to project. They'll admit to some construction going on,but won't linger on the subject. It's as if they want us only to see the completed project,as if it just sprang up overnight. There are probably other reasons,maybe business/ corporate based also.
They also have stopped Flag Family and will actually say " until construction is over". So they do use the word construction,but seeing it is another thing altogether. I suppose they could site safety issues for no Flag Family,,but the stairs for the roof isn't on the south wing side. I'm wondering if it's because they just don't want anyone seeing the construction in progress.....

Thank you so much for your live reports and all your wonderful photos!! You are going above and beyond for all of us who love the lodge.

I read on the Disney website that the Marina may be closed due to construction. I was wondering if transportation via boat/ferry to Fort Wilderness was also impacted by the construction. I'd like to visit to see the decorations during the holidays.

I bet that is the reason. Imagine the great pics you could get from up there.

I read on the Disney website that the Marina may be closed due to construction. I was wondering if transportation via boat/ferry to Fort Wilderness was also impacted by the construction. I'd like to visit to see the decorations during the holidays.

The Marina is closed but the dock for the boat transportation is open and I can't see any reason it would have to close nor have I seen it ever mentioned as a possibility for closure. You should be good to go!

The Marina is closed but the dock for the boat transportation is open and I can't see any reason it would have to close nor have I seen it ever mentioned as a possibility for closure. You should be good to go!

For those unfamiliar, the marina and the boat dock are not really near each other. It is two completely separate locations. I agree with KAT4DISNEY, very unlikely the boat dock for the ferries would be impacted by the construction.

No, Disney does not use scents in the rooms. Something from cleaning products should be the only possibility.

No, Disney does not use scents in the rooms. Something from cleaning products should be the only possibility.

There were scented products in my room (main building not villas) in 2013- behind the tv from what we think was a plug in. But, I get migraines from odors and I didn't have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter