Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Yes, it appears that the titles for all the resort FAQ's have been changed again. .....and the thread were people were voicing their concerns about all of the changes has been deleted. So members who were just voicing their concerns have now been silenced.

To be fair on them, I did receive an apology message from one of the Admin staff (not just a moderator) saying that they regretted that this had happened and they were working to revert the changes immediately, which is a refreshingly honest and positive attitude from the site. Deleting the entire critical thread was a bit more along the lines I'd normally expect, but again being fair I guess it no longer served any useful purpose for them once the issue had been acknowledged and rectified. She said it was not their intent to upset anyone or to make people feel as though contributions here on The DIS were not valued, they simply "want to make your threads stand out".

I'm still somewhat concerned as to how hiding all of the detailed Information/Q&A Threads away in a nondescript "Community" sub-board helps with that latter goal though, but that's a different battle and one that has already been raised in http://www.disboards.com/threads/would-it-be-possible-to-change-the-name-of-this-sub-board.3437528/ so if you'd like to contribute to that discussion, please do feel free to comment there.

So now, I suspect it's about time to get back to our regularly scheduled Port Orleans focussed discussions here, assuming people ever find us again. :)

Andre

To be fair on them, I did receive an apology message from one of the Admin staff (not just a moderator) saying that they regretted that this had happened and they were working to revert the changes immediately, which is a refreshingly honest and positive attitude from the site. Deleting the entire critical thread was a bit more along the lines I'd normally expect, but again being fair I guess it no longer served any useful purpose for them once the issue had been acknowledged and rectified. She said it was not their intent to upset anyone or to make people feel as though contributions here on The DIS were not valued, they simply "want to make your threads stand out".Andre

Good info to know!

So now, I suspect it's about time to get back to our regularly scheduled Port Orleans focussed discussions here, assuming people ever find us again. :)

Andre

Almost two more weeks until my next trip to Port Orleans Riverside!

So after some back and forth over staying at PORS with a possible looming pool closure during our stay, we've decided to take our chances with the savings that the PSD special gave us over Caribbean Beach and stay at PORS for our fourth time. My question is about Riverview Rooms. We normally book preferred rooms but the special required us to book Riverview rooms. We also have 5 in a room so we know we'll be in Alligator Bayou. Does that mean we have to be in Building 38 because 14 and 27 are preferred buildings. Is there a separate category of Riverview-Preferred rooms for 14 and 27 or are all Rivereview rooms the same?

Does that mean we have to be in Building 38 because 14 and 27 are preferred buildings.

It's a bit tricky, buildings 14 and 27 are not actually preferred buildings per se, they are just two out of the four Alligator Bayou buildings which contain mostly Preferred Location category rooms (shown in yellow below). The River View rooms in 14 and 27 (shown in blue below) are only available to guests who have paid for River Views category rooms. The same applies to the Pool View rooms in building 18, and the King Bed rooms (purple) in any of the four closest buildings. (King Bed trumps river view by the way, as you'll see from room 2728 below)

Floorplan-POR-AlligatorBayou-14.png

Floorplan-POR-AlligatorBayou-27.png

Andre

It's a bit tricky, buildings 14 and 27 are not actually preferred buildings per se, they are just two out of the four Alligator Bayou buildings which contain mostly Preferred Location category rooms (shown in yellow below). The River View rooms in 14 and 27 (shown in blue below) are only available to guests who have paid for River Views category rooms. The same applies to the Pool View rooms in building 18, and the King Bed rooms (purple) in any of the four closest buildings. (King Bed trumps river view by the way, as you'll see from room 2728 below)

Andre

So, in theory, if I paid for a preferred location, I can request a room close to the river, but it is probably not likely I'll get it.

Andre
That's what I thought after I looked at the maps, but when I looked at the room-views drop down menu on Touring Plans it had a separate category for Riverview vs. Riverview-Preferred. Thanks for clearing that up.

We're about 2 months away from our first stay at POR. I have a few questions...

1. The boat to downtown disney, about how long does it take to get from POR to downtown disney? We rent a car but with all the construction going on I'm thinking maybe it would be better to take the boat.

2. Has anyone been able to upgrade their room at check-in? We have a standard room booked (via travel agent special) but would love to stay in either a royal room or a preferred room. I'd pay the difference obviously. Not a big deal but it would be an awesome surprise for my daughter to get a royal room.

3. How good is POR about granting room requests?

I can't wait, super excited to stay here!

So, in theory, if I paid for a preferred location, I can request a room close to the river, but it is probably not likely I'll get it.

If you paid for Preferred Location then you officially should get any of the yellow rooms in buildings 14, 15, 18 or 27 on my maps. If you get one of the blue rooms then you've technically been given a category upgrade.

Andre

1. The boat to downtown disney, about how long does it take to get from POR to downtown disney? We rent a car but with all the construction going on I'm thinking maybe it would be better to take the boat.

2. Has anyone been able to upgrade their room at check-in? We have a standard room booked (via travel agent special) but would love to stay in either a royal room or a preferred room. I'd pay the difference obviously. Not a big deal but it would be an awesome surprise for my daughter to get a royal room.

The boat to Disney Springs takes about 20 minutes from POR. Before 5pm you'll stop at POFQ en route, after 5pm it's a direct service.

You can ask about upgrading your room when you get to the front desk sure, and if there's spare capacity you might even get it. However I'd suggest sending a fax 3-5 before arrival though, explaining that your TA could only book the one category and saying that if anything in the Royal buildings has become available in the meantime then your family would really love the extra magic and you'd be perfectly happy to pay the difference. What have you got to lose?

Andre

If you paid for Preferred Location then you officially should get any of the yellow rooms in buildings 14, 15, 18 or 27 on my maps. If you get one of the blue rooms then you've technically been given a category upgrade.

Andre

That is what I figured. It was more important that I be guaranteed a location close to the main building, so that is what I chose. It can't hurt to ask! I'll give it a shot, for at least "as close to the river as possible." I guess if you choose river view and then you get put in one of those preferred buildings, you are double lucky!

We'll be staying at POR in a Garden View room for the first time in March 2016.
Trying to figure out a room request and my main concerns are close to main building, near best bus stop (is this South? It's hard to tell from what I'm reading). Near quiet pool would be nice since I'll do laundry a time or two.
I was thinking 85 near the bridge to pool or AB 16. What would be best way to word a request?
Does faxing help even if your TA adds a request? Seems strange that they don't have an email for this instead?
Also, can you get mug refills at the pool? Looks like no, so only at the main building?
Looking forward to trying a new resort!

near best bus stop (is this South? It's hard to tell from what I'm reading).

Have you looked at this page:
http://www.portorleans.org/buses.php
The bus stops are picked up in a different order depending on the park that it is going to. While this can change, currently, South is picked up last before going to MK, but second (after POFQ) when going to Epcot and DHS.

Yes, thanks, I read that. But someone who was there in Sept said south was picked up last for every park. They said bus was never full but I don't know if that would be the case in March.

Trying to figure out a room request and my main concerns are close to main building, near best bus stop (is this South? It's hard to tell from what I'm reading). Near quiet pool would be nice since I'll do laundry a time or two.
I was thinking 85 near the bridge to pool or AB 16. What would be best way to word a request?
Does faxing help even if your TA adds a request? Seems strange that they don't have an email for this instead?
Also, can you get mug refills at the pool? Looks like no, so only at the main building?
Looking forward to trying a new resort!

I would just ask for what I highlighted, although I don't know (and I doubt if they would know) what you mean by the best bus stop. If you mean the one by the main building, then that's the South depot, so really you would only need to ask for close to main building. As far as I know, mug refills are only available at the food court.

Any recommendations for the lowest price room without a horribly long walk to the food court & bus stop?

I've got a royal room, garden view booked. I see that it is a good idea to request being close to the foot bridge but which of the 2 buildings are better?

Just want to say we are here now and are having terrible luck with bus service! Waited over 45 minutes for a bus to the Magic Kingodm yesterday while 2 or 3 buses to every other park passed us by. We are now at Epcot and have been waiting almost a half hour. A bus came about 10 minutes ago labeled just port Orleans (almost empty) pulled to the animal kingdom lodge stop next to ours then told us he would only take guests to French Quarter, even though our stop is labeled for both resorts. I like the rooms and such at our resort but am considering changing my next stay to somewhere different. Is it consistantly like this?

Just want to say we are here now and are having terrible luck with bus service! Waited over 45 minutes for a bus to the Magic Kingodm yesterday while 2 or 3 buses to every other park passed us by. We are now at Epcot and have been waiting almost a half hour. A bus came about 10 minutes ago labeled just port Orleans (almost empty) pulled to the animal kingdom lodge stop next to ours then told us he would only take guests to French Quarter, even though our stop is labeled for both resorts. I like the rooms and such at our resort but am considering changing my next stay to somewhere different. Is it consistantly like this?

No it is not. I've never had trouble with buses, and I've been staying there for years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter