Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

FYI (I hope you don't mind me posting this Andre) for those of you traveling home on 2 different airlines, don't pay Bags, the phone # on your leaving DME letter!! You won't be able to check in or check your luggage at Resort Airline desk!!! Must check in at airport.

I didn't know, so paid Bags on phone the night before, then in morning went to Airline check in at resort with luggage only to be told I couldn't check in because of using 2 airlines (U.S. air & Alaska). Went to airport lugging my stuff, and had to pay luggage fee again ugh. When I got home I phoned DME who gave me Bags # so I could get refunded.
I never knew any of this. I was so happy Canadians could finally use resort check in, but still haven't tried it out. Fortunately in August I'm just flying Alaska so will see then!!

I will always go to the desk. Multiple times I have talked the CM into the building I listed as my preference even if they assigned me somewhere else. I think they thought they were giving me a better selection but I like what I like! Also use phone only for brief phone calls....not fond of or used to this app stuff. Hey, I had my old rotary phone up until a handful of years ago!

I called WDW and the CM I spoke with said as long as the tags had the right resort and date on it it was fine and the bar code was not linked to the res.

That part is totally wrong. The bar code is what contains the information about your reservation. I agree with Sue M - call DME, not WDW.

We just got back from POR Wednesday and I must say, the room location, CM's and food (if you don't count the cardboard supposed Angus hamburgers) were incredible. If you get the create your own pasta, they give you enough with one order to feed 2-3 people. We are not light eaters, so that's saying something. I would return to this resort without hesitation.

Which building were you in? Trying to decide which building I'd like to request when I fax in a request. (If I do so at all -- have never done anything like that before)

I am posting this here and also as a separate thread in hopes of getting some advice. We had originally booked Feb 13-17 and on a whim last weekend decided to add a day to the trip. Our current trip couldn't be modified thru the travel agent at the discount we had. But we were able to book the additional one night (the first day of our trip now) on Orbitz. My question is this- Since we will check in initially thru our Orbitz reservation, then the next day our travel agent reservation (separate reservation number) begins...will they let us keep the same room? Should I do anything in advance besides online check in to see if this can be managed? Thanks for any advice!!

I am posting this here and also as a separate thread in hopes of getting some advice. We had originally booked Feb 13-17 and on a whim last weekend decided to add a day to the trip. Our current trip couldn't be modified thru the travel agent at the discount we had. But we were able to book the additional one night (the first day of our trip now) on Orbitz. My question is this- Since we will check in initially thru our Orbitz reservation, then the next day our travel agent reservation (separate reservation number) begins...will they let us keep the same room? Should I do anything in advance besides online check in to see if this can be managed? Thanks for any advice!!

The best thing to do is call the main reservations line and have them link your 2 reservations together. Then add a request to keep the same room. When checking in reiterate this to the CM. We've had great success in the past with this. Even if you keep the same room, you will have to go down and check out of reservation #1 and check in to reservation #2.

Ok super! I will call and ask. How will this all work if we did online check in and you can bypass all of that now?

I'm not sure if it bypasses after on line check in. And also don't think of you used a travel agent that you can phone yourself with requests. Generally your TA has to do it.
But.....around 5 days before arrival I would fax the resort (refer to Venomhatch's fax thread) and give them both reservation #s explain its a continuing stay and ask if you can remain in the same room. They really do look at your fax. ️POR room assignors are great.
Also at check in ask if you are in same room.

image.jpg
Which building were you in? Trying to decide which building I'd like to request when I fax in a request. (If I do so at all -- have never done anything like that before)
Building 18 which is preferred room (we paid for garden). We got a Murphy bed room for the first time even though it was just DH and I. The room seemed bigger with the TV mounted on the wall. Room 1809. about even distance between room and food court and room and South bus stop. The picture only shows one of the two queen beds.
image.jpg image.jpg

For those people who were following the limited tests that took place last year, you may be pleased to know that the 'Direct to Room' checkin service will now become a permanent feature at the Port Orleans resorts starting from next week, Tuesday 10 February, and soon after then at the other Disney resorts.

It still won't be compulsory of course - you can always head over to the Front Desk when you arrive if you prefer, or if you need something specific - but assuming you've already received your Magic Bands in the post and have completed the necessary online process, it will be possible to have your resort room number communicated to you by email and/or text message shortly before your arrival. You will then be able to completely bypass the whole traditional registration process and go straight to your room with your Magic Band already activated and ready for use to get you into your room, pay for dining, use your ticketed admissions into the theme parks, access FastPass+, etc.

While this won't appeal to everyone - especially for those first-time visitors who may not know their way around the resort yet - for returning guests who just want to get to Disney and head straight off to a park, it could be a real time-saver.

Andre

I am assuming you have to do online check in to utilize this. What happens if the room isn't ready when you arrive or the previous guests haven't left the room?

I am assuming you have to do online check in to utilize this. What happens if the room isn't ready when you arrive or the previous guests haven't left the room?

Yes, you would need to have done Online Checkin, and also pre-registered your payment card via your My Disney Experience system for billing purposes, and have received your Magic Bands in advance - so currently not an option for international guests for example.

You won't be notified of your final room number until is has been vacated by any previous guests, cleaned, and is actually ready for you to enter. This happens anyway with Online Checkin at the moment, but the difference here is that you will be sent your room number directly, and your Magic Band will be activated at that point, rather than needing to do it at the front desk.

I assume this also means that once you've been notified that your reservation and magic band have been activated, you could actually go directly to a park if you wish, and your tickets and dining plans etc. would work without you going to the hotel first.

This is all optional of course, you can still go to the front desk at any point and ask to be moved, even after you've been notified of a room number.

Andre

Another little change, there are now towels available at all of the quiet pools too, not just at the Ol' Man Island pool. That'll be handy. :thumbsup2

Andre

I didn't know this wasn't an option before or I would have reported back. We had towels at the Alligator Bayou quiet pool by the preferred section when we were there early January! It was great.

I am so excited for this thread! It has given me so much helpful info that even though our trip is still 2 years away, we will be staying at POR!

So happy to hear they've put towels at the quiet pools! This will save so much vacation time - not having to walk over to the main pool for towels! Yay!

We are staying at POR for our first visit in few weeks. I was thinking of faxing a request after reading through the forums. I was planning to ask for an upper level room in Oak Manor (we have booked a pool view Royal Room). A few questions I can't seem to find and answer to while combing through the threads though I'm sure they're here somewhere!

Do you think it is important to ask for non-adjoining rooms if you don't need them. I'm assuming a good number of guests will be requesting them and if by chance we were assigned one, it is still quiet. I keep reading about how peaceful POR is!! Also, are the quiet pools truly pretty quiet at night? I know that might be a silly question, but I'm a light sleeper and now I'm a little worried.

We do have a great TA, but I was thinking I'd send the fax. I wouldn't ask her to put requests too! As we get closer I focus on all the little details...I'm happy to hear about the towels at the quiet pools!

Do you think it is important to ask for non-adjoining rooms if you don't need them. I'm a light sleeper

Last August we had a connecting room in AB with friends of ours ( both families have teenagers ) , and when the connecting doors were closed at night we did not hear a peep! :-)

Do you think it is important to ask for non-adjoining rooms if you don't need them. I'm assuming a good number of guests will be requesting them and if by chance we were assigned one, it is still quiet. I keep reading about how peaceful POR is!! Also, are the quiet pools truly pretty quiet at night? I know that might be a silly question, but I'm a light sleeper and now I'm a little worried.

We do have a great TA, but I was thinking I'd send the fax. I wouldn't ask her to put requests too! As we get closer I focus on all the little details...I'm happy to hear about the towels at the quiet pools!

We just returned from POR yesterday and loved it. We had a quiet pool view room on the second floor in the mansion section. The quiet pool was indeed quiet with the exception of one night, a group of cheerleaders had arrived and were in the pool at 11. But I suspect they got called out on it or hit their curfew time because they weren't there much later. Other than that, the entire stay we didn't hear a peep from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter