• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Two years ago (has it really been that long?) switched from SOG to POR at about 8:00 am and our room was ready. I think that it's possible if they know you are coming that early.

Good to know! I know I put that in my online check in and said that getting our room early was the most important thing to us, so I'm hoping for the best.

I've been reading this board for months, as my 7 year old daughter and I are arriving at POR on Monday morning! So excited. We have a royal room booked with a garden view. I think I figured out that we would likely be in building 90 or 95. Is that correct? Also, we our flight gets in really early- 6:30 I believe. I put that getting to our room early was most important, but how likely do you think it is that we will actually get in super early? I brought swim suits in our carry on to tide us over until we can go in and rest! Thanks!
We always get in early, sometimes our room is ready, sometimes not. But then, I don't check the box about ready room. To me location is more important than getting in room early and I'm willing to wait for what I want.
We just go to a park after check in.

If you're room isn't ready there is a nice change room by main pool. And you can go to the food court for breakfast, and then walk around to familiarize yourselves with the resort.

In the past we have stayed at the Yacht Club three times and OKW twice. Having been to look around POR and POFQ I have decided to give this a try, in the main because Disney is becoming very expensive for us Brits, as we tend to stay for 2 weeks.

I have drooled over all of the photos and read lots of comments. I have decided on POR and booked a pool view room. Now I need to decide between the Alligator bit or the Mansions. Any guidance greatly appreciated. Not going until next year in August so plenty of time to put my building request in.

We always get in early, sometimes our room is ready, sometimes not. But then, I don't check the box about ready room. To me location is more important than getting in room early and I'm willing to wait for what I want.
We just go to a park after check in.

If you're room isn't ready there is a nice change room by main pool. And you can go to the food court for breakfast, and then walk around to familiarize yourselves with the resort.

The last part of your message is totally my plan. I had thought about going ahead and going to a park, but we have an overnight flight, and I have a feeling we will be dragging a bit, so that might be rough. We haven't stayed here before, so I don't really know enough to have a preference for location, hence the reason I chose the getting the room early is most important. I'm sure once I've had the chance to look around I'll have more of an opinion on where to stay next time.

The last part of your message is totally my plan. I had thought about going ahead and going to a park, but we have an overnight flight, and I have a feeling we will be dragging a bit, so that might be rough. We haven't stayed here before, so I don't really know enough to have a preference for location, hence the reason I chose the getting the room early is most important. I'm sure once I've had the chance to look around I'll have more of an opinion on where to stay next time.
We love the mansions. Hopefully you'll get a room close to the foot bridge. If you booked pool view you will. Very nice locations. And the quiet pool is very nice to hang out in. You'll need to get towels from main pool.

Made last minute reservation for this Wednesday - DD starts her new job so I'm coming for "mommy support"! Usually stay at POFQ but Riverside had better priced availability this time. It says "Royal Room - Garden View". I did online check in, requesting first floor, but room ready as preference. Which buildings might we be in? Thanks!

Can someone refresh my memory....does the gift shop sell loaves of bread? I remember I found loaves in the Wilderness Lodge gift shop, but I can't remember about Riverside's gift shop. Thanks in advance......I've got a kid who still likes an occasional PB sandwich.

I know that we have bought bread in the POFQ gift shop before (a lovely 10 minute walk from PORS). Once (@ Pop) we asked in the quick service food court for a loaf of bread (rather than just a couple of slices) and they sold us a whole loaf. Just wanted to mention in case you run out of options, to try the food court. A tip I read somewhere on the Dis was to freeze a loaf of bread and put in a shoe box! I haven't tried it, but thought it was a great idea:-) We always pack bagels and PB for our kids (all the great things to eat at Disney and they want PB :confused3 lol).

Made last minute reservation for this Wednesday - DD starts her new job so I'm coming for "mommy support"! Usually stay at POFQ but Riverside had better priced availability this time. It says "Royal Room - Garden View". I did online check in, requesting first floor, but room ready as preference. Which buildings might we be in? Thanks!

There are only two buildings that have Royal rooms - Oak Manor and Parterre Place.

I've been reading this board for months, as my 7 year old daughter and I are arriving at POR on Monday morning! So excited. We have a royal room booked with a garden view. I think I figured out that we would likely be in building 90 or 95. Is that correct? Also, we our flight gets in really early- 6:30 I believe. I put that getting to our room early was most important, but how likely do you think it is that we will actually get in super early? I brought swim suits in our carry on to tide us over until we can go in and rest! Thanks!

We moved from AoA to Riverside once at 7:30 am as we had early breakfast reservations and they found us a room, but we took the first available. We were in AB and my husband complained about no elevator and having to carry our luggage up. But he didn't want to have it transferred over...LOL! Either way, I'm sure they'll have it ready soon for you and you'll be able to enjoy breakfast and the pool. Or you can take the boat over to Disney Springs once it starts running.

In the past we have stayed at the Yacht Club three times and OKW twice. Having been to look around POR and POFQ I have decided to give this a try, in the main because Disney is becoming very expensive for us Brits, as we tend to stay for 2 weeks.

I have drooled over all of the photos and read lots of comments. I have decided on POR and booked a pool view room. Now I need to decide between the Alligator bit or the Mansions. Any guidance greatly appreciated. Not going until next year in August so plenty of time to put my building request in.
Checkout the room map on www.portorleans.org. It shows what rooms are pool views. Two of the mansions are Royal Rooms so most likely you won't be in those buildings. Just a FYI Alligator does not have elevators.

Is the main dining hall the only place to fill up refillable mugs? Or will the pool bar do so as well?

101 days til we check-in! I sure hope time starts speeding up because I am getting antsy! Patiently waiting to see if any Passholder RO discounts come out for when we are there. First time at POR and splurged for a Royal Room! Not sure who will love it more, me or my dd7 princess:

"Did not get any of my requests, which were high floor, corner room, AB section, standard view."

That is a lot of requests. I'm not quite surprised. You will love it over there though. When we do a request we pick one and always get it. Plus pixie Dust occasionally.
I actually got my requests is really how I should have stated it. But the rooms were not ready and would not be for quite some time, so I opted for what they had.

Sorry for the confusing post!

We have always loved Port Orleans. Unfortunately, June was our last trip to Port Orleans and we probably won't be back at this wonderful resort again. We fell for the DVC pitch and bought into the Polynesian. My only regret to purchasing into the DVC membership is that it takes Port Orleans away from us. Anyhow, it's been fun and there will always be a special place in my heart for Port Orleans along with fantastic memories from night swimming at Ol Man Island.

Last edited:
Just got home today from a five day stay. Sorry I didn't see you AndreWilley!

I enjoyed my stay. I traveled solo this time (not my cup of tea), as part of the DIS 10th Anniversary Event. I knew I would be meeting people and have my plate full, so the solo travel wasn't too big of a deal.

My room was nice (Mansion Terrace). I always stay deluxe but I adore Port Orleans, so a moderate isn't an issue for me (honestly, no onsite resort is an issue :thumbsup2 ). The beds could have been a little more comfortable.

My room, 8517, was standard view and right next to the quiet pool, very convenient. My car was parked right outside. I was not too far from the lobby and food area. But sometimes I would drive around to the food court and that was just as easy, too. Never had trouble finding a place to park, ever.

My only real complaint was that I wish there were more choices on the menus at the food court, but I managed. There are worse problems in life.

All in all, it was a wonderful stay. I love this resort. Already planning my next trip. Of course. ::yes::

Last edited:
Arriving in 17 days! Question for someone who is there now. I saw a post on another site showing roof construction is still going on at the Mansions. Can someone please tell me if that is correct... or hopefully, that it's not and the construction is finished.

We have always loved Port Orleans. Unfortunately, June was our last trip to Port Orleans and we probably won't be back at this wonderful resort again. We fell for the DVC pich and bought into the Polynesian. My only regret to purchasing into the DVC membership is that it takes Port Orleans away from us. Anyhow, it's been fun and there will always be a special place in my heart for Port Orleans along with fantastic memories from night swimming at Ol Man Island.

We are in the same boat....We bought at Boardwalk and LOVE our DVC points! But we can't stay away and will be using our points at Boardwalk and will also do a split stay for two days here at Riverside! We thought it would be a good time to use the transportation to Disney Springs. We have the best of both worlds!

For those that wanted to know, the roof construction going on never even crossed my mind....that's how little it has affected the overall feel of the resort. There were some tarps near Boatwrights and they were hardly distinguishable.

Not a problem at all.

Just got home today from a five day stay. Sorry I didn't see you AndreWilley!

I enjoyed my stay. I traveled solo this time (not my cup of tea), as part of the DIS 10th Anniversary Event. I knew I would be meeting people and have my plate full, so the solo travel wasn't too big of a deal.

My room was nice (Mansion Terrace). I always stay deluxe but I adore Port Orleans, so a moderate isn't an issue for me (honestly, no onsite resort is an issue :thumbsup2 ). The beds could have been a little more comfortable.

My room, 8517, was standard view and right next to the quiet pool, very convenient. My car was parked right outside. I was not too far from the lobby and food area. But sometimes I would drive around to the food court and that was just as easy, too. Never had trouble finding a place to park, ever.

My only real complaint was that I wish there were more choices on the menus at the food court, but I managed. There are worse problems in life.

All in all, it was a wonderful stay. I love this resort. Already planning my next trip. Of course. ::yes::
So glad you enjoyed your stay. POR is my fav moderate when not staying deluxe. The grounds are so beautiful I love walking around.

I've had that location in Magnolia Terrace, very convienent close to foot bridge to get to main buildings, and I always used the bus stop across the parking lot.

Did you get to see Bob Jacksons show?

I did enjoy the food court, especially the make your own pasta bar. And big enough for 2.

We are flying to Ft Lauderdale 1 week from today, wow! Where does the time go?

We have always loved Port Orleans. Unfortunately, June was our last trip to Port Orleans and we probably won't be back at this wonderful resort again. We fell for the DVC pitch and bought into the Polynesian. My only regret to purchasing into the DVC membership is that it takes Port Orleans away from us. Anyhow, it's been fun and there will always be a special place in my heart for Port Orleans along with fantastic memories from night swimming at Ol Man Island.
I love POR..we first stayed there in '99 back when it was Dixie Landings! We bought into DVC in '03, at BWV and later at BLT! But...I've had several POR stays since then!! I love to start a linget stay there..for 2-3 nights, then over to a dvc resort.
Surprised my 21y/o dd with two nights in a RR a few years ago! She and her friend were soooo thrilled!
So, having DVC shouldn't stop you from staying there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter