Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

Refrigerator question:
I have stay at POFQ and for the life of me can't remember if it is a fridge only or if it has the little freezer compartment.
I have an injury that needs to be iced and I'd rather bring (non-messy) freezer packs from home than use actual ice.
Thanks.
We have ice packs for our son's diabetes kit so we gave them to the CMs at luggage services and they put them in their freezer and gave us a ticket. So every day we would go switch out our freezer packs with them. Worked out great.

My family and I were booked for a trip next month thanks to a pin code. We ultimately canceled that trip because I am pregnant with baby #2. It was with mixed emotions but I don't do well in the summer heat normally, I can't imagine what it would be like pregnant. I went back to our original plan for a trip November 2017 - which I booked today! Our dates are set in stone (must wait for the next school year calendar to be released) but I have a good idea of when we'll go.

My family and I were booked for a trip next month thanks to a pin code. We ultimately canceled that trip because I am pregnant with baby #2. It was with mixed emotions but I don't do well in the summer heat normally, I can't imagine what it would be like pregnant. I went back to our original plan for a trip November 2017 - which I booked today! Our dates are set in stone (must wait for the next school year calendar to be released) but I have a good idea of when we'll go.
Congrats on new baby. Good decision to skip the hot season while pregnant. November is awesome with all the Christmas stuff.

A few more temporary food court photos:

PO.org-Guest-NCDisneyMom-20160713_144719_forum.jpg

PO.org-Guest-NCDisneyMom-20160713_144639_forum.jpg
PO.org-Guest-NCDisneyMom-20160713_144832_forum.jpg

Andre

Thanks for the pics! On all of the pics I've seen of menus I have not seen any DDP symbols. Is that odd? I'm assuming the DDP will work but I would like to know what are snack credits. Any insight??

Question for anyone who has been recently: I was checking out the current resort activities schedules, and neither POFQ nor POR has any pool games listed. I thought all the resorts did pool games in the afternoons. Are they just not listed, or do they really not do anything at these resorts? (bingo, what's in your beach bag, critter round up, relay races, etc.)

I was checking out the current resort activities schedules, and neither POFQ nor POR has any pool games listed.

I asked the same thing when one of the coordinators emailed me the July lists, and I subsequently updated the page or week or two ago with the information he supplied:

Update: The reason for the calendars looking so sparse this month is that the resort is testing out a new system for poolside activities. The activities Cast Members will now be able to pick and choose games that are more relevant to the guests who are in the pool at that time, as opposed to a more structured fixed schedule grid. The campfires are also operating for an extra half-hour per day.

Andre

I asked the same thing when one of the coordinators emailed me the July lists, and I subsequently updated the page or week or two ago with the information he supplied:

Andre
Thank you! I read through all the info before I booked but it must have been before the update. Today I was sitting around second-guessing my resort choice, lol, and thought I'd ask about the lack of activities before making a decision partially based on that. I'm glad I did. I thought it didn't seem right for these resorts to have almost nothing when others have plenty. DD is really aging out of the pool games, but she is still interested in some of them, and even when not participating it's fun to watch the other kids play.

Of course the food court refurb is on the negatives list, but I think we can live with that minor inconvenience. Looking at our tentative itinerary, I think we're only going to want one (off-peak) breakfast, and lots of beignets. With the boat to Disney Springs and all the options that provides, I don't anticipate wanting much food court food anyway. =)

When I was at POFQ in May the pool activities CM I observed was doing a great job and the kids were having a blast. When I went to POR pool, the Activities CM was not really doing much to get the kids excited and it was failing quickly. Hopefully the great CM's will be at POFQ when you are there!

and thought I'd ask about the lack of activities before making a decision partially based on that.

When they put the activities sheet together they realised how it looks on paper, but too late to deal with it. Next month they'll try to make the plan look a bit less sparse! There is still a lot going on, but it's more flexible around what the guests are enjoying.

Andre

When they put the activities sheet together they realised how it looks on paper, but too late to deal with it. Next month they'll try to make the plan look a bit less sparse! There is still a lot going on, but it's more flexible around what the guests are enjoying.

Andre
LOL it looks sparse for sure! The flexibility sounds like a good idea though. Maybe next month they will at least block something generic into the space, like "pool games," or "activities," or something, lol.

When I was at POFQ in May the pool activities CM I observed was doing a great job and the kids were having a blast. When I went to POR pool, the Activities CM was not really doing much to get the kids excited and it was failing quickly. Hopefully the great CM's will be at POFQ when you are there!
Thank you! We have plenty of free time this trip, which is unusual for us, so I'm sure we'll get at least a couple of good days (I hope). ;)

I was at the resort this week, and in the main POFQ pool they had a CM DJ'ing music and playing games with a large group of kids gathered in the pool. I didn't pay much attention to see if they were doing any physical activity, but they certainly had a lot of vocal games and trivia type questions going back and forth.

Subscribing! Myself and 3 girl friends will be staying here in February for the Princess 1/2 Marathon Race weekend! While I have stayed at PORS with my family (of 5), we were never able to fit in the FQ - so I am really excited!!

We just returned from a stay at POFQ. The resort is fantastic! The grounds are lush and beautiful. The new splash area is top notch and the bus transportation for the majority of our trip was great.

However, the one current negative (if there is one) is the food court situation. The setup is less than ideal. If you are someone who is planning on utilizing the food court at high traffic times, I would plan on going to riverside. Also with only two of the newer soda machines, during peak times, there will be lines to refill your mug (the machines take a longer time to use than your typical soda fountain).

Personally for us, we wouldn't even second guess staying at the FQ again even with the food court rehab. Yet, I could def see people being frustrated with the situation.

We just returned from a stay at POFQ. The resort is fantastic! The grounds are lush and beautiful. The new splash area is top notch and the bus transportation for the majority of our trip was great.

However, the one current negative (if there is one) is the food court situation. The setup is less than ideal. If you are someone who is planning on utilizing the food court at high traffic times, I would plan on going to riverside. Also with only two of the newer soda machines, during peak times, there will be lines to refill your mug (the machines take a longer time to use than your typical soda fountain).

Personally for us, we wouldn't even second guess staying at the FQ again even with the food court rehab. Yet, I could def see people being frustrated with the situation.

Great notes! Totally with you on the need for maybe two extra Coke Freestyle machines. I love the flavor variations, the speed of the machine is entirely too slow.

Speaking of too slow, housekeeping took 12hrs for three phone calls for towel requests

Loved the splash pool, but many children don't like the bucket drop of water, and are scared of the splash area because of the volume of water splashed.

The pool area had limited activities, the one day was tie dye t-shirts ($18.11/per shirt), while a nice distraction, that's not an activity.

Is there such thing as Pool View rooms on the ground floor?

Yes. In building #2 there are 6 ground floor pool view rooms. There are none in building #5. In building #5 all the pool view rooms are on the 2nd and 3rd floors.

If you check out the map in the below link and click on each individual building a pop up will show what each room in that building is classified as.

http://www.portorleans.org/frenchquarter-info.php

Thanks for the uick response, I'm glad to hear this. According to Touringplans.com, there are no ground floor pool view rooms but I think their info may be out of date?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter