Disney's PORT ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER RESORT Information & Questions

If we choose to stay here on our next visit, how hard is it to get two connecting garden view rooms? I know connecting is just a request though. I would love to have them on the ground floor, but connecting is the first priority. If we stay here anyways. May end up at the AKL or the Poly.

Just booked my stay first week of March. Can't wait to be back. Love POFQ! I heard they are building a new splash area for the kids. Can anyone confirm this?

Just booked my stay first week of March. Can't wait to be back. Love POFQ! I heard they are building a new splash area for the kids. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, they are, work starts next month. The final footprint will actually be slightly larger than the old shallow kids' pool area.

Andre

Yes, they are, work starts next month. The final footprint will actually be slightly larger than the old shallow kids' pool area.

Andre
On your site, you mentioned "hearsay" that it will be more of an interactive water play area. Any updates on that? I know my DD would be very happy if it is because right now she say's "it's boring":)

On your site, you mentioned "hearsay" that it will be more of an interactive water play area. Any updates on that? I know my DD would be very happy if it is because right now she say's "it's boring":)

I didn't mention hearsay at all on this one, it's definitely going to be an interactive water play area. What I said in my news post was "Beginning in early October 2015, work will commence on removing the old children's splash pool at Doubloon Lagoon in order to install a new 'Interactive Water Feature' play area. I'm sure you've seen these popping up at other Disney resorts, and now it'll be French Quarter's turn". I hear from someone who has seen the plans that it should be rather impressive, with wet deck water features and slides, etc, and it will cover a larger area than the current kids' pool.

Andre

I didn't mention hearsay at all on this one, it's definitely going to be an interactive water play area. What I said in my news post was "Beginning in early October 2015, work will commence on removing the old children's splash pool at Doubloon Lagoon in order to install a new 'Interactive Water Feature' play area. I'm sure you've seen these popping up at other Disney resorts, and now it'll be French Quarter's turn". I hear from someone who has seen the plans that it should be rather impressive, with wet deck water features and slides, etc, and it will cover a larger area than the current kids' pool.

Andre
Will the regular pool be open during the reno? I arrive October 18 for a week! ;-)

Andre

I hope the Saxophone Gator will still be around somewhere. Love those Gators.

Was able to get the Armed Forces Salute at POFQ for 1/23-1/28 today! :) DH & DD(4) have never been to WDW and it's been 25 years since I last went (and even then it was only 1 day.) I'm beyond excited and can't wait for January to get here. This thread has been a great source of info as I narrowed down where I wanted to stay so thanks to all who post info and updates!

The October 2015 Recreation Activities and Movie Schedules for Port Orleans French Quarter are now available. See my main Recreation Activities Schedules page for full-size printable PDF versions.

The evening campfires will commence at 6:30pm this month and the Movies Under the Stars will be screened at 8pm daily.

Halloween (Saturday 31 October) will feature lots of fun activities, including Halloween Bash parties (4pm-7pm at POFQ and 6pm-9pm at POR) with Trick or Treating, Eerie Musical Games, Tricky Trivia, Bewitching Games, Monster Bash Dance Party, Costume Contest, Creepy Crawly Arts and Crafts, and Meet and Greets with Disney Characters. There will also be themed poolside games during the day, a Chilling Campfire in the evening, and over at French Quarter the movies starting at 8pm will be Toy Story of Terror followed by Hocus Pocus. There will also be displays of decorated pumpkins made by the resort cast members on Friday 30 October, and guests will be able to vote for their favourites.

Continuing this month: Splash into summer with the Disney Junior Pool Party featuring music and activities from some of your favourite Disney Junior shows. Join in with awesome activities and games such as Sofia Says, Doc McStuffins Trivia, sing-alongs and much more!

POFQ-Rec-2015-10.jpg

Andre

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this...... We normally stay at French Quarter in January, and I remember last year for the first time they closed the pool really early. I think it was 8:00pm. I remember hearing at the time that it may have been a test, but I don't remember if they decided to continue with that.

I was not a fan of the early closing time. We found ourselves leaving the parks early, and eating in the food court rather than at
TS dinners in order to get our kids back for a chance to swim. We just booked again yesterday for January. We debated between FQ and Riverside, but eventually settled on FQ even though we couldn't get the SPD deal there. I just thought about the pool issue, and realized that would have been another plus in the column for Riverside! Does anyone know if they are still closing the pool early, or will they wait to decide that?

If we choose to stay here on our next visit, how hard is it to get two connecting garden view rooms? I know connecting is just a request though. I would love to have them on the ground floor, but connecting is the first priority. If we stay here anyways. May end up at the AKL or the Poly.

I would think your chances are pretty good. We actually just priced out our vacation on a standard room, but decided to book it as garden view. I looked over the building layouts on Andre's website, and it seems most of the connecting rooms fall under "garden view". It was only $35 more for the week, so we did that to increase our chances of connecting rooms.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this...... We normally stay at French Quarter in January, and I remember last year for the first time they closed the pool really early. I think it was 8:00pm. I remember hearing at the time that it may have been a test, but I don't remember if they decided to continue with that.

I was not a fan of the early closing time. We found ourselves leaving the parks early, and eating in the food court rather than at
TS dinners in order to get our kids back for a chance to swim. We just booked again yesterday for January. We debated between FQ and Riverside, but eventually settled on FQ even though we couldn't get the SPD deal there. I just thought about the pool issue, and realized that would have been another plus in the column for Riverside! Does anyone know if they are still closing the pool early, or will they wait to decide that?

Last week the pool was being closed at 11 pm, but it was still hot weather. I imagine it will close earlier in January since presumably not as many people will want to swim. The quiet pools at POR don't close, so yes, that's definitely a plus.

Most likely they will do the same again in Jan/Feb as they did last year (probably 10am-8pm, but that's not certain yet of course). The current pool hours are 9am-10pm, which started today (Sunday 27 Sept). The Riverside quiet pools are unofficially pretty much 24 hours, but that's a bit of a hike from FQ at night.

Andre

I looked over the building layouts on Andre's website, and it seems most of the connecting rooms fall under "garden view". It was only $35 more for the week, so we did that to increase our chances of connecting rooms.

Not really, there are connecting rooms in all categories. Standard View perhaps has proportionally less (74 of 249) and Pool View has more (28 out of 30) but a request should help you more than a particular category.

upload_2015-9-28_2-14-32.png

Andre

Last edited:
Just got a room only discount! I don't know if it works with the SPD packages, but was able to secure a 15% discount for our stay the second week in January!

Which building would be best to request for my husband and myself that will be quiet and nice view? We have reservations for a King bed and requested top floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter