Disney's Magical Express

Regina

<font color=teal>Maybe I’ll “accidentally” drop a
Disney has announced a major enhancement for their resort guests visiting on May 5 and beyond. Here's the info: Magical Express

That does sound like a wonderful idea!

I like the idea of the remote check-in just not so sure about the shuttle service.

Wonder if this will be available to DVC members.

I assume it'll include DVC members as they are still kinda-sorta disney resorts. Although I am unlikely to use it, (I usually rent a car and fly Southwest) I am cautiously optomistic about it. It seems like you'll still be waiting a longtime for the Mears Shuttle to load, etc. etc.

Cora, we're trying to find out about DVC members. (As you can see by my DIS "name", I'd like to know this too.)

We'll keep you posted as updates come along. :D

Uh, no thanks. Given it is Mears how good do you really think it will be? Thanks, but I will stick with FL Tours, no way in heck will I go on a three hour tour to get to my resort! Been there, done that. I can see the posts now....

I hope this doesn't effect the independent car companies ie: FL Tours, Tiffany, Happy Limo, etc., but I have a feeling they will suffer.

I have used Mears in the past. For the money we spent (if I remember corrrectly it was about $75 at the time) we decided to try a towncar service. We have loved the towncars. But, we didn't have a huge wait at Mears and it only took us about 45 minutes to get to our resort. Yes, we lucked out and all the people in the van happened to be going to the same resort. And I know that that isn't always going to happen. But, if I save over $100 by using this service, then I'm all for it. We don't worry so much about wasting an hour or so since we've been to WDW a lot. In fact, on our most recent trips we haven't even gone to a park on our arrival day.

Yes, I'm hoping that DVC people can use it also. Can't imagine why they couldn't. Unless the service is tied into a package. That would be a pain. I can see all the towncar services saying, over and over..."Tie it into a package, tie it into a package!"

But, here's where I am confused. Can you ONLY use the shuttle if you are on a carrier where they can check your bags thru to WDW, or can you use the shuttle and bring your luggage (if, you are flying on SWA)?

:wave:

Beca

Beca said:
But, here's where I am confused. Can you ONLY use the shuttle if you are on a carrier where they can check your bags thru to WDW, or can you use the shuttle and bring your luggage (if, you are flying on SWA)?

Beca

The way I read it is that anyone staying on property can use it. It sounds like they will pick up your bags, no matter what airline you fly.

It sounds different for your departure. Sounds like only the airlines listed will allow you to check your bags at your resort. All other airlines will have their passengers check their bags at the airport.

My wonder is this. Will they allow those of use that fly other airlines like Southwest or Sun Country to still check in for our flight at the resort? I can check in 24hrs in advance and print my boarding passes. I normally go to the Contemporary or a business resort hotel and pay to print the passes..... I wonder how Disney will handle this.

Duds

A few questions:

What if you are not flying with one of the participating airlines but you do have reservations at a Disney resort, are you eligible for the shuttle?

If eligible for the complimentary shuttle how are your bags handled since you can't use the special check in? Do you take your bags on the shuttle?

Are you in vans or on a motor coach? If it's a bus and not the vans won't the Mears trip be even longer then the horror stories I have read about with people "paying" for their service in the past?

Do you think this will drive the cost down for the independent carriers such as Tiffany's?

Very interesting...I wonder how well it will really work?

I do'nt think it's going to have too much impact on teh car services...

There's no grocery stop, and many people are more than happy to pay for the convenience and privacy of a car service, even if it costs more.

The grocery store stop will be a biggie for many people in the decision process. Especially HAFH guests who plan on eating some meals in their villa's.

Anne

It sounds nice but Mears - no thank you. I will gladly pay for a towncar or a limo just not to deal with them. Did it once and learned our lesson. I also like the grocery stop to pick up water and snacks for the kids. I do think it's a nice service though for someone who was going to use Mears anyway.

kutchyone said:
A few questions:

If eligible for the complimentary shuttle how are your bags handled since you can't use the special check in? Do you take your bags on the shuttle?

Are you in vans or on a motor coach? If it's a bus and not the vans won't the Mears trip be even longer then the horror stories I have read about with people "paying" for their service in the past?

My thoughts exactly. My concern is this...is the shuttle going to have a "no bags" policy to speed things up. I might be a little miffed if I "checked" my bags straight to WDW, and saw others bringing their bags on the bus. I'm just a little paranoid...but, that just seems like an awful long time to be separated from your belongings. I'm sure the airlines will LOVE it...much quicker turn time as people will be bringing less "stuff" on board.

I am SURE you will be traveling in a motor coach. We had the mis-fortune of traveling on one of those a couple of years ago (when we also made the mistake of staying off site...I "trusted" my "WDW experienced friends" to make a ressie for me...NEVER again). We got on a Mears motorcoach (we hated it SO much that we actually rented a car at the hotel) with about 60 other people, and that bus went to EVERY hotel in WDW and then went to all of the hotels off-site (of which we were the VERY last). I had never stayed offsite before, and needless to say, by the time we took the "3-hour grand tour", I was VERY disappointed in my hotel...I had "Disney-envy" the whole time!!! It really took us over 2 hours to get to our hotel!!!

I don't know that I would ever use this service...but, maybe when my dd gets bigger.

It will be interesting to watch and see. I also agree that this is another attempt by WDW to "strand" people at WDW. I think it is VERY smart of them to keep their visitors to themselves. It may work out good for all of us who rent cars though...maybe more specials will come down the pike as some form of transportation will no longer be "necessary". I dare say, though...I think the other towncars will suffer a bit. It does make WDW a great deal if you can get a "special" at the value resorts with free transportation to and from the parks, with special early entry and late evening park exclusivity. I think a lot of people will find the whole "package" a lot more irresistable.

I think the other parks may suffer a bit too...which, of course is WDW's plan.

Beca

kutchyone said:

They said state of the art motor coaches. I understand what you are saying about more people in buses, therefore, the delay in arriving at your resort, but as one who was seated/crammed in the back row of a Mears van with three other people (two of which were someone else's girls who were fighting and shoving each other), I will never ever ride a Mears van again.

That said, we will gladly try out the Magical Express. :) We enjoyed this type of baggage handling with Disney Cruise line and found it to be excellent. While we will never use Mears vans again, we have had good experiences with the Disney Cruise Line Mears buses from airport to port and port back to airport.

I am wondering if this service will be free for DCL land/sea packages and/or cruise only vacations as well.

Tink

FYI - apparently, the service is free from May 2005 until Sept 2006.

Its a gret marketing scheme by Disney, get everyone to WDW, keep them there, and when their done send em right back to the airport.

There goes a big part of the arguement for renting a car, previously the shuttle cost to and fro the airport was a good reason to just rent your own car.

Personally I dont like the luggage idea, bit paranoid with all that luggage out of the owners hands for that length of time.

dudspizza said:
My wonder is this. Will they allow those of use that fly other airlines like Southwest or Sun Country to still check in for our flight at the resort? I can check in 24hrs in advance and print my boarding passes. I normally go to the Contemporary or a business resort hotel and pay to print the passes.....
Duds

Duds.....

The front desk at your Disney resort will print your passes for FREE....

We just did this at WL two weeks ago for SWA check-in.

If not flying with a participating carrier do you grab you bags yourself and then they load them "under" the bus? You wouldn't take your bags in the bus with you would you? I know that someone is rolling their eyes now because this may be a stupid questiond to some but work with me please!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter