Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. adreamisawish

adreamisawish "And so the Lion fell in love with the Lamb"

Thanks for the number, CleveRocks. I called and they had us in the system. She gave me one confirmation number for the entire family to use. She said since we were in the computer, we did not need a voucher or anything and she did recommend us pulling our own luggage, since we arrive at 10:15pm. We are Southwest and she said SW flies in on level 3, baggage claim is directly below on level 2 and the DME counter is directly below the SW baggage claim on level 1. We will land and make our way down!!

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Yes, you will most likely be picked up by DME around 8ish. You can check you bags at any time, it just has to be 3 hrs before your flight departure time. I was told, last June at POR, that everyone has to be at the desk in order to get boarding passes, since it is exactly the same as checking in at the airport...where they want to see ID and such. So, plan on having everyone there, in person. I believe you have to check your luggage at the same time you get boarding passes, but could be wrong.
    The one thing I would suggest is to get to the airline checkin desk as early as you can. I have seen very long lines around 8ish in the mornings.

4. kjccr

kjccr Mouseketeer

Thank you...but here's a new twist....what if we all went to the check in counter right before we went to bed the night before we leave and get our boarding pass and check our luggage then ( we are avid cruisers and are all too comfortable with turning our luggage over the night before we leave!) Thanks again!

5. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

The counters/desks close at 2:00 in the afternoon, or in that area. Don't open up again until 5:00 a.m. So, you can't do that. Sorry. That's the reason so many people change their very early flights to ones that are after 8:00 a.m. I know I did just that last Dec...that way I could to the early checkin with the airline desk...changed from a 7 a.m. flight to one at 10:00..much easier to work with.

6. Veater

Veater Earning My Ears

We tried to use the Resort Check In Desk to come home on 6/27 6pm flight and could NOT. Alaska would not let the resort check us in or our luggage. We had to pick it up and lug it through the airport that afternoon at 3 with the Magical express. I complained to the person that tried to check us in at Pop Century but he said that Alaska had been denying everyone so far that tried to check in. It was not just us. At the airport, I spoke with another passenger that tried to check in at the Contemporary and she had the same problem. She had to take her luggage to the airport and get her boarding pass there. So be prepared as they may advertise that they are "Participating" but in reality they aren't.

7. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

kjccr: You do NOT have to check your luggage at 5 AM. You have to check it at least three, but no more than twelve, hours before your flight departs, not before you leave the resort for the airport. On the other hand, to be absolutely safe, you should plan to have all your luggage AND all your 'people' at the RAC counter by 7 or 7:15 in case there's a long line.

8. Chip 'n Dale Express

Chip 'n Dale Express Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o

It could very well be that on that particular day, Alaska Airlines and/or BAGS were having some technical issues. I'm sure it was just an isolated incident.

9. bbrnca

bbrnca an addiction is a bad thing unless it is a Mouse t

Can someone update me on who is a participating airline ????? I've been looking over the transportation treads and cannot figure out who is and isn't, I'm flying USair in Sept. and not sure if they are. :confused3

10. Chip 'n Dale Express

Check out the first post in this thread.

11. Donald - my hero

Donald - my hero <font color=blue>Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"

Ok i've read through this entire chain (12 pages) and I don't think I have seen the answer. :confused: I have booked ME, flying with Southwest and realize that it is not included in list and all that is involved with that problem. NOW, we are staying at Music Family suites BUT i want to rent a car from Dolphin. Can I get dropped off there? OR must I go to the hotel on my reservation?

12. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Everyone who gets a ride from DME MUST be dropped off only at the resort where they are a registered guest. Besides, even if that weren't the case, Dolphin isn't a Disney owned and operated resort and thus is not served by DME. Sorry. :guilty:

13. the_princess

the_princess DIS Veteran

im coming over from europe and i think that im going to orlando sanford international airport. how do i go to WDW from there? im staying at CBR. Is there ME there as well or should i make sure that i go to the other airport?

14. CleveRocks

There's no DME (or any other FREE transportation) from Sanford to WDW. Your options are to book a flight that lands at MCO (Orlando International Airport) and take DME from there, or keep your current flight and arrange for private transportation from there. There are plenty of companies that provide private transportation.

15. the_princess

the_princess DIS Veteran

i haven't booked a flight yet, but from Denmark there is not that many options. But ill try to get one for MCO. Thanks a lot Cleverocks, then i got that sorted out :)

16. NJBILL

NJBILL Always Keep An Eye To The Sky

I checked the first thread and did not see Airtran. My brother just booked a WDW trip using AIRTRAN through AAA and was told they were participating?
    Is this correct?
    Thanks.

17. Chip 'n Dale Express

They were mis-informed if they were told they could use the Resort Airline Check-In desk to recieve thier boarding passes and check thier luggage at the resort for thier trip home.

They can still use all other transportation and inbound luggage services.

18. dsnygirl2006

dsnygirl2006 DIS Veteran

Just made my airline ressie's for my upcoming WDW trip in September? I am flying in on Southwest Airlines....can I use ME if flying on the airline? Can I personally make ressies for ME even if I booked my disney package through a travel agency??? and how far out can I book??? Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated :thumbsup2

19. Dopey Sharon

Dopey Sharon Proud Mimi of our first grandchild, Lily

Yes, you can call yourself and make the reservations. I booked our room through AAA and made my own reservations with DME.

I'm not sure how far out you can make your reservations, but I would think you should be able to make them now. If not, they will let you know when you can.

Have fun!

20. ItGirl753

ItGirl753 DIS Veteran

Sorry, I'm new to this topic and really confused! I have a few questions:

1. Can Shades of Green guests use ME?
    2. I do not have to go through a TA - I can book my own flight and then make reservations for ME? (Just the DisneyWorld phone #?) If I do not fly a participating airline, how does it work? I pick up my baggage and take it to the bus?
    3. Is there a site where I can read more about ME so I don't have to ask dumb questions?
    Thank you.

21. CleveRocks

Well first off, guests at SOG can't use DME. Sorry.

People can make DME reservations. You don't need a TA, or a package. You just need to be a registered guest at a Disney owned-and-operated resort.

As for where you can go for more info, the 1st post in this thread would be an excellent start. For example, it says there that EVERYONE on EVERY AIRLINE gets the automatic luggage delivery upon arrival (skipping baggage claim, etc.).