Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Alesia

Alesia DIS Veteran

The time they assign you will be about 3 hours (plus or minus 15 minutes) before your flight, so somewhere between 8:15 and 8:45. You need to be at the platform, completely ready to go, 15 minutes before your scheduled time.

The RAC desk opens at 5:00 or 5:30, so you won't have a problem using RAC, but make sure you give yourself plenty of time; they will probably busy at that time of the morning because so many people with later flights check their bags before they go to a park. The entire process must be complete at least 3 hours before your flight.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Be prepared to get a pickup time of as early as 8. It could also be as late as 8:45...they usually run 20 mins on either side of your flight time, depending on your resort. So, you need to be at the bus stop, all ready to go, 15 mins prior to the time you are given.
    The RAC counter opens at 5am. I would pack your bags the night before, leaving out only what you will need for your departure day. Then you can get the bags down to RAC as early as possible. The line starts to build by 7:30ish, with those checking bags and then heading to a park. So, try to get there before 7 if you can. Then go and grab a bite to eat and you'll be all ready to board your bus.

4. shannon006

shannon006 DIS Veteran

Thanks for your replies:) We have always flown out the latest flight so we can have one last day. Unfortunately the only flights Airtran has available for rewards are in the morning:sad2: On the bright side we are are staying 10 nights:goodvibes

It makes me feel better that we can still use RAC and have Magical Express handle our luggage.

5. lffam

lffam Mouseketeer

Our experience with the Disney Airlines Check In service was as poor as it could get, well the result was the process was fine and easy.

We had a 9:30 flight on AA and had check our bags in by 5:30am. We got on the 6:00 am DME and were at the airport in 30-40mins. Straight through on the TSAPre-check line then waited for our flight. Arrived into LAX on time and off the plane and down to meet our chauffeur and then over to bag claim. Well after waiting 30 mins, none of our 4 bags came off onto the conveyor. Over to AA baggage claim service desk waiting in line, and I notice another lady infront of me with a DME boarding pass envelope. I asked her if her bags had not turned up and sure enough same issue. She was also on the same flight as us. By time i got to the front of the line close to an hour had passed from when we landed. I was told that 2 of our bags went to Dallas and were now on way back to LAX but wouldnt be here until 4pm ( we landed at 11:55) the other 2 went to New York and wouldnt be back till 6:30pm. She said there was a note on the system saying that AA received them late from Disney. The previous lady had a note saying that the bags were stopped to be inspected by TSA and dint make the flight for that reason (apparently they had alot of bottles of water in there bags which teh CSA seemed to think triggered the searching??)

In the end our bags were delivered to us at our hotel, 2 at about 830pm and 2 at midnight. While I am sure there are plenty who have used the service without issue, I wouldn't use the service again.

I have called the Wilderness Lodge where we were staying, first time they put me through to Lost & Found as they clearly didn't understand my query. Second time the lady wanted to put me through to Bell Services so again she didn't understand but I asked to speak to a manager. I was put through to another lady who did end up understanding the but couldn't help me and was going to get another manager to call me today. this didn't happen. While I knew there was nothing they could do and we had our luggage back now and that it is handled by Airport staff, not Disney/Lodge staff, I wanted to let them know what had happened. But alas no response from them so far.

6. goofy4tink

Sadly, we are hearing of this happening more and more! I'm not sure what can be done though. I suppose an email or snail mail to Disney might help. They need to know that a service that they provide isn't coming close to meeting expectations. And yes, I'm fully aware that Disney isn't actually providing this service...BAGS is. But, they are operating at Disney resorts, and Disney tells its guests that this is a perk of staying at a WDW owned resort. So, where does the buck stop?? While it wasn't nearly as convenient having to take my checked bag back to MCO with me after my stay at the Dolphin yesterday, it was nice knowing that I knew my bag had actually been put on the belt for delivery to the plane. If it got misdirected, it would be the airline's issue.

7. lffam

lffam Mouseketeer

oh I couldn't agree with you more! Disney market it as a part of package inclusion they staff wear Disney Cast Members bag, they need to ensure that the service is to the standard they would want it to be should it be provided by Disney. They can not ( and in my case haven't ) wipe their hands of it, they just haven't responded yet.

The ironic thing was, the process/system to find the bags, lodge the recovery claim, track it, and then track it once its been found and being assigned to a delivery driver ( they send email each step of the process, even a picture of the driver, his car and phone number) is very very good. This to me says that it happens alot and they need an efficient system to rectify - I'm talking about AA now, not Disney) . I cant imagine the number of bags that AA would handle per day but it must be 1000's but to have these systems to cater for the minority that do go astray, must be a large number also.

8. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

Yes, this has happened to us several times, on different airlines, on non-Disney trips. I don't mind it so much on the way home; we just hear a thud on our front porch some time between 11pm and 2 am. :lmao:
    Luckily, it's been a while now.
    Mistakes/delays happen but it's not enough to make me want to stop flying or using luggage service at WDW. :goodvibes

9. JAMIESMITH

JAMIESMITH DIS Veteran

If we only have carry-on luggage, how early will we have to leave our resort for a 4:30PM flight home?

10. goofy4tink

If you are using DME, you will be given a pickup time of around 1:30ish. The type of baggage you have has nothing to do with your time.
    If you are getting yourselves back to MCO, then you can safely head out around 2ish..it's always a good idea to be back at MCO 2 hrs prior to your flight. And it takes about 30 mins to get there...barring any issues on the road.

11. siskaren

siskaren DIS Veteran

Even if you don't have checked luggage, they'll still give you a pick-up time of about 3 hours before your flight is due to leave (it should be 3 hours plus or minus 15 minutes, so sometime between 1:15 and 1:45.) Even without having to check luggage, you might have to stop at other resorts, plus I've heard that security lines at MCO can be pretty bad.

12. Alicatt

Alicatt Mouseketeer

Hello! I've tried reading through the thread but I didn't see an answer to my question. I will be taking DME and using RAC on my return trip which is on Southwest. Can I be checked in/ check myself in at the 24 hour mark and still use RAC to check my bags and print my passes the morning of the trip?
    Thanks for the help!

13. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

We bought EBCI when we flew SWA home in Sept and had no problems using RAC at AKL. Technically it's SWA checking us in early.
    I don't see why it would be any different if you checked yourself in at t-24 but perhaps someone can post who has done that recently.

14. disneyxo

disneyxo Mouseketeer

I am happy to read this as we are flying SW for the first time this trip. We did buy EBCI and I was wondering how that worked with using RAC. Looks like it works good :)

15. QueenofPrideRock

QueenofPrideRock Mouseketeer

Is there any benefit to using RAC if you are not checking bags? We will be flying home on United but just with carry-ons. I usually use the app to check in and get a mobile boarding pass, too. :confused3

16. jcarwash

jcarwash DIS Veteran

If you aren't checking bags and you already have a boarding pass, I can't think of a reason for you to use RAC.

17. QueenofPrideRock

QueenofPrideRock Mouseketeer

Thanks! That's kind of what I'd been thinking.

18. Levenseller215

Levenseller215 Earning My Ears

Here is my scenario. Any help is appreciated.

Flying in May 22 for the 24hr event. Using ME and staying at Sports. Heading early in the AM of the 23rd over the parks for the 24 full hours. Our reservation is for only the night of the 22nd. So effectively we will be checked out at sometime we are in one of the parks.

The plan was to grab a resort bus at 6am on the 24th, back to Sports and jumping on ME for our flight home.

After I paid for the res with gift cards (so I can't really go a different route, off site etc...) my TA is telling me I can't book ME after check out date. Am I going t get the same answer when I am actually at Disney? Anyone had success with a similar scenario?

Thanks. LK

19. Alesia

Alesia DIS Veteran

The TA is correct. You will not be able to use DME after the 23rd.

20. goofy4tink

The only time you 'might' be able to use DME after official checkout day, would be if you're checkout day was, let's say, Tuesday, and there were EMHs at MK that night until 2am. You wouldn't officially be a resort guest after midnight, but you could probably book DME for shortly after the park closed.
    But, if you're last day is, again, Tuesday, but you want to head to a park for a 24 hr deal, that ends on Wednesday night? Nope. I think they only give you a few hours wiggle room, if at all.

21. Levenseller215

Levenseller215 Earning My Ears

So if I am checking out on the 23rd, a 6am or 8am trip on MDE is out? Hoping maybe I get a little good karma and leeway once I get there because of the 24hr day.

If I don't, what are my options? Book another night, take a cab, Mears.... Anything else? What's the easiest? What's the least expensive?

Thanks lk