Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.
Yep. RAC and DME are completely separate. There's no problem using one without the other.
Log in or Sign up to hide this advert.
Yes. Disney officially allows this for RAC (remote skycap service with check-in and outbound luggage service).
Disney's DME FAQ used to say that RAC could be used without riding back on DME. It no longer says that explicitly, but the details about RAC say nothing about using DME.
In contrast, for inbound baggage service, it now says, "Please note that you cannot reserve the luggage service exclusively. You must be present on the motorcoach to have your luggage transported to a Walt Disney World hotel."
As long as you are using RAC at the resort you are paying to stay at, you're fine. That is pretty much the only qualification.
I received my ME tickets and they have the incorrect arrival date. I had originally planned on arriving Oct 11th, but plans changed and I am now arriving Oct 10th. I called Reservations and made the reservation and ME change, no problem. I received my updated reservation/voucher booklet, but no updated ME ticket. Will there be any issues with this?
If you mean the yellow DME luggage sticker tags don't have the correct date, I think you're fine. The tags have your name and reservation on them, and so I'd expect the luggage service will divert and transport any yellow-tagged bags to the appropriate Disney resort, even if the date doesn't match.
Is this allowed? We rented a car but also made reservations for the DME. However, we have errands to run near the airport so we wanted to know if we could use the yellow tags to have our luggage sent to the resort but drive to the resort in our rental car? Sorry if this has been answered before.
Officially, the answer is no.
Disney even changed the wording on their official instructions, "Complimentary Airport Transportation Service - Disney's Magical Express Transportation." As of right now (4:00 p.m. EDT on October 18, 2012), here's what it says:
Please note that you cannot reserve the luggage service exclusively. You must be present on the motorcoach to have your luggage transported to a Walt Disney World hotel.
That said, people have done what you're suggesting, and this topic is the subject of its own "sticky" thread:
Guidelines regarding DME and luggage only...
This sticky thread was started way back on Nov. 21, 2008. You can read this whole sticky thread, if you wish, to get opinions and experiences. You can decide for yourself if it's a good idea (or not) to expect Disney to deliver your bags to your room without using the transportation service, and whether it's ethical to do so.
when i booked my package, i picked to use the dme, but our flight hadn't been booked yet. whenever i tried to look where to put in our flight info, i couldn't find it and now i've read that we would need reservations 10 days prior to arriving. we leave in 3 days! i've got the tags and everything, do i need to call someone? or just go to the airport as usual?
If you have the DME tags (the yellow sticky tags, not the plastic souvenir tags) and vouchers (in the DME booklet), you are all set. DME likes to have flight information for scheduling purposes, but it's really not necessary for your inbound flight. They will need your return flight info in order to schedule your resort pickup, however.
Call (407) WDW-MAGIC or (407) 939-6244 and see if they can help you.
okay, thank you!
Question about doing a split stay at Beach Club and Dolphin. We check out of the Beach Club on 12/25 and then out of the Dolphin on 1/1. Can we use RAC on 1/1 at the Beach Club since we didn't get to utilize it on our check out day? Not ME and just RAC.
You can only use RAC at a Disney hotel where you have an active stay. You would typically use it on your checkout day (but in some cases, before checkout day if, for example, one family member is flying home early to return to college).
You can't use RAC a week later or even a day later.
Quick question. A friend is staying at AoA & coming home on Monday. They flew Frontier. They were told they can use DME to go back to MCO but they have to handle their own luggage
Is that right? They won't handle the luggage?
See the first post in this thread for a complete answer.
DME doesn't 'handle' luggage for your return home. RAC (remote/resort airline checkin) does. And you need to be on a participating airline for that to happen..and Frontier isn't one of them.
So...they will just take their bags with them to the DME bus. The bags will go beneath the bus and handed back to them when they get to MCO. They will then check their bags the 'old-fashioned' way at the airport.
I'm going for a solo weekend trip in December and am flying due to time constraints and finding cheap airfare. I haven't flown anywhere in several years and I'm a little nervous.
1. Online check-in - if I can check in on my phone, is there any point in checking in using RAC? I'm not checking any luggage.
2. Using ME, I'll just give my carryon to the bus driver to stow under the ME bus, or can I carry it on to the bus and store it under my seat or overhead?
3. On the day I leave, I will need to check out earlier than my ME reservation time. Can I leave my bags with bell services and retrieve them myself, or will bell services give them to the ME bus driver directly?
4. I am very familiar with WDW and several of the resorts. This time I'm staying at AoA; where are the bus stops at the parks, in relation to Pop's? For example, Pop's bus stop at MK is the.very.last.one - I was hoping for something closer for AoA. At the end of the day that is quite a walk!
Thanks for your help!
1. Would you get some kind of boarding pass on your phone then? Because that would be the only other reason to use RAC if you don't have luggage - to get a boarding pass.
2. It depends on the size of your carry-on. I use a backpack for a carry-on and can just hold that in my lap, but since you're not checking luggage, I'm assuming that your carry-on is most likely a small rolling suitcase. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure it would have to be stowed under the bus, in which case you should tip the driver for handling it.
3. You can absolutely have Bell Services hold your luggage for you until your ME time. You should pick up your luggage about 30 minutes before your pick-up time because there might be other people waiting for their luggage at the same time, and because the pick-up time is actually when the bus leaves your resort, not when it gets there, so you want to be at the pick-up about 15 minutes before your scheduled time.
4. I don't think there are set locations for the different resorts' stops at the various parks; I believe it can change.
1. If you check in using your phone, you will still have to stop, at the airport, to get your boarding pass. May as well do it at RAC.
2. If you have a carryon that is larger than a tote bag, it will need to go beneath the bus. There is no room under the seats, and the overhead bins are small. They will accomodate a tote bag but nothing larger.
3. Leave your bags with luggage assistence. Then, be sure to leave plenty of time to retrieve them. Luggage Assistence at the values tends to be a bit slower than other resorts. Figure on 15 mins. They will not give the bags to DME...you have to get the bags yourself.
4. If AoA bus stops are closer than Pop's, it would mean moving an existing resort stop. I haven't heard of any reconfigurations, so I imagine that the AoA stops are located pretty much the same as Pop's....toward the end.
Thanks so much to both of you, this is very helpful! And goofy4tink, I apologize, I realized after the fact that I probably should have posted this as a new post instead of in the DME/RAC sticky.
Not a problem..glad you got your answer!!!
Separate names with a comma.