Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

The issue isn't with either DME or RAC. It is with JB...if you are flying with a lap baby, you must checkin at the airport in order to prove the age of the child. There is no way around it that I know of.
    Can you use DME? Absolutely. But you can't use RAC. Your entire group has to be able to checkin at the same time....so,no you can't check bags or get boarding passes at the resort. You can take the DME bus back to MCO, with your bags stowed beneath it, and then take your bags with you to the JB counter to be checked in and given boarding passes.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Patty3

Patty3 DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. What is definitely puzzling to me is that we have flown Jwt Blue with a lap child and have always been able to print out our boarding passes the day before. I am concerned because I know that our flight is overbooked. Only way to get return seats was to pay the extra. I wonder if we do not take ME on the way home if we can still get our boarding passes printed as before or if this is something new.

4. thumbalyna

thumbalyna DIS Veteran

I know that this question has probably been asked and answer many times but i went through about 75 pages and either i am missing something or i am just being stupid. Last time we used DME we only had carryons so i had no concerns this year we are flying with one bag.

we booked everything directly through disney. first question do i need to go to the us air website 24 hours in advance and check in for our flight home like i do before we leave (our seats are already assigned for both flights) or do i do this at the RAC counter in the morning?

we have a flight departing MCO @ 7:35pm, we are just going to spend our last day checking out the holiday decorations and finish shopping at DTD, so if i am correct i can leave our carryons and laptop with the resort.

with regards to our checked luggage do i need to call bags at a certain time to pay for our bag (when we used this service with carnival we werent required to pay for the bag and they didnt check it for weight, we were flying continental though) or just as long as i do it before i go to the RAC counter.

i think i am stressing more than i need to, but i just want to make sure that i dont forget something that needs to be done.

thanks for all your help, the disboards rock!!!!

5. wdwishes1990

wdwishes1990 DIS Veteran

I just want to make sure I understand. I have a friend flying in from Canada on Air Canada. If I have read correctly she can utilize her luggage tags to have the bags picked up and taken to her room. Is this correct? What I don't understand is who checks the Air Canada baggage claim area for DME bags if they aren't part of the program?

6. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

Air Canada doesn't have their own private luggage carosel. They might have their own employees that unload the plane but MCO has staff that pulls all bags with Disney yellow tags so they don't even go out onto the conveyor to the public. For incoming flights to Orlando, it truly doesn't matter what airline one is flying. If it has a yellow tag, it will be pulled.

7. wdwishes1990

wdwishes1990 DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for clarifying.

8. msheriffm

msheriffm Mouseketeer

To maximize our time at Disney World we will be spending the first and last night at the Orlando Airport Hyatt (yes it is actually inside the airport). We do not want to use the express at the time our plane arrives and departs. Can we just request to be picked up at 9:00 AM the morning after our flight and ask for the Magic Express to take us to the airport our last night at 7:30 (we are flying out early the next morning)? I don't think there is anything wrong with what we are doing since we are staying at a DW resort. The main reason we are doing this is we live on the west coast so getting into the east coast is always late in the day. I don't want to waste a day that we could be enjoying the parks.

9. Horace Horsecollar

Horace Horsecollar <font color=blue>DVC members represent a unique ca

That's fine.

Disney's Magical Express (DME) is a function of your WDW resort stay, not of your flights. You don't have to go directly from your flight to the DME coach, and you don't have to fly home on the day when you take the DME coach back to the airport.

You must have a DME reservation tied to your WDW resort reservation to use DME. In your case, the flight details do not matter. However, you may run into a Disney reservationist who insists on flight information.

Your best bet is to call Disney's Magical Express Guest Services at 1-866-599-0951. Just tell them approximately when you want to leave the airport for your WDW resort and approximately when you want to leave your WDW resort to return to the airport.

Instead of using DME luggage transfers on arrival and Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) when you check out, plan on taking your own luggage to the DME coach.

10. goofy4tink

As HH already told you, it's absolutely no problem to do this. In fact, many people do it, for exactly the same reason.
    HH's advice is sound. My only issue is that, while you shouldn't need to give DME flight info, it sometimes confuses the CM on the phone if you don't. The thing that you can do is to tell them that your flights haven't been booked yet, so no flight info. But that you will let them know when you have it. They will say ok and be done with it.
    The thing that you will have to do is give them info for your return to MCO. So, when you get to MCO, you may be asked about your return trip plans. Give them the time you need to be back at MCO and let them tell you the time. Or, just book your return trip when you get to your resort. You can do that the day you checkin if you want, or a day or two later. Just don't leave it to too late in your stay. It should be done 48 hrs prior to departure.

11. noname70

noname70 Mouseketeer

I did this exact thing on my last trip. I called DME directly and they were great about it.

12. KrazeeK120

KrazeeK120 DIS Veteran

ME and RAC have nothing to do with one another. Resort guests can choose to use both, one, or neither of these services.

So...your choice of whether or not to use ME will have no bearing on your ability to get boarding passes printed at the resort.

13. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

I'm a little confused about something.

We will be staying onsite and likely flying in and out on Southwest Airlines. If I understand it correctly, we just need to arrive at MCO and our luggage will be taken care of but we will have to take care of it when we return to MCO to leave. Is that correct?

14. goofy4tink

Nope, that's 'old' info. SW now participates in RAC (resort airline checkin). As long as you can be completely checked in no less than 3 hrs prior to flight departure, you are good to go. This means that you have to have a departure time of not much earlier than 8:30am...the RAC counter opens at 5am and it takes about 15 mins to get checked in.
    If your flight departs prior to 8:30am, you would just take your bags with you, to the DME bus, and check them at the airport.
    Hope that helps.

15. cruise cruise cruise

cruise cruise cruise <font color=royalblue>Either way we will have FUN!

RAC

Is there a charge to use RAC?

We are flying Delta and are allowed free checked bag with our Delta AmEx card, would we be able to check in and use RAC and utilize our free checked bag?

Thanks

16. Horace Horsecollar

There is no fee to use Resort Airline Check-in (RAC) if you are departing from a Disney owned-operated resort at which you were a registered guest.

RAC is essentially curbside check-in (except that, in the case of RAC, the "curb" is 20 miles from the airport terminal). So the RAC employees appreciate the same tips as skycaps doing similar work at the airport.

As far as airline baggage fees and fee waivers are concerned, RAC accesses the same computer systems as the skycaps at the airports. RAC employees can see who is exempt from the first (or first and second) bag fee due to class of service, elite frequent flyer status, airline credit card benefits, and other reasons that fees are waived.

17. momof3ds

momof3ds Mouseketeer

Ok, we are checking out on 9/1 and flying home on 9/2. Switching hotels for a night. I called the ME number directly and the person on the line told me she needed a flight number or our room number to add the departure info. She told me to arrange the departure ride at the resort once we have our room number.

Is this correct? I can find a flight number to call with if needed.

Our plan is to ride ME back to the airport and switch to the hotel shuttle.

18. goofy4tink

Nope..you just need a reservation number for a WDW owned resort..period. If you used Disney to book your resort stay, then call them and have them add DME for your departure.
    I have taken DME back to MCO on several occasions with no return flight info. There have been times that I have found a flight that leaves at an appropriate time for my DME pickup....for instance, if I want to be at MCO by 8pm, I give them flight info for a flight leaving at 10pm-ish.
    But, I have never had to give them room info...just a resort reservation number.

19. wahmtexas

wahmtexas Mouseketeer

flight leaves at 7pm, can I check out of my AoA room in the early am and leave my luggage at the resort until taking it on the Magic Express and what time should I expect Magic Express to take us to the airport for a 7pm flight?

20. Horace Horsecollar

You can use do that.

But if you're using an airline that participates in Resort Airline Check-in (RAC), it's much more convenient to check your bags and get your boarding passes from RAC in the morning. Then you only have to deal with your carry-ons. At the airport, you can skip the airline counter and go straight to security and your departure gate. You'll see your checked bags again at your home airport at baggage claim.

Your Disney's Magical Express (DME) pick-up from your resort will be scheduled for 3 hours (plus or minus up to 15 minutes) before your scheduled flight departure. For a 7:00 p.m. flight, it would be some time between 3:45 p.m. and 4:15 p.m. You should be at the pick=up location at least 10 minutes before your pick-up time.

21. Kathymford

Kathymford A little obsessed is ok....right?

So if i am reading these posts correctly, both RAC check-in and ME pick-up is 3 hours before flight departure. Is that correct?

So if I have a 10:45 am flight, I need to be checking into both by 730 am??

(A side note, this does not sound like a fun way to end vacation, does it?)