Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Jimmo46

Jimmo46 Earning My Ears

Hi:
    We have magic express reservations and they have all information. How far in advance does the packet and tags arrive? We leave 9/21/11.
    Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Coconuts

Coconuts DIS Veteran

Thanks, I obviously missed it. That makes things easier so book trips because now we can use SW on our return flight.

4. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

They usually send out the info packet about 4 weeks prior to travel. If you get to two weeks prior, and haven't received anything, you should call DME directly. Note that I say 'call DME directly'..I didn't say call whomever you booked your resort stay with, or call Disney. You really want to call DME..they can do whatever needs to be done.

5. toxa

toxa Mouseketeer

I'll arrive by car, but will use DME to depart WDW.

1) Since I live overseas, I didn't get luggage tags. Are those necessary on the way out?

2) I will fly to MIA and then connect to international destination, both flights on AA. Technically, the first leg is domestic, but the airline will check me in both flights, so you may say it's international. Can I still check in at the hotel? What are your experiences?

6. goofy4tink

Nobody uses those yellow tags for their return flights. They are only for MCO arrivals. So...with that in mind, you need to check at the RAC counter (remote airline checkin) at the resort. They can give you any info you may need.

7. rgumidrop

rgumidrop Earning My Ears

Ok sorry if this has already been answered before. We recieved 3 of the yellow tags for our bags but we have 6 pieces of luggage being checked, can we cut them in half or should I call DME? TIA

8. goofy4tink

Call DME and ask for more. They stopped sending two pp when baggage fees became the norm. They figured that the vast majority of passengers were checking just one bag pp, rather than two.

9. rgumidrop

rgumidrop Earning My Ears

Thanks so much called them this morning.

10. DisneyGuess

DisneyGuess DIS Veteran

I know I saw this answered somewhere but can't find it now.
    They have our flight numbers on our DME reservation correct but the times both state 12am. I realize that's probably a default time. Will the times be updated the closer we get to our travel dates?

Also, I asked but haven't gotten any response yet, is it possible to use DME to get to our resorts but take a taxi back to MCO on departure day? The 3 hour pick up time is really, really early for us, lol.
    Any idea on a taxi rate from Disney resorts (POR) to MCO?

11. goofy4tink

As far as your arrival vouchers, it doesn't make any difference what time it states for flight arrival. They don't really care what time you arrive. They can, and do, track arrival times...doesn't matter what the vouchers say.

As far as getting back to MCO..yes, you can take a cab. You can check your bags at your resort that morning (with RAC) and get your boarding passes issued. Then, you can head to MCO in any fashion you want.
    But, be careful. Many say that 3 hrs is too long. Most of us, who travel there frequently, if booking a car service ask for pickup to be about 2.5 hrs prior to flight departure. Many have posted about longer than normal waits in security, or running into an issue on the road.
    Just don't try to cut it too close. You can get a cab, or car service, for about $60 one way.

12. DisneyGuess

DisneyGuess DIS Veteran

So, if we used a taxi, instead of leaving at 6am for our 9am flight, we'd leave at 6:30am....& pay around $60. for 30 minutes. I think we'll just stick with DME, hehe, hubby can get over it, it's not a great deal of more time for us to get ready.
    Another question, where is the DME bus stop? In front of the lobby where you check-in & out? So, we should plan on being down there by 5:30-5:45 at the latest?

13. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

The exact location of the DME stop will vary by resort. You'll know it as soon as you arrive at the resort, though, because the pick-up spot is the same as the drop-off spot.

The day before your departure day, you'll receive written notice of your scheduled pick-up time, along with instructions. Please heed the instructions, especially the one that tells you to be there at least 15 minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.

14. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

Well said. I agree 100%. 3 hrs sounds like a lot but really, the time flies. Especially if you want to eat before you fly. Given the "arrive 2 hrs before your flight time," travel time to the airport whomever takes you there (allowing extra time for usual traffic/accident delays) and the 2.5 hrs of the flight, we need a real meal at the airport. The little flight snack doesn't cut it for our teen boys.

15. ruadisneyfan2

ruadisneyfan2 DIS Veteran

They know your flight time based on your flight # so make sure that is accurate. They can change from the time you book to the time you actually fly.

16. mdrob214

mdrob214 <font color=deeppink>Denise a.k.a. Mikki and Pooh

If we have an 8:30 am flight....can we still use RAC? Our ME bus should be picking us up ~5-5:30, I figure. Of course, we can always take our one checked bag with us, but I'd rather do it at the resort. We've never had an early morning flight before. Thanks!

17. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

You SHOULD be able to use RAC. It'll depend on your pick-up time (which you'll find out on the morning of the day before your departure day) and if you get there before any line develops ... RAC opens at 5:00 a.m.

18. goofy4tink

Be out at the RAC counter before they open at 5....that way you should be done by 5:10....with an 8:30 flight, your pickup time could be anytime between 5:20-5:40.
    If your pickup time is at 5:20 or so, send everyone out to the bus stop, and have just one adult be at RAC...one parent should be able to check everyone else in....then, if the bus arrives early, the rest of the family can ask the driver to hold for about 2 mins, if dad isn't quite done yet. But, be out at the RAC counter before they open...best solution.

19. mdrob214

mdrob214 <font color=deeppink>Denise a.k.a. Mikki and Pooh

Thank you, both! I double-checked, and the actual flight time is 8:20. I can be at RAC before 5, no problem. It's just DH and I this trip and a fairly short one at that. We may not even have a checked bag--we're considering carry-on only. But we're flying SW and I'd like to let them take my bags. I did pay for it, after all (indirectly). lol

20. DisneyGuess

DisneyGuess DIS Veteran

Does anyone know, if you arrive at MCO late, 10:30pm, I know they aren't delivering luggage at that time, but will ME still pick up your luggage & have it delivered the next morning? Or do you have to get your luggage yourself that night?

21. goofy4tink

Your luggage will be pulled and put aside...where I have no idea. My issue is that if there are no DME workers to pull the bags out before they get to the public baggage claim area, what does happen to these tagged bags??? I am assuming that they go out to the carousels with all the other checked bags, and when no one shows up to get the DME tagged bags, they are pulled and put aside until the following morning, when DME workers collect them. Now....I don't really want my bags going around and around, unsupervised, on that baggage carousel.
    I would just leave it untagged and get it yourself. Adds a short time to your overall time.