Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Hi Jen.....I can't tell you exactly how early you can do the bag check/airline check-in. I have always had a morning flight. But you shouldn't have any problem checking in with the airline people at the resort when you are checking out of the resort. I believe their desk opens at 5 a.m. Just a side note...your bags are not transported via DME...it is a service basically provided by those 'pariticipating' airlines. You deal directly with TSA (or whatever they're called) right at the resort. The bags may go back to the airport via the DME truck but I can't say for sure.
    And yes, once you have checked your luggage at your resort, you can just go directly to the security lines...no need to stop at the airline counter. I just love being able to do that!!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Magical JenK

Magical JenK DIS Veteran

Diane-
    Oh that's wonderful to know! I understand now! Thanks so much! It will be so nice to get that all done before we go to the parks for our last few hours!! :0( And how nice to not drag around our luggage through the airport! That's awesome! Thanks again! What would I do w/o the DIS boards?!
    Jen

4. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

12 hours before your flight is the maximum you can use Resort Airline Check-In.

5. Magical JenK

Magical JenK DIS Veteran

Great! Thanks Carol! We should be just fine then!! :)
    Jen

6. emmabelle

emmabelle <font color=darkorchid>I better watch out or my ta

I just booked my flights with Southwest and plan to use ME for the arrival, we don't need it for the departure because will be on DCL. My guestion is that our flight gets in at 10:00am, will the Beach Club just put our luggage in storage if the room isn't ready when it arrives?

7. mickey mommy

mickey mommy Mouseketeer

Wow. This is wonderful! All my questions have been answered!!!!

8. clkelley

Yes, your luggage will be put into storage and delivered to your room later in the day. Once you arrive, also give your carryons to bell services and they will be delivered when your room is ready. Head for the parks, lunch, pool, whatever. Enjoy your day. When you return to your room that evening, your luggage will be there.

9. emmabelle

emmabelle <font color=darkorchid>I better watch out or my ta

Thanks, I was wondering about the carryons, I didn't want to drag them to the pool with us. :)

10. huey578

huey578 Test Track Dummy

Does anyone know how far in advance I can book a flight with Southwest ? I need to book a flight for 10/21 - 10/28

11. m4travel

m4travel <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Sorry, but Southwest is only booking flights through the end of September at the present time.

12. Chip 'n Dale Express

Chip 'n Dale Express Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o

** NEW UPDATE **

Alaska Airlines is now a participating airline, as of Monday April 24th.

13. egroegsacul

egroegsacul Earning My Ears

Just got back and figured out why we got two sets of DME packets. Because we had a room price change during our stay, we had two reservations, hence two DME reservations; one on arrival and one for departure.

14. PrincessNED

PrincessNED <font color=teal>I can certainly attest it was not

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but...

Picked up tiks and ME tags from our CAA (AAA) travel agent today and she told me we had to put the tags on after our luggage arrives in orlando. ie we have to recover our bags from carosel and then add the yellow tags then hand off the bags to a ME representative.

From everything I have read so far shouldn't I be able to tag the bags in Winnipeg and just proceed to the welcome centre? Or do I still have to gather the bags from the carosel?

We clear US customs in Winnipeg before boarding our United Airlines flight to Chicago where we connect to Orlando( also United). So we are not an international arrival cause the flight landing in Orlando is from Chicago.

15. PrincessNED

PS - I asked her to confirm what she was saying with other agents in the office and she called back and said yes I'd have to claim the luggage and tag in Orlando.

DO the people at CAA have it wrong??

16. Chip 'n Dale Express

Chip 'n Dale Express Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o

Well... yes, and no...

For those guests travelling internationally, who will need to go through Customs... you claim your bags at the airport, proceed through Customs, and then you drop your bags back off after Customs, and instead of re-claiming them, they get transported to the resort. So, I guess you could tag your bags at home... or when you claim them for Customs... either way.

Your best bet is to call DME directly using thier 866 number which is somewhere on here, probably on the first page. (Sorry, I dont have it handy) They will confirm the real story.

17. clkelley

If you do pass through customs in Orlando, you only have to claim your bags at customs, then they go back on a conveyer belt and are transported to regular baggage claim for you, at which time if the yellow tags are on them, the Magical Express folks will retrieve them for you.

If you go through customs elsewhere then your bags should go directly to the regular baggage claim area, and if the yellow tags are on your bags, then the Magical Express folks will retrieve them for you.

18. Legend of Odon

Legend of Odon Mouseketeer

Last May we flew Toronto to Orlando direct, checked our bags at Pearson, cleared customs in TO and the next time we saw our luggage was in our room at AKL after a quick check in and lunch. Next stop the pool by early afternoon after we unpacked, then onto a wonderful meal at Boma........the whole thing worked like a charm! So fingers crossed you can clear customs in Canada and you won't have to lift a single bag until you go to unpack after your arrival! Good luck and have a blast.

19. PrincessNED

Thanks everyone!!

I'm going to tag them here after they are inspected by customs as I suspect we can.

I'll let you know if we get our bags ok.

20. Tinkwantabe

Tinkwantabe Earning My Ears

How does this work when traveling Southwest. Can we still have someone check us in. If we have a 8p flight out then how soon do we need to leave for the airport?

this is one of the most helpful threads I have read so far

21. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

You'll be given a departure time the day before you check out of your resort. It is usually about 3 hrs before your flight time. So, that would make you leaving at around 5ish. If you want to check in with SW and get those A seats, then you should be able to do that within 24 hrs. of your flight time...stop by the front desk of your resort and ask them to get your 'SW boarding passes printed out please'. I've had very good luck having this done. Leave your luggage with the bell services people for the day. Go off, have fun. Then, at around 4:30ish, go back to bell services, get your luggage and head over to the DME bus area.
    Hope this helps!!