Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ldb1030

ldb1030 DIS Veteran

This question is probably on here somewhere but can't find it.
    So if we don't want to wait for our luggage, we just don't tag them, pick them up ourselves, take them to the bus and they load them for us and then we can get them right away when we get to our resort? :confused3

We get in late and don't want to be up waiting for them.

thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

I think when you say "if we don't want to wait for our luggage" you're referring to waiting in your resort room and not waiting at baggage claim, right? If that's the case, then you are absolutely correct, if you DO NOT put the yellow DME tags on your checked luggage you CAN get the bags at baggage claim, then bring them to the DME Welcome Center, then have the driver load them on the bus. When you arrive at your resort, the driver will unload your bags for you, and you have them from there. Simple.

The 2 most important things to remember: DON'T put DME tags on your bags; DO go to baggage claim BEFORE you go to the DME Welcome Center.

4. abner1776

abner1776 DIS Veteran

If someone is staying on property but flying into Orlando/Sanford airport, can they transfer/limo/cab over to MCO and then get on ME at MCO ? ...and on the return trip can they utilize ME for the trip to MCO ? Obviously, no baggage check in would be involved with ME.

5. ldb1030

ldb1030 DIS Veteran

Thank you SO much! Just what I wanted to hear! :cheer2:
    One more think, where is the DME Welcome Center from baggage claim?

6. Chip 'n Dale Express

Chip 'n Dale Express Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o

Yes... but the savings versus the additional time delays and transfer hassle might not be worth it.

7. Bambi5826

Bambi5826 Mouseketeer<br><font color="red">The Tag Fairy say

Wow! Great thread. Thanks to everyone with input. All of my questions were answered, and then some! My mind is at ease now.

8. almacdonald

almacdonald DIS Veteran

Just a little more clarity on this answer please.

If we pick up our own checked baggage (sans yellow tag) at the airport and bring them to the ME check-in desk, the driver will put those bags under the same bus that we are travelling on and when we get to the resort he will take them out from under the bus and give them to us and we will then carry them to our room ourselves?

If the above is correct, who do we tip and who is already covered?

If we bring our own baggage to the ME check-in will it always go on the same bus as us?

If we let magical express do their thing, do they unload luggage at each resort as guests are getting off or do they take it to a central place to sort them out and redistribute.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just really leary about not having my own luggage with me the whole time. I don't wanna be neekid for my whole trip!

9. Chip 'n Dale Express

If you claim your bags as one normally would, it will go on the same bus as you. At the resort, the driver will unload the bags, you will take them with you. It's just like if you were taking a towncar. Except it's a 45 foot towncar. Gratuity is not covered for anyone, so it would be customary to tip anyone who handles your bag. That's at your discretion.

If you DO tag your bags... they will get pulled as soon as the bag comes off the plane. They get taken to a sorting facility (that works much like a UPS sorting facility). The bag will get scanned no less than 5 times, so its location is always known. The bags will be automatically delivered to your room, and you don't need to be there. Gratuity for the bags on this inbound journey is taken care of.

10. egroegsacul

egroegsacul Earning My Ears

I booked our upcoming trip and opted for using ME. I gave the cast member my flight information. We are flying in and leaving on Southwest. Received our incoming luggage tags 7-10 days later. Then, about two days later, I received outbound luggage tags for Southwest. Is this correct since Southwest is not a participating airline and do we still give all of our bags to bell services until our time to be picked up? Will our bags travel with us on the return to MCO or will they be sent seperately? I would understand if we didn't receive return luggage tags, but we did ...

Thanks in advance.

11. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I've never seen any luggage tags for the return trip to MCO. If you are flying SW, then you will be taking your luggage with you, but they go underneath the bus, for the return to MCO. Bell Services will hold your bags until you claim them for the return trip. I would be curious about any tags that you got for the trip back from your resort to the airport. That's a new one on me.

12. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

A coupla thoughts:

1) If you received something from the airline (ANY airline), it has nothing to do with DME. Period. Even people who are using DME and flying a "participating" airline don't receive any type of luggage tags for their return home.

2) Please post again and describe the second set of tags for us. Maybe someone reading your description can help identify what it is you're talking about. Maybe you should also describe the first set of tags you received. A lot of people receive the hard plastic WDW luggage tags, the ones with the blank business-card size paper behind a plastic sleeve, and incorrectly think these are the DME luggage tags. Those are not DME luggage tags. The DME luggage tags are yellow sticky paper, are pre-printed with all kinds of identifying information, and are bound into your DME booklet.

There are people here willing to help, so please respond. :goodvibes

13. Chip 'n Dale Express

I'm wondering if they are the new redesigned DME (inbound) luggage tags...

14. egroegsacul

The tags I received are DME tags with our departing flight information on them (pretty sure, they're at home and I'm at work). I'll have to verify the information on them when I get home, but they are Definately DME tags (the yellow sticky tags that came with the DME booklet). I received two DME packets, one incoming and one outbound about two days apart.

15. Philadisney

Philadisney <font color=blue>In the Name of Epcot<br><font col

i booked DME in January for our May trip....still haven't gotten anything in the mail. Should I be worried? Who should I call about this?? :confused3

16. Magical JenK

Magical JenK DIS Veteran

I had this same question for our trip in September. I see the answer is yes, however I do have one other question...does DME need to know that I want to use the airline check-in/bag check? Or said another way, I told my TA that we won't be using the DME for our departure. Should I tell her we are? Does it make a difference? Does my question even make sense???? (DME First Timer)

Please advise.
    Jen

17. egroegsacul

I just checked both booklets. The first one I received has our arrival info on the "Flight Arrival Information" page. On the departure page it says "No Flight Information Provided". The second booklet I received has "No Flight Information Provided" on the arrival page and our departure information on the departure page. The luggage tags are correct for both respectively. The DME vouchers in the first package have our arrival date and the vouchers in the second package have our departure date.

Curious, huh?

18. Chameleon

Chameleon Mouseketeer

Can I use the DME to transport my luggage to my room? I want to rent a small car and have the DME take my luggage to my room and also to the airport on the way home. Is this possible?

Thanks

19. goofy4tink

No. DME was not designed to be a luggage transfer service. If you don't use DME yourself, there is no telling if your bags will get to the resort. Evidently, from what we have heard, your voucher is scanned when you board the bus. This is what tells the baggage people that you are there and releases your bags. If you want to rent a car, then someone from your party must use the bus.

20. goofy4tink

I'm assuming that you want to use the bag check-in for your return to the airport at the end of your vacation. Yes, you can do that. This, technically, isn't part of DME. If you were planning on using the bus for your return to the airport, then, yes..you would have to let DME know. But not if you are just going to check your luggage through.

21. Magical JenK

Magical JenK DIS Veteran

Great! Thanks Diane! Yes, I would just use it to check our luggage & airline check-in for our return flight since NWA is now part of the DME program. We are using DME to arrive at the resort, but will have a rental car to get us to the airport for our return flight.
    So I can just check-in for our flight home & check our baggage at the resort, leave it for the DME to bring to the airport & the next I'll see our luggage is when we land? And just to confirm, since we will have already checked-in at the resort for our flight, once we arrive at the airport, we can just go right through security. No need to go to the NWA counter, correct?
    Last question, when checking in for the flight at the resort, how early can you do that (check-in)? Our flight is at 530pm & we are going to the parks before. Hoping I can do the flight check-in & baggage check when we check-out of our resort???
    Thanks
    Jen