Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

I have seem a portable baggage weight scale in most of the larger stores...Target, Kohls, etc. They aren't very expensive and are pretty small, so you can just tuck them into the bag after weighing.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. nandc619

nandc619 Earning My Ears

I found several on Ebay and Amazon. I just did a search for "portable luggage scale" or "digital luggage scale." They seem to mostly be around $15-$20, and they fit in the palm of your hand. I think that's definitely worth it for me- I always cram as much as possible in my bags and never learn.... :)

4. Beauties n the Beast

Beauties n the Beast Mouseketeer

Ok, so I've read the first post fully as well as a few of the other pages of posts....but I still have a question (or actually, want to clarify something). If I fly in on Southwest, DME is OK for me to use since I'm staying at a Disney resort - I would just have to grab my own bags and bring them to the bus? Also on the departure flight, IF I fly out using Southwest I would not be eligible for RAC so therefore would need to take my bags with me upon checkout and bring them to the bus whenever I am leaving? In that case, I'd say a last minute day at the park is out of the question! So I'm thinking to fly out using AirTran, to be able to use RAC!
    Anyway, those would be my two questions....thanks (and I hope I am not repeating another already asked!!)

5. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

No.

Everyone on every airline gets the automatic luggage handling on your arrival day.
    Yes.

THIS is the only difference airline makes ... it only matters for the day you leave, NOT the day you arrive.

Arrival day is identical for everyone on every airline.

6. Beauties n the Beast

Beauties n the Beast Mouseketeer

Great, thank you so much!!

7. dsquarednz

dsquarednz Mouseketeer

We went one step further and bought bags that weigh themselves! The main airline of the country we live in (New Zealand) is quite specific about baggage weight, as we learned when we moved here.

The brand is Ricardo, but I'm not sure if they still make the self-weighing bags.

8. disney4us2002

disney4us2002 Tagless by choice!!

Wait, are you saying there is no way to check out and store the luggage somewhere if your flight is later in the day? We're flying SW and we don't leave until 6:45pm so we had planned to do some things in Disney that final day. We certainly cannot carry around all our luggage.

9. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

You can store the luggage with bell services at your resort. With a 6:45 pm flight, your DME bus departure will be anywhere from 3:30 - 4pm. You need to arrive at Bell Services about 30 - 40 minutes before your bus departure time and can retrieve your luggage then and proceed to the DME bus area. You then check your luggage with SW when you arrive at the airport.

10. pbthompson

pbthompson Mouseketeer

Okay, I have been reading and reading posts. I haven't seen this exact answer, so if it has been answered already please forgive me.

We are flying in on 8/16 on Southwest. So all we would have to do is go to the DME and jump on the bus. On the way back, we would have to bring our own bags from the bus to the baggage check in, correct?

I have been thinking about possibly flying in on 8/15 (problem is I can't stay at Disney because our free dining plan starts on 8/16), if we stay off site for the night and get our own bags then hit Universal or something on the 15th could we go back to the airport on the 16th and catch the DME to Disney? Can anyone recommend a hotel near the airport and Universal?

Thank you in advance.

11. goofy4tink

Where are you staying at WDW? I would be very tempted to just stay that first night at Disney, in one of the value resorts. You can get a ride, via Mears, over to Universal or hire a car service to take you for about $70.
    If you decide you really want to stay closer to Universal, I would check over on the Universal boards..they have some good ideas of the hotels that are close to Universal.
    http://www.disboards.com/announcement.php?f=75&a=243
    This link may have some hotels that interest you. But remember, you have to get from the airport to that hotel, then from that hotel to either MCO (to take DME to your resort) or directly to your resort.
    If it were me, I think I would head right to WDW, stay there for that night and hire a towncar to get me to Universal and back.

12. pbthompson

pbthompson Mouseketeer

We are staying at the Pop. Our travel agent said that if we go in on th 15th we will lose the free dining and I don't want to do that. My kids have never been to Universal so I thought they may like that. But the hassle free DME is tempting...

13. goofy4tink

I know that many people stay at a resort for a night before their package starts and it doesn't impact the package. You should be able to book just that one night. OF course, it will mean making a move the next day. But, you're going to move anyway. But, you won't be in the same room, hence the move. I just think it makes more sense to do it that way. Then, you can take DME on your arrival day, the 15th, head to Universal if you wish via Mears, then the next day move your bags to your new room.

14. clkelley

clkelley <font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo

As said before, make a 1-night reservation at POP on the 15th totally separate. You might not even have to change rooms.

15. WizardLarz

WizardLarz DIS Veteran

Please bare with me. Southwest is not a participate in RAC, I know this! But, If you call BAGS and pay for your luggage fees then you don't have to drag you bags to the bus and to check-in ,Correct? OK then. if this is the case, what do I do about the fact that Sothwest does not have a baggage fee for the first two bags. Does BAGS send over Information or tags to RAC so that my bags can be gotten by ME the day of my flight so I don't worry about them. It is a little confusing.
    The reason I ask is Southwest and America Airlines are the two airlines that offer nonstop flights from St. Louis,MO to MCO, AA has just one flight but SW has four. The AA flight home is 9:30am wich means doing luggage the evening before bedand getting up at 5:00 am to make sure I get the 6:30 bus to MCO. If I fly SW I can choose a later flight ,like 4:30pm and not worry about missing the bus, because I overslept.
    So If any one can Help striaghten out my confusion, Thanks!:worship:

16. goofy4tink

Okay, I'm confused as well. SW has nothing to do with RAC or baggage checkin at the resort. It doesn't matter what their baggage fees are, or aren't. If you fly SW, for your return home, you have to take your bags with you, to the DME bus back to the airport. The bags are stowed underneat the bus you are riding on. Then, you go to the checkin counter at MCO, for SW, and get rid of your checked bags.
    Only those who are flying home on those 'participating' airlines get to check their bags at the resort. So..if you choose to fly home on that 4:30pm flight on SW, you will be told to be at the bus stop by 1:30, and in your case, bags in hand.
    I'm not sure if I've answered your question though.

17. incruzcontrol2

incruzcontrol2 Mouseketeer

Hello.. I'm not sure if this is where I am suppose to ask but here it goes... We are staying at Pop Century Resort for our WDW vacation and are utilizing DME. However, on our last day after we check out, we would like to eat at the Ohana Character Breakfast at the Polynesian Resort. Do we have to go back to Pop Resort to use the DME or can we take it out of the Polynesian Resort since we will already be there? It seems just like a waste of another shuttle when we're already leaving that day. Thanks.

18. goofy4tink

Yes, you have to go back to POP to pick up the DME bus. Your DME reservation is tied to your resort reservation. There may be a time, down the road, that Disney allows us to choose where we wish to depart from, but at the moment that is just not the case.
    If you don't wish to have to leave the Polynesian and return to POP, you can always book a private car service to pick you up at the Polynesian and take you to the airport. It will cost about $60 or so, but will save you that time.

19. incruzcontrol2

incruzcontrol2 Mouseketeer

Thank you for answering that. We'll just cancel our breakfast and stay at Pop--I think it's just easier.

20. goofy4tink

Good plan...it's much nicer than worrying about being late for the bus. Hang at the resort, eat, and maybe go for a last minute swim before heading to the airport. That's what we do.

21. swimgirl1425

swimgirl1425 Earning My Ears

so the airline doesn't even matter?