Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Chip 'n Dale Express, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Elysiannn

Elysiannn Mouseketeer

Opps, I am flying out with Spirit which isn't on the list so does that mean I need to get to the airport on my own? I also will hand carry my own luggage both ways. Ely

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. CleveRocks

CleveRocks <font color=red>Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

It will be very very helpful for you if you read the first post in this thread.

EVERYONE on EVERY AIRLINE gets the following services through Disney's Magical Express:

• free ROUND-TRIP motorcoach transportation between Orlando International Airport and your Disney resort (round-trip as in a ride from airport to hotel on your first day, and a ride from your hotel to the airport on your last day).
    • free ONE-WAY automatic luggage handling/delivery TO your hotel (you put special tags on your bags at home, you check your bags with your airline like usual, but at MCO you skip baggage claim because your bags will be automatically delivered to the inside of your room).

The ONLY thing that flying a participating airline does for people is that it gets them the baggage handling on the way home ... they get to use Resort Airline Check-in, which is like curbside check-in only it's in your hotel lobby rather than at the airport.

So, if you follow this, you'll see that if you fly Spirit, you get the bus ride in each direction, and you get the luggage delivery on your arrival day.

4. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Eric is totally correct here.
    It is worth mentioning that DME and RAC are two different entities. One has nothing to do with the other. Disney tends to market them together though.
    Every guest at a WDW owned resort is entitled to a ride to and from the airport. Makes no difference what airline they are using. Heck, I've taken DME back to MCO in order to pick up my rental car (cheaper there than at WDW).

"Participating airlines" is important when you are discussing RAC...Remote airline checkin. Each airline has to make the choice as to whether or not it wants to 'participate' in the RAC program. I believe it may cost the airlines a bit per passenger, but could be wrong. I will say that I try to book participating airlines simply because I like getting rid of my checked bags right at the resort...so, those airlines that 'participate' get more of my WDW business...so, the airlines made a good choice.

How you handle your luggage each way is up to you. You can have DMEtake care of it upon arrival or you can leave it untagged and grab it yourself from baggage claim. As for departure, the bags would go with you on the DME bus because Spirit isn't a 'participating' airline.

5. jeanylaser

jeanylaser Embassy Suites Orlando-Lake Buena Vista big fan

Thanks for the info! I'm not confused anymore!

6. goofy4tink

Excellent...have a wonderful birthday trip!!

7. Cupcake88

Cupcake88 Mouseketeer

We purchased our AirTran tickets prior to the baggage fee being imposed and therefore shouldn't have to pay it on the way back. Do I need any documentation for this or will RAC know when we check in to leave?

8. goofy4tink

Your status as far as luggage fees should show when they go to do your boarding passes.

9. Cupcake88

Cupcake88 Mouseketeer

Thanks Diane!

10. JohnsonsRUs

JohnsonsRUs Mouseketeer

I have a quick question, sorry if this has been asked before. If we are planning to do the RAC, does that mean our time to go back to the airport will be shorter? For example, we are scheduled to be picked up 3 hours before our flight, but since we don't have to hassle with luggage, we really would only need 2 hours.

Thanks.

11. goofy4tink

Nope. RAC has little, to nothing, to do with DME. DME picks you up abouy 3 hrs before your flight departure because they need that much time to get you to MCO at the recommended 2 hrs before flight time (as recommended by MCO). Sometimes, you will be on a bus that heads right for the airport, which will get you to the airport with 2 1/2 hrs to kill.
    But, there are other times where the bus will make other stops along the way. Then, there could be traffic on the highway, or God forbid, an accident. Security can be longish. I have had wait times of about 15 mins usually, but have been in a line, once, that took me close to half an hour to get through. I have also seen hugely long lines at security as I was walking past...arriving at MCO.

When you checkin with RAC, you get your bags checked right there, and your boarding passes issued. So that will mean you have more time to spend checking out shops and restaurants at MCO. No need to go through baggage checkin first..just head right to security.

12. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

1. Does anyone know, if our ticket is through delta but the first leg is via Alaska as their partner, if we will have to pay for those first bags? Trying to determine how much to carry on.

and

2. Our flight info does not show on the luggage tags that arrived (although clearly someone wrote it down when I called or they wouldn't have sent the ME tags in the first place). Do I need to call and give it to them again and make sure they have it and will we need new replacement tags?

Thanks!

13. goofy4tink

I can't help with the baggage question...may be best to go to the specific airline site for that answer, but as far as your DME tags go..your tags won't have flight info on them. You may find the flight info inside the info packet. As long as the bar code is there, you should be good to go. DME doesn't really care about your arriving flight info. Your departing flight info is much more important. If that is incorrect or not evident, you can give them the correct info when you check in. In fact, they will most likely ask you about it at that time.

14. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

Thanks! no it's not in the documents but if they don't need it for the inbound, I won't worry about it. thanks!

15. Disneyfan71

Disneyfan71 Paging Mr. Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow, your par

If you add airline tickets on your WDW reservation, do you get the special luggage tags ahead of time? I've never done this before.

16. noname70

noname70 Mouseketeer

I'm arriving in Orlando a week before my Disney vacation and staying off property. I'll be renting a car at MCO and returning it to MCO on the first day of my Disney stay at WL.
    This is the rule bend...can I tell DME that I am arriving on a flight (that I am not really on) the day I return the car-get on the DME Bus-and check in to the WL?

FLame on....:firefight

17. CleveRocks

Disney's Magical Express is related to your RESORT reservation. It has nothing to do with how you bought your flights or through whom.

Contact whomever you booked your WDW reservation through ... if you booked through Disney, call 407-W-DISNEY, if you booked through a travel agent then call your travel agent.

Tell them you want to make a reservation for Disney's Magical Express. DME is free (it's part of your DIsney room reservation), but it's not automatic; you must opt in, you must tell them you want it.

They will ask your flight information, so they'll know about when you're arriving and when you'll be going back home.

Once you tell them, that's all you need to do for a while. About a month or so before your trip, you will receive a mailing from DME. It will be a booklet of instructions and vouchers, as well as the special DME luggage tags ... these tags are paper, bright yellow sticky paper that is pre-printed with your pertinent travel information (name, resort name, reservation number, etc.).

At home, you'll put one of those tags on each suitcase that you will check with your airline (each suitcase that you will hand over to the airline ... you won't need to tag your carry-on bags).

On your departure day, check your bags with your airline like normal. Your airline at your home airport has no idea what Disney's Magical Express is, and they don't need to. Your bags don't get treated in any special way until they are unloaded in Orlando. From there, bags with those bright yellow DME tags are separated from the rest of the bags, and are taken to Disney's luggage sorting facility on the grounds of the airport. They are sorted and then delivered by truck to your resort, and your bags should be inside your room within about 3 hours of when you check-in at your resort, and the bags will be put inside your room whether you're in there or not.

The neat thing is that, after you land, you skip baggage claim. You go right to the DME counter at the airport (the DME instruction booklet has directions). You are directed to a bus.

Great system. FREE works for me, too.:)

18. CleveRocks

The cool thing is that you're NOT bending any rules! :dancer:

There is absolutely no rule that says you must fly into Orlando on your check-in day. The rules are that you must be named on a WDW room reservation, your ride from MCO to your resort must be on or after your check-in day, and your ride from your resort to MCO must be on or before yoru check-in day. That's all!

You can do as you say. Or if you prefer, you can wait 'til you're less than 60 days before your trip and call DME directly ... they'll understand your situation and you won't need to tell them bogus flight information. But if you call the main Disney number, the people there won't understand the system fully, and you'd need to supply them bogus flight info.

No matter which way you do it, you are FULLY entitled to that DME ride from the airport to your resort on your WDW check-in day, no matter how you got yourself to the airport.

No one will flame you about this, at least no one who hangs around the Transportation board, because we know there's nothng flammable in your post. :goodvibes

19. goofy4tink

Not a problem at all. Many people do something similar. If they arrive the day before and don't want to spend the night at WDW, they get a cheap room at the airport (or closeby), then give DME the flight times of an arriving flight that matches when they will be needing a ride to their resort.
    Not bending any rules at all. The thing I would do? I would drive to WL, get checked in, get rid of the bags, then return the car to MCO, and take DME back to the resort.

20. noname70

noname70 Mouseketeer

Thanks to you both:thumbsup2

21. jeanylaser

jeanylaser Embassy Suites Orlando-Lake Buena Vista big fan

thanks for the info!